Cool Shotgun I picked up!

BillWojo

Active member
Guy on Craigs list was selling some old mics and I picked up an old Electro Voice mic. It's marked as a Cardiline Model 642. Has 2 adjusting screws on it marked IMP (50,150,250) and Bass (F, 1, 2). Built like a tank and very heavy. Looks like something from an old sci-fi movie. Anybody know anything about these? Has a connector on the end that looks like a XLR but is slightly different. Came in a neat steel case. Would love to see if this works.
Thanks
Bill Wojo

On Edit: Found some specs on it. Overall length = 17-7/8 inches, max diameter = 3-3/16 inches and it weighs 3lbs 4 ozs
 
Last edited:
Not even sure why I googled it, but anyway here it is and OH MY GOD does it ever look like something from a sci-fi flick

$(KGrHqEOKpwFG)H(6E3UBR1,Gvho4Q~~60_35.JPG
 
There's a few on EBay.

This legendary Electrovoice Cardiline 642 was the first shotgun ever produced and won an Academy Award in 1963 for revolutionizing motion picture sound.
It was the first ever awarded for an audio product.

That's 50 years ago, I was a kid and the first pro mic I ever used was an Electrovoice 666, it's bombproof and in those days, so was I :)

Cheers.
 
Bill,

That's not a shotgun microphone. That is a death-ray gun left here by aliens. Be careful.

That is really cool. I like old stuff like that.
 
^ Exactly and if it wasn't so damn expensive I would seriously buy one right now so I could use it as a prop to go along with my massive alien head and hands costume I purchased off a fellow DVX'er.

If anyone has or sees a broken one for sale, please let me know. Heck you can broker the deal even and make a whopping $5 commission off the sale ;)
 
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...tzGkCKVtPMaCPYg&bvm=bv.57155469,d.aWc&cad=rja

Above is a link to the specs. Anybody know if I can hook this up to a XLR connector and just apply phantom power from my Tascam DR100 to check it out? Gotta find one of those shock mounts, this would look really cool on display. I doubt that it works as well as a modern shotgun but it would be neat to test it.
Thank you
Bill Wojo

On Edit: At the bottom of the link is a fuzzy photo of a model 643 shotgun. Total length is 7 feet!
 
Last edited:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CEkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.electrovoice.com%2Fdownloadfile.php%3Fi%3D970585&ei=uQ2WUoDXDOG8yAH7jIGYCw&usg=AFQjCNFzSvE2uet65MItzGkCKVtPMaCPYg&bvm=bv.57155469,d.aWc&cad=rja

Above is a link to the specs. Anybody know if I can hook this up to a XLR connector and just apply phantom power from my Tascam DR100 to check it out? Gotta find one of those shock mounts, this would look really cool on display. I doubt that it works as well as a modern shotgun but it would be neat to test it.
Thank you
Bill Wojo

On Edit: At the bottom of the link is a fuzzy photo of a model 643 shotgun. Total length is 7 feet!

If you read the specs you would know it's a dynamic mic.. so what does that say about the need for phantom power?
 
Just starting to learn audio. But I think that what your saying is that I don't need power. Have to find a connector and hook this thing up. I read everything I can but somehow glossed over that. Thanks
 
Starcentral, your a sick pup. LOL I answered an add this guy posted about divesting some of his mic collection to pick up a small lapel mic for testing. I have a recent post on here about recording audio in my car. Figured I would pick up a small dynamic mic and try it. I wound up buying a Sony PC-62 stereo mic, a Sennheiser ME80 and this monster for 120.00. Actually I was leaving and offered him 25.00 for it and he countered with 40.00 so, well, just had to have it. I collect way to much stuff.
So if I want to try this out, how do I hook this up to an XLR input? There is 3 pins, one is ground, does it matter about the other 2? Is there a polarity issue?
Has anyone ever used one of these? I wonder how it compares to todays shotguns. And did you see the fuzzy pic of that 7 foot beast? What would that be used for?
Now I have to find a shock mount so I can put this on display.
Take care
Bill Wojo
 
Last edited:
If it has a 3-pin connector that looks "almost XLR, but isn't " (too small), it is either a 3-pin DIN jack or perhaps a type of Tuchel connector. You can have the connector replaced, or if you want to maintain original condition, you can get an original connector with cable or some kind of adaptor; I'd try Hinton Instruments ( www.hinton-instruments.com ).

GJ
 
The connector that is needed is a Canon UA-3-11, used on several of there older mics. I've been searching the web and they are quite rare. An old cord or spare connector is going to cost me as much as the mic did. Anybody have one not in use? I don't want to modify this thing, it's in very nice condition.
I looked at the big brother of this mic, the model 643, WOW! Simply amazing.
Bill Wojo
 
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...tzGkCKVtPMaCPYg&bvm=bv.57155469,d.aWc&cad=rja

Above is a link to the specs. Anybody know if I can hook this up to a XLR connector and just apply phantom power from my Tascam DR100 to check it out?
According to the spec sheet, the 642 is a dynamic mic. (which shouln't need power) Phantom Power should be OFF.
Try this wiring to an XLR.
Green: Pin 1 (Shield/Ground
Red: Pin 2 (Positive)
Black: Pin 3 (Negative)

Verifiy Phantom Power is OFF.
 
Last edited:
Thanks Rick. I dug through a bunch of electrical junk today looking for pin sockets to do a temp hookup but couldn't find anything to fit. They want a lot for the correct connector and I'm not spending any more on it till I verify that it works. I'll come up with something to test it. Spent the afternoon working on a shock mount. Did you ever use one of these? I'm wondering if it would be good for motorsports, getting sound that is fairly distant. Do you think it would be better than my AT835b? I know it looks way cooler. LOL Thanks for the help.
Bill Wojo
 
Never used one Bill. Cool looking for sure.
It would definitely need some kind of wind protection and heavy for a handheld boom.
I've used an AT835 which was decent sounding as I recall and owned an also decent sounding AT815a (long SG). Which I sold about five years ago.. I have a AT4071 now-a-days but it rarely gets used.
 
Back
Top