DaVinci Resolve vs Vegas Pro

Unicus

Member
Hi,

I am good with Vegas Pro, but suck at DaVinci, can anyone do a tutorial like one I did showing how to crop and pan in Vegas Pro 18? I have been trying for hours no luck. Searching YouTube no luck. I can do this effect in Vegas Pro in 60 seconds see:

Video tutorial here for Vegas Pro 18:

https://www.screencast.com/t/bHBQ3gzvZIhx

Can anyone please help me with this in DaVinci?


Thanks
 
Dynamic zoom will not do what he is asking about. It will only zoom in or out. Or to two positions by changing red and green boxes. To pan and keep zoom size the same or even change zoom keyframes are needed so using inspector is a more complete solution. It can be made to work just fine but nowhere as easy as Vegas since it is possible in Vegas to see exactly the action being taken with the source still there and as he shows done with a mouse. I have EDIUS, Vegas and Resolve and I agree with him that Vegas is the easiest to see visually what is being asked of the software.

So to answer his question he needs to use inspector and set zoom and position with keyframe at beginning then at the end or any other position. But the user interface is not like Vegas at all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFk1J3jlt2A This is one I found but there must be others.
 
In Vegas I am sure I learned that crop and pan on my own, its an easy program to use, I can do that effect on 60 seconds with Vegas Pro.
 
Why do you want to use Resolve ? It is still fast in inspector if you know what to do. It just isn't graphical like Vegas using the mouse. Size with zoom, position with X & Y set keyframe, set new position and set key frame. Done.
 
There are hardly any on the effect I want on YouTube for DaVinci. I find DaVinci very difficult in certain tasks like this one, I use it all the time for image stabilization, as its superior to Vegas in that department and very easy to use.
 
I am selling my video and don't want to process it in 2 editors, I want the highest quality video for sale.
 
Let us assume you want to change position and zoom.

1) enter the edit page where your clip is on the timeline

2) click your clip so it is orange box around on the timeline

3) move to the beggining of your clip

4) click inspector (top right)

5) click on the diamond shape next to zoom and position (they go orange) - you first key frames

6) zoom or pan/tilt your clip

7) play the clip forward until you want a new zoom/pan/tilt

8) click the diamonds so they become orange

9) zoom pan tilt your clip

10)make more keyframes duing the clip if reuired, repeat

You will see as you play the clip or scrub through it the zoom pan tilt moves from the zoom pan tilt chosen at each keyframe (orange diamond)

If you want a keyframe at the last frame of the clip you go to the end of the clip and step one frame back before creating a key frame.
 
I literally just tried it to check that I'm not drunk. I assumed one would understand that the two frames that Dynamic Zoom offers represent the start and end frame.

The Green frame is start and the Red is end. You can resize and position them as you like by dragging the corners to change their size and the frame to move them. It's a very visual interface and it takes no key framing at all, and you don't need to "set" anything. In his example the frames are cropped in and would have the Green on the left and Red offset to the right.

I would say it's half the work compared the screencast the OP is offering. But what do I know.
 
I use both Vegas and Resolve. There is no exact equivalent to Resolve's dynamic zoom in Vegas, it's massively convenient but it's just a shortcut, no option for keyframing, i.e. zooming in/out multiple times on the same clip. The equivalent to Vegas pan/crop in Resolve is the "Transform" tool, which pretty much works the same way as Vegas' pan/crop, except you have the pitch/yaw options which are elsewhere in Vegas.
 
Last edited:
Just need someone to show me like I showed here:
https://www.screencast.com/t/bHBQ3gzvZIhx

DaVinci is not that easy to learn like Vegas is.

I'm not the one downvoting you, but it's pretty tempting.

What is this Unicus? You have gotten so many different takes on how to solve your problem. I watched your clip in the other thread and thought "this can be done easily with Dynamic Zoom". I made a screenshot, uploaded it to my server and showed you the button.

Then some mild push-back, and more importantly alternative methods—because let's face it, any NLE has tools that control zoom and position, along with their key frames. Not as "fancy" but extremely easy to work with as well.

Still, I was pretty sure Dynamic Zoom would work so I checked your video clip once more and then did that exact thing on my computer. This time I pointed out what might not have been obvious about how the frames are supposed to work. Not a single keyframe involved. Drag and resize. Set two positions. Just like in Vegas.

You need to apply yourself.
 
There are a lot of people who know Davinci very well like Andreeonline. And I think he answered your question. Though the right place to ask this question is the BM forum.

And now I am curious why you posted the link to your clip four times in this thread? Is that a SEO thing?
 
Back
Top