Conspiracy Theory

Denwa, nothing against you personally, but some of the concerns you listed were answered in the FAQ Apple released. That Faq, while answering some questions, raised lots more and was not reassuring of Apple's commitment to the Pro market at all. It was overly defensive but at the same time condescending, didn't provide a roadmap of when or who would implement most of the features they say they will, didn't respond clearly to some questions, and even said yes to sub par implementations of features by third parties. One in particular came to mind: "yes, you can export OMF's through Automatic duck". What they fail to say is that automatic duck costs 500 USD and that currently OMF export is not precise. If you want to see the result of an OMF export through Automatic Duck, check out the FCPX forum at Creativecow.

I wanted to address Toxotis, who seems to defend FCPX with additional information we don't have by his unshaken faith towards "the future", and raised questions based on the Faq and the lack of information and " twisted " PR wording it has. That faq, as far as I know, is the only official info on FCPX's future that exists. So either Toxotis has additional information and inside info to back his assumptions, or he's guessing like everyone else. Your post gave him an "entry" to ignore my questions and to show, again, his postion with the faq, avoiding to address my questions. Like I said, nothing against you, Denwa, at all.
 
Last edited:
Denwa, nothing against you personally, but some of the concerns you listed were answered in the FAQ Apple released. That Faq, while answering some questions, raised lots more and was not reassuring of Apple's commitment to the Pro market at all. It was overly defensive but at the same time condescending, didn't provide a roadmap of when or who would implement most of the features they say they will, didn't respond clearly to some questions, and even said yes to sub par implementations of features by third parties. One in particular came to mind: "yes, you can export OMF's through Automatic duck". What they fail to say is that automatic duck costs 500 USD and that currently OMF export is not precise. If you want to see the result of an OMF export through Automatic Duck, check out the FCPX forum at Creativecow.

I wanted to address Toxotis, who seems to defend FCPX with additional information we don't have by his unshaken faith towards "the future", and raised questions based on the Faq and the lack of information and " twisted " PR wording it has. That faq, as far as I know, is the only official info on FCPX's future that exists. So either Toxotis has additional information and inside info to back his assumptions, or he's guessing like everyone else. Your post gave him an "entry" to ignore my questions and to show, again, his postion with the faq, avoiding to address my questions. Like I said, nothing against you, Denwa, at all.

I think you have my posts mixed up with someone else. I said was that there is no road map. The FAQ is not a road map. I've read it.

I said that there was no support for FCP7, which is correct. You can not longer purchase it either, also correct. I made no statements regarding multicam etc.

I also made a metaphor regarding tools about a a rubber mallet is not a hammer for pounding nails. So I am confused as to why you think I was giving anyone "entry" to ignore your questions. I don't recall toxotis replying to my posts either.

So while I do not take your comment, personally I am still left wondering what the heck you are talking about. :)

Below are my posts up to your comment regarding my being "uninformed".

In other words... Apples business model is like a corporate version of a Ponzi scheme.

A carpenter doesn't pound nails with a rubber mallet or a toy hammer.

Add the fact that they killed support for FCP7... Hard to play the waiting game. I don't even edit on fcp being a PC person but I have a partner that does. He's not impressed. He just did the switchover to mac and FCP last year.


No support means:
Can not purchase another copy for new machines.
When the new 64 bit OS is released will FCP7 even work?

No road map to the future means companies that budget purchases a year in advance will wonder if the product is to risky to even budget for.


Apples only road map for FCPX has been that it will be "Awesome". Yeah, that says a lot.

There are enough complaints from the small business editors. Broadcast took a long time to start adopting FCP in the first place. Hell, most places I know of still use AVID and many were switching to Edius due to cheaper licensing and the fact that Grass Valley makes a lot of broadcast hardware. FCP (at least up here) and PPro have been mostly used by small production/film companies and small broadcast; like realty TV etc. News has definitely been AVID based. AVID and Edius listen to broadcasters and in AVIDS case Film editors. In fact one of Edius's minor complaints is they listen to what broadcasters want to much (ie minor feature requests from broadcasters that throw us all off for a bit after a new release).
 
