j1clark@ucsd.edu
Veteran
I hear it tasted even better back when it had actual cocaine in it.![]()
Was that 'taste better', or 'get actual work done'... maybe there is an object lesson here after all...
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I hear it tasted even better back when it had actual cocaine in it.![]()
A carpenter doesn't pound nails with a rubber mallet or a toy hammer.
What are you trying to say?
The problem here is that most FCPX supporters don't understand how the broadcast/ film industry works. ..... These features are not people venting or not wanting to embrace change, but 100% "features"that make the software unnaceptable to use in the broadcast market. .
The problem here is that most FCPX supporters don't understand how the broadcast/ film industry works. There are many standards. Waveforms and vectorscopes exist for a reason. Audio mastering is an art in itself. You can be a "one man band", but when you are going into the broadcast and film world, specialy when we talk fiction and documentary, you really need specialized people for grading, sound mixing, special fx's. As an editor, you can obviously try to do all this yourself, but filmmaking and editing are co-operative arts. When I do a TV Commercial, I tend to do a rough CC to give a "feel" of what I want the piece to work. and then send the xml or edl to a colorist. The sound needs to be professionally mixed and punched up for broadcast- there is a "noise war" in broadcast and audio compression and mixing for broadcast is an art for itself. In film, I'm not seeing myself doing as an editor 7.1 or 5.1 surround on my editor. This should be done by a professional sound mixer and engineer in his specific audio software.
FCPX is closed on itself, doesn't talk with other professional video and audio apps. Its Color Correction tool, while giving more options in a certain way (masks are a big plus) is not precise and currently there's no way to get accurate color grading for broadcast. These features are not people venting or not wanting to embrace change, but 100% "features"that make the software unnaceptable to use in the broadcast market. .
No one said (even Apple) that FCPX is ready for prime time... it will be in the future.
Until then, keep using your old NLE ...
I've given this a lot of thought, and I see FCPX as much more of a wild curveball than anything even resembling a conspiracy theory.
The amount of work put into creating the new program pretty much negates the idea that they're just coming out with a New Coke verison of FCP. Apple claims FCPX is entirely new code from the ground up. Most companies don't invest that kind of time and effort into a project just to turn around and release Final Cut Classic. There may be an iPod Classic, but I wouldn't wait around its Final Cut cousin to appear on the market.
On one hand it feels like Apple is getting out of the pro market completely, but if that were so, why would they re-write FCPX from the ground up? It seems to be a fairly CPU hungry program. Don't expect to be running it on an iPad in the next 24 to 36 months, or ever. This is a brand new program for someone who owns a powerful Mac. In one stroke it's clearly stated that Apple is still in the business of making both powerful computers and resource consumptive programs for creative people. Perhaps the sky isn't falling.
According to this... http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/faq/
Multicam will come in the next upgrade ... many other PRO features will come also, fromApple or third party software.
I have read speed changes are now limited to 25% or 50% ....it's things like that which destroy it's credentials.
There are enough complaints from the small business editors. Broadcast took a long time to start adopting FCP in the first place. Hell, most places I know of still use AVID and many were switching to Edius due to cheaper licensing and the fact that Grass Valley makes a lot of broadcast hardware. FCP (at least up here) and PPro have been mostly used by small production/film companies and small broadcast; like realty TV etc. News has definitely been AVID based. AVID and Edius listen to broadcasters and in AVIDS case Film editors. In fact one of Edius's minor complaints is they listen to whaty broadcasters want to much (ie minor feature requests from broadcasters that throw us all off for a bit after a new release).
Toxotis, that doesn't answer my questions. I'm well aware of the faq. The questions are asked with the faq in mind. I can see you chose to address Denwa's post which was a bit uninformed and chose to ignore mine. Interesting.