cutting REDCODE in PP2.0

dewman

Well-known member
Sorry...for the plagiarism...but - will you be able to edit redcode in PP2.0 without converting to another codec?
 
thanks, tom and laboprod....yea i know and have read about the qt codec response...but what does that really mean to non fcp users? after reading threads such as "cutting redcode in fcp" and "redcode, cineform and platforms"...also i read mike's - hdforindies.com comparison of SI & RED...and read the response/comments...btw...great article!

it's pretty apparent that there is a biased towards fcp (qt codec)...which is cool...nothing new to me...i'm just trying to figure out what the impact (extra workflow, etc) to non fcp users will be. There's no doubt after reading all this great information fcp user will have some benefit...maybe i'm wrong, hopefully so...but i wouldn't take that bet :).

Let's look at the questions and answers again:

Question: Will you be able to edit REDCODE in FCP without converting to another codec?

Answer: Yes

Question: Will you be able to edit REDCODE in PP2.0 without converting to another codec?

Answer: If they (application) take a quicktime codec

hmm...that's not as definitive as "Yes"....ugh...:(
 
Many of us PC folks, especially those of us coming from the HVX, are very interested in the PC/Premiere workflow for Red.
 
Premiere Pro 2.0 can use QuickTime codecs, so yes. I have worked with Windows for 15 years, both platforms are treated equally support / programming wise!
 
I'm not sure exactly what this means. Will we be opening an MOV file?

Let me ask this. I hope it doesn't seem like a stupid question.

With my HVX, I am able to convert my MXF files very quickly to a Cineform Intermediate AVI, and edit them in real time inside Premiere Pro 2.0, including full-on, realtime CCing with multiple dissolves, etc. I believe what makes this possible is the wavelet codec of Cineform and a Cineform "engine" which works inside of Premiere. Someone please correct me if I have that part wrong.

Can we expect similar results from a Red workflow on Premiere? Granted that the amount of data is much higher, especially at 4K, but with a suitably more powerful multi-core PC next year, can we expect to edit Red footage and CC in realtime?
 
As has been stated before we are still optimizing and testing the post path. We are not avoiding the issues or questions we just want to make sure we have exact numbers, specs and details for you.

There will be multiple ways to get your footage into an NLE with varying degrees of speed and conversion options.

All I/we can say for now is that you will be able to work with your footage. Obviously we're doing our very best to make it as fast and painless as possible.

That's all I can say for now. As soon as we have the numbers you'll have them as well. Give us a bit more time!

Thanks,
 
Thanks, Rob for the direct answer...much appreciated!! I had hope that both platforms would be treated equally - way to go RED!!

Also, thanks Graeme for chiming in.

Tom - i think your correct about Cineform...I did read somewhere...where David indicated that have there own engine, which allows for the real time effects...actually I think I read here at DVXuser...

Again...thanks RED Team for engaging the customer and setting new benchmarks...truely good stuff!!
 
dewman said:
Question: Will you be able to edit REDCODE in FCP without converting to another codec?

Answer: Yes

But the thing is, if you shoot RAW (REDCODE or uncompressed) you won't be able to edit the RAW footage in FCP, neither in PPro... I think at the moment only Cineform is making a solution to work with their CineForm RAW from the SI-2k camera...
Therefore you will use REDCINE to process the images in RGB and export them in any format supported by the NLE you use.
 
lately I have tried to import 16 bit Tiff in PP2 and it simply won't import it. Then I have imported a 16 bit psd files but when looking to the file property, it shows as a 8 bit image...
 
sick, what about CineForm. I have Prospect HD system and it sure would be nice to have a RAW cineform version that we can cut via Premiere Pro and Prospect HD. Hope you can EXPORT from the RED program into the RAW format cineform supports, not just the 2k format that is RGB...news on this support?
 
We fully support both RAW and (unprocessed) RGB recording modes in post.

I'm sorry I have to be so vague, rest assured, you can work with your footage in Premiere or any other NLE.

You don't know about all the magic yet ;)

edit: or what Graeme said :D
 
QuickTime is not any one codec

QuickTime is not any one codec

It may help to explain to non Mac folks that QuickTime is not tied to any one codec, but is really just a media holder with timing and transcoding features.

I know it goes in way deeper, but third party developers also write software to allow QT to work with codecs that Apple does not directly support in QT.

Looking at Flip4Mac may help: http://www.flip4mac.com/

Think of a tool called Flip4RED or RED4PC or REDCINE.

Hope this clarifies and not clouds...
 
Graeme_Nattress said:
REDCODE RAW will play back RAW video in any Quicktime app.

LOL, Graeme...wish i was sippin a beer with ya...ok..ok...got ya on the qt app...u mean i won't be able to play via window media app?...haha...just kidding...

u guys gotta it covered, no worries...can't wait to see the solution everyone is working so hard on!....also don't forget SI is 2k not 4k :)!

i've put my money on Jim (headblade brother, maybe?) & the red team!
 
thanks, roxco for the link....yea i kinda of figured this much...old school/non programmer people like my self describe this a "wrapper" (i.e. enclose the information in a known readiable form)...:)! also understand that REDCINE is the app and REDCODE is the codec..
 
Thanks Graeme for your precision..., i am very impressed.....

At least I am thinking it is going to be quite a torture to wait for this camera to be shiped :-))
 
Back
Top