After so many years posting here I still can't understand well how to quote specific things of replies :)

I agree with most you say, however Apple did address the volume license issue with "coming soon" to App store, and that FCP7 will work with Lion. Those were the topics Toxotis found as an "entry" to slap you with the Apple Faq, avoiding to discuss the other points of yours- and mine- posts . Hope this clears it :)
 
After so many years posting here I still can't understand well how to quote specific things of replies :)

I agree with most you say, however Apple did address the volume license issue with "coming soon" to App store, and that FCP7 will work with Lion. Those were the topics Toxotis found as an "entry" to slap you with the Apple Faq, avoiding to discuss the other points of yours- and mine- posts . Hope this clears it :)

To me there is a significant problem with the FCP <old versions> to FCP X... that is importing of the projects directly. For many people, myself included, I have a number of 'old projects', that I would have liked to have upgraded to the New and Wonderful World of FCP X (for me it would just be to export as XML from my Final Cut Express (FCE uses the FCP file format...)).

But I can see many working pros and serious amateurs who are now 'locked' into the old, because they have current or old projects.

To me it wouldn't have taken a 'rocket scientist' to write a utility to dumpe FCP projects as XML, standing outside of FCP 7 (or whatever...), and an XML import for FCP X.... wait... FCP <old version> has an XML export function... what am I talking about... the only thing that was needed was a stinking XML import function on the brand new shinny FCP X...

In fact XML processing is part of iMovie... and there was a method to export iMovie projects as XML to the import into FCP <old versions>.

So, again, what does this say about the thinking process that went on deep inside the Apple Universe... it is clear... nothing about transfering old projects into or out of FCP X.

Nothing...

Why should anyone be impressed with the lack of forethought exhibited by Apple on this issue.
 
Last edited:
After so many years posting here I still can't understand well how to quote specific things of replies :)

I agree with most you say, however Apple did address the volume license issue with "coming soon" to App store, and that FCP7 will work with Lion. Those were the topics Toxotis found as an "entry" to slap you with the Apple Faq, avoiding to discuss the other points of yours- and mine- posts . Hope this clears it :)

Aside from the fact I never mentioned volume licencing, I missed the FCP7 will work on Lion part of the FAQ. Probably cause it is mentioned under "Import". My partner will be glad to hear that, though he is looking at using one or more of Edius/AVID/PPro for the future. I suspect he will switch to PPro as he is already getting familer with AE and will likely find it similar enough to FCP.

I have to wonder for how long FCP7 would run on lion. 64bot os's casue issues with a lot of 32 bit software and all they are promising atmm is that it will run under the first release of lion. Since they have stopped support of FCP7, that technically means there will be no updates for FCP7 as the OS changes over time. Only way to find out for sure is to wait it out.


To quote specific sections of a reply you have to edit out parts within the Quote tags. Like this:

After so many years posting here I still can't understand well how to quote specific things of replies :)
 
Last edited:
You want a 'beta product' with 'features to be added later'... here Lightworks Beta (to be an Open Source project...). There it is. It's free, and currently only runs on Windows... but they've announced Mac and Linux... soon... but did I mention... it's free...

It's cool that someone else is telling people about Lightworks. I hear it's slowly making it's way around the various forums. Celtx has totally killed my need for Final Draft. As much as I loved it, I haven't even thought about FD after using it for a few scripts.

I'll say this. When I get my new iMac or MacPro I will be running FCPX. I looked at it and there's a lot of stuff that would just make life a lot easier for me, then again, I'm an indy filmmaker and not in Broadcast professionally. There's an army of people like me out there and that's who Final Cut Pro X is aimed at. I used FCP, but it's was pricey. I never used iMovie for anything. (iDVD was awesome though). The new set up will take some time to learn but my Epitaph project will stay in FCP until it's done. I see no reason to move it over to X. When I shoot and edit my next film, "Divinity", I do plan to do so in FCPX. I love the idea behind it and since I don't do multicam really, that's not an issue. And by this time next year, FCPX will be pretty much accepted.

It's always funny to watch these conversations. Remember when we had these conversations of AVCHD? And many other things and eventually they become standards or if nothing else useable in professional situations. Some friends of mine are doing a doc and using the RED. Their Video is being done this way now days and soon I believe everyone else will follow. Apple is the leader and file based editing is the way to go and the enhancements Apple has made, if they work as stated, will suit me fine.

-Nate
 
Back
Top