David Stump quote after RED shoot.

WIth a bayer CFA you don't loose colour gamut - ie, the range of colours. You may loose some chroma resolution, but hey, the human eye is chroma resolution reduced also, and working with raw data allows for very good chroma reconstruction.

As you point out, the image from a DSLR jumps all over and squashes to tiny pieces the image from any 3 CCD video camera!
 
Y.Goh said:
With all due respect Rob, to make a long story short, could you please list out all of the technical issues beside HEAT.

Big companies have their own reasons for not doing certain products, not always a technical ones. Sony's R&D labs have so much advance semiconductor technologies. Canon could easily makes a medium format CMOS sensor with the lowest dark currents in the market, but .......

As far as I know heat is the killer issue.
You could say why not just take the HVX 200 and fit it out with a bigger sensor and RAM instead of flash memory. Oh but hang on, Panny are bad boys and don't want you to have one of those.

If that's what you think then RED isn't that great an achievement, all they've done is something that someone else could have done but wouldn't.

I reject that notion, sure at times companies decide to not build something for commercial reasons but to suggest no one has done this before for solely commercial reasons is plain silly and makes RED's efforts look almost trivial.

There's a world of difference in how we should view RED's efforts between saying "RED is doing something no one else WOULD" and "RED is doing something no one else COULD"
 
im.thatoneguy said:
Well when your only goal is to get the cleanest matte humanely possible. Those two points are the most important aspects. So if he says that resolution and "cleanness" of the image are better than 35mm film then he is effectively saying "this will generate better mattes than film." That doesn't mean the RED camera is going to produce beautiful sunsets, perfect skin tones or would be a good choice on a sitcom. It means your alpha generation is going to be easy.

So the next question is: what's the quality of the image inside of that matte? Footage that is really good for pulling a key can look terrible.

- Gavin

I think you hit the nail on the head. If nothing else, this camera will rule for vfx shots.
 
Will we ever know where it's being made at?

Ya what, I think I know why they won't tell us...

It's because they contracted with Aliens to produce this camera (No other manufacture (on earth) seems to have a contract for it.)...... They don't want to admit it, so they just won't say where it's made.

lol.
 
Last edited:
robroysyd said:
.....You could say why not just take the HVX 200 and fit it out with a bigger sensor and RAM instead of flash memory. Oh but hang on, Panny are bad boys and don't want you to have one of those. If that's what you think then RED isn't that great an achievement, all they've done is something that someone else could have done but wouldn't. I reject that notion, sure at times companies decide to not build something for commercial reasons but to suggest no one has done this before for solely commercial reasons is plain silly and makes RED's efforts look almost trivial.
Just because it's possible in paper to make a 4K S35mm sensor camera doesn't mean that would be a simple and economical upgrade/development from their existing capital investment, it's still involve lots of capital expenditure for this big guys to develop something that's possible in paper. Definitely it's not trivial, but it's possible. Have you worked in/created a company that design, develop and manufacture a product that must mass produce it and manufacture it in an efficient manner, high yield and low cost, and it must be reliable? The trip from paper design to final product is a long way and sometime a costly one. One wrong decision can shut down the project, especially if you have board members that is conservative in their decision.

RED's development in this camera is not trivial at all.
 
Yes I have and I understand only too well what you're saying.
We need to remember that Jim is spending his money on this (and bravo to him for doing it). The design teams that work for the big boys are spending the shareholders money.

Graeme,
that the sensor is something special is the icing on the cake. If it delivers a better image than existing 35mm sized sensor so much the better but I don't know if that's a core part of the challenge or just another great to have. I think most would have been happy with the image quality from existing DSLR sensors. If you've found a way to deliver a better image AND clock them fast enough within reasonable power dissipation, now THAT is a major breakthrough.
 
zeke said:
I've read in a couple of magazines that many people still think a single chip cmos camera can not get the same range of color as a 3 chip camera with a prism.


I do not know much about sensor, but what I have read is that CMOS where in the past not so good but cheaper that CCD, making them perfect for "low quality" video system (I should define low quality, but....so I put the "") (like security, and may be medecine)... then technologic improvment in the CMOS sensor image quality made them a good choice for HighEnd digital camera, as it is easier to produce a big sensor like the size of 35mm negativ, and, I think, it is still cheaper to produce than 3 big CCD sensors.
The Viper has 3 CCD sensor, oppose to the Dalsa Origin and ARRI D20 with their single CMOS sensor and I think the Genesis has a single 35mm sized CCD sensor...
Of what I have read, big single CMOS sensor are going to be more popular in highend digital camera than 3CCD for a time, but technology will continue to change anyway...
 
robroysyd said:
Yes I have and I understand only too well what you're saying.
We need to remember that Jim is spending his money on this (and bravo to him for doing it). The design teams that work for the big boys are spending the shareholders money.
Without Jim's passion for image capture, this wouldn't be done even though it's possible in paper
 
robroysyd said:
Graeme,
that the sensor is something special is the icing on the cake. If it delivers a better image than existing 35mm sized sensor so much the better but I don't know if that's a core part of the challenge or just another great to have. I think most would have been happy with the image quality from existing DSLR sensors. If you've found a way to deliver a better image AND clock them fast enough within reasonable power dissipation, now THAT is a major breakthrough.
I'm wondering if this sensor is done on 900nm or 1.6 microns silicon lithography? If it's 900nm, then it will dissipate lower heat as in most Intel microprocessor.
 
wawaweewa david stump!

Congratulations on the seal of approval. Cant wait to see what the naysayers over at Shelbyville have to say about this.
 
Jannard said:
"The RED Mysterium sensor has finally pushed digital acquisition past the timeless 35mm film barrier in resolution and clean color fidelity". David Stump, ASC

so have you guys put that quote on the website yet? :D
 
At the end of the day, it matters not what the nay-sayers say.
If the camera is worthy, it will be used to make movies.
 
jbeale said:
At the end of the day, it matters not what the nay-sayers say.
If the camera is worthy, it will be used to make movies.

Ofcourse it doesnt matter. It should be rather entertaining however.
 
"Will we ever know where it's being made at?"

No. You won't. It's a secret. I bet you open your presents before xmas too. :-)
 
Last edited:
Y.Goh said:
With all due respect Rob, to make a long story short, could you please list out all of the technical issues beside HEAT.

I'm not sure how to answer that. You can imagine being on the bleeding edge gives you hard problems to crack, that's half the fun of it!
 
Rob Lohman said:
I'm not sure how to answer that. You can imagine being on the bleeding edge gives you hard problems to crack, that's half the fun of it!
I wasn't refering to you, it's the other Rob from Australia
 
Back
Top