what's the big deal about running a mac operating system on a pc? as far as i'm concerned it's the same as running windows, linux, or any other operating system. am i missing something here?
hahaha!!! just smash a year-old rotten apple on the side of the case and there you go!
splash!!!! >blessed<
Kholi, please update about you memory timings and frequency here cause those are weak for the HZ's, I know you upped it a bit already and I don't want anyone thinking HZ's are a bad buy cause everyone deserves a pair (or two )
Got my card in the case today... new capacitors and OpAmps!
I also finally fit the 7600GT... not a happy neighbor of the sound card though.. that 16V capacitor is sandwiched between em' like 16 lbs. of salami between two little slices of bread
Yes! glat to hear that you are ahead of my curve on the preview!
I am still trying to figure out if the Q6600 would help or not in the 32-bit world (dinosaur times for you now ) or is I will have to wait for Vegas 8.0... still considering trying out Vegas 7 in XP 64-bit... just had so many problems with it when I tried it... not a lot of support... it is either XP 32 or Vista for Win-crap-dows...
Dude, very happy to hear you are getting a few fans... keep in mind the bigger the fan the quieter, also Yate Loons can be had for $3 and they are top-three quietest 120mm fans that push over 40CMF... super quiet, lots of air...
I bet you'll be able to go up to 3.2 once you add some major air-through put for your case...
Congrats! But let's not let this thread die! I want to hear from Dilliont and about how your stuff progresses! Truth is you are never done upgrading...
I will edit a 1080/24PA 15 min short that we start shotting Friday out in Bakersfield, north of LA, then we come back to the Valley for the rest... sure wish I had buter-smooth playback!!!
I'm having a hard time committing myself to buying the PC parts and then finding out I won't be able to install the software I really intend to use it for. HINT HINT. NUDGE NUDGE. Kholi makes it sound like its a pain in the butt to get acquire the real goods?
Although, I need a new PC anyway. My PIV 2gz and dual 850mhz machines are ancient. I've been using the same dual 850mhz motherboard for over 8 years. I'm typing this message on it. I rarely turn the PIV on anymore. It sounds like a jet and editing on a VTNT sucks these days.
I'll be combining both these computers into the new computer I bu(ild)y.
Sometimes I'm tempted to buy a Mac. But I can't stand the thought of not being able to build my own!
Say, Kholi - did you order a FCS 2 upgrade or full package? Curious to see how that functions for you FCS is the only reason I'm going mac.
I didn't even know it was ready yet until yesterday when Cynic told me. I'm ordering today!!! Won't get it til like next week I guess, but will report on how it works.
I'm sure it'll work fine since Final Cut Studio works perfect0.
If I hadn't invested in real estate 2 months ago, I woulda pulled the trigger and ran with this pc project already. But I'm having to spend a lil money to turn a couple of the units around to get them rented, and don't feel comfortable taking a risk buying hardware that I"m not sure I am guaranteed to supply the software for it.
However, I do have a copy of CS3 Production Premium here - BETA. Got it from a VIP workshop session at Adobe headquarters. Flash/After Effects CS3 are incredible.
Ugh, if I had my hands on the software installation for the OS I really want right now - I'd buy the parts without a 2nd thought. I never thought I could go crazy waiting for things to line up. Ugofan - If I pull the trigger in the next couple weeks, I will most likely get the E6600 and then upgrade to the Q6600 when it drops in price (when the natives come out?). 250 for the E6600 and 250 for the Q6600 but sell the E6600 for 100 which makes the true cost $400 for the Q6600 and I didn't have to wait to start on the project.
Well, it appears I'm gonna have to do this - I don't have a choice!
I just asked around about the upgrade path for a mac pro quad (2x2core) - THERE IS NONE! When I'm ready to go octocore, I'll have to buy a new machine. This to me is unacceptable.
So now I'm ITCHING AT THE TRIGGER to pull on this:
Upgrade to Q6600 when the price drops down to $250. I'm not looking to begin overclocking immediately, but I am curious to tinker with overclocking. Can I get up to 3ghz on the heat sink/fan combo I have listed here?
What y'all think? I'm gonna start posting over at the other site now. username is tdillon.
The E6600 is a solid choice! HZ ram, DS3, 7200.10 seagate also solid choices.
I don't know about the PSU, but if you try to OC right away you can at least tell Newegg that the PSU is screwed up and you'll be able to return it for a full refund, they'll pay for shipping and you can upgrade at that point... Don't skimp there though cause PSUs will work for ever and are intrinsical to OC'ing hight and being stable.
The Zalaman 92mm will handle a nice OC yes, but I'd consider going up to the 110mm or the Tuniq Tower 120mm because these will last you as long as the 775 socket stays around, and it is projected to be until we use 80-core CPUs the temp difference would be a good 5-15 celsius less which means you'll need a tad less voltage making your OC more stable and possibly a tad higher... $ difference... about $20 if I remember correctly
Lastly: Why ATI? NVIDIA's 8800GTS 320MB kills it for very little more $$ and has open GL... don't listen to Kholi there... he is just an ATI fan-boy, rofl