D500 - 4K DX uncompressed out....

Where I see the D500 having a good advantage over m43 is with zoom lenses. Take the kit lens option for the D500 which is a 16-80mm f2.8-f4.0 lens. Thats already a faster lens than many m43 zoom lenses plus the D500 should be about a stop more sensitive than m43. In essence using that kit lens would be like shooting with the GH4 with a 16-80mm f2.0-f2.8 lens. Thats a pretty solid advantage over the GH4 with its 12-35mm f2.8 lens options. Maybe not as wide at 16mm vs 12mm but it has a much longer reach at 80mm vs 35mm.
Is this comparison of D500 vs M43 for still shooting rather than video? If so, any Nikon would be a better choice for stills than any Panasonic camera, and the D500 would perform much like other Nikon DX cameras.

WRT video, I can't image anyone would prefer a Nikon f2.8-4 kit zoom over a fixed-aperture f2.8 zoom. On the D500, however, shooting in 1080p mode would give you a 2.2x crop ratio, compared to about 2x on an MFT camera, and 1.5x on a Nikon D5x00 model. With video, there are few cases where you'd want the D500's telephoto effect, you're more often needing a wider rather than narrower lens. This disparity in 4K vs 1080p FOV on the D500 makes it an awkward choice for a general-purpose video DSLR. IMO, Nikon is seriously fumbling the 4K video proposition.
 
After nearly 30yrs of using Nikon, I've had enough of their way of thinking. Crippling the video makes absolutely no sense, so it might be time to move on to either the new Sony or Panasonic.
 
shooting in 1080p mode would give you a 2.2x crop ratio, compared to about 2x on an MFT camera, and 1.5x on a Nikon D5x00 model. .

Where do you get this info?
You can shoot 1080P without using the additional 1.3 crop and it will use the entire width of the Sensor.
 
Where do you get this info?
You can shoot 1080P without using the additional 1.3 crop and it will use the entire width of the Sensor.
You're right, I misread the crop rectangles diagrammed in this article:


On the D500, it's actually the 4K video mode that has a crop factor of 2.2. The 1080p mode can be shot with crop factors of either 1.5 or 2.0.
 
IMO, Nikon is seriously fumbling the 4K video proposition.

Still doing a better job at 4K video for the masses than Canon is! (Canon isn't at all....)

Just remember how bad Nikon's first go with HD video was with the Nikon D90! They're already doing better with 4K this time around than with HD before :) So I'm sure in rather quick order 4K will be even more appealing from Nikon. Just wait for the D5600/D7300/D760/D900/D620/whatever to come along! ;)
 
Still doing a better job at 4K video for the masses than Canon is! (Canon isn't at all....)

Just remember how bad Nikon's first go with HD video was with the Nikon D90! They're already doing better with 4K this time around than with HD before :) So I'm sure in rather quick order 4K will be even more appealing from Nikon. Just wait for the D5600/D7300
/D760/D900/D620/whatever to come along! ;)

But. why do we have to always wait for Nikon to uncripple some features in order to sell the next camera?

The FullFrame Nikon Mirrorless Camera has been anticipated almost as long as the D500.
Will it have crippled Video too or will it surpass the A7s?

I can't wait for the first post-production reviews, then this thread will get a lot more interesting when speculation turns to facts.

For instance when do you think the first non NPS cameras will be in our hands?
May, June....?
 
Last edited:
I hope the D5 and D500 has battery status indicator during videographing. I stop using my D810 for videographing because the
camera shutdown without notice when battery is low, it didn't even close the video file, so the entire 30 mins is lost.
 
the
camera shutdown without notice when battery is low, it didn't even close the video file, so the entire 30 mins is lost.

UGH!

I have had that problem too, but not now because I use a dummy battery with an external one that last over the 3 hours I sometimes record.
Another thing that helps is to external record only. That makes the internal battery last more than twice as long.
 
How big is the 30 mins 4K video file ?

30 minutes of 1080P30 recorded with ProRes 422 LT at a bit rate of 107 Mbps is 24GB
4k in camera should be less because of greater compression.
 
Last edited:
The FS700 + external recording - 4K at 10bit 4:2:2 has been available for 3+ years now.
We can even do 240fps slow motion continuously (just make sure you have a TB of SSD for that 1hr 240fps slomo)
 
4K on FS700 + O7Q+ PRORES 4:2:2 (10bit) - 4G per minute/24fps
I have seen 4K 24fps on JVC - 1G per minute/24fps

so it couldnt be less - or the video start to get blocky
 
I've been using a Nikon D810 as a B-camera to my FS700 and now to my FS7 even though I also own an A7S. I just like the image out of the D810 better even though it can be more of a pain to shoot video with. I picked up a D500 today. You can argue specs all day, but the D810 produced a really nice image. I expect the D500 will do the same with the benefit of 4k UHD video and easy timelapses in-camera.
 
Last edited:
Hi Ryan. How difficult is to match your D810 to your FS7? I ask because I shoot on D4's and a D800 and I'm just about to buy an FS5 and I'm worried about matching them in post. I realise our cameras aren't quite the same but I am hoping they are near enough for your experiences to be valid. Apologies for hijacking your thread somewhat.
Best wishes
 
No worries. I shoot mostly documentary-style stuff so a match for me may not be acceptable for someone doing narrative. I understand this. The FS7 image is extremely pliable... something that may not also be true for the FS5 considering codec limitations. I'd say if you keep the grade pretty neutral it will probably work. I haven't shot with the D500 yet, so that will be something I'm interested to know as well with this new combo.
 
Back
Top