Commercial music video standards?

pete66

Member
Hi, I'm intererested in getting an XL2 or possibly a DVX for making music videos and short films.

Can anybody tell me what type of cameras the likes of The Corrs, The Offspring, Coldplay and other such big names use in the making of their music videos?

How often do we see the likes of a DVX on MTV?

Thanks
Pete
 
Re: Commercial music video standards?

I know that a lot of the bigger names shot on 35mm or 16mm but youll be suprised on how many actually will use the DVX. I know some rap, r&b, and punk bands have used the dvx in their production, Most recently that comes to mind is the Beastie Boys. As long as you stick to high quality techniques and good lighting with all of the storyboarding figured out before the shoot, good actors and good location you will be able to create something that most people wont be able to tell that it was shot on video. Good Luck! I have wanted to create a music video mysellf, but I haven't found a local band that I like enough to dedicate some time.
 
Re: Commercial music video standards?

most videos from the bands you mentioned are shot on 35mm just like a movie. those videos cost tens of thousands of dollars just in production. basically each music video is nothing but an ad. considering that a :30 second ad for a chocolatbar can cost up to 1 million dollars you know what a 3 minute video costs with the same production unit.

i work on set sometimes for a big ad-production here and once there were 7 people from the agency here. SEVEN!! art director, asst. art director, asst. this and asst. that. overall the crew was around 45 people. for 10 seconds out of a 30 second spot. the rest was shot in studio anyway.......jeezzzz...with the catering budget alone i can make a whole movie.....

but as said here: if used correctly and if the story/screenplay is right you can capture with anything and get good results or results thatr people like.
 
Re: Commercial music video standards?

Thanks for the replies!

Out of interest, which videos by the Beastie Boys were filmed on DVX? I really like the beasties and their videos.

I do intend to fully storyboard any videos I do and even churn out some animatics from the storyboards with Adobe After Effects.

Budgets aside, I don't suppose there's any logical answer to which is better for music video production out of the DVX and XL2?

Cheers
 
Re: Commercial music video standards?

there was a beasty boys video not too long ago that used alot of dvxs to do "bullet time" like effects. in all honesty, most of the music videos i have seen done by bigger names that were shot on video look crappy. i think they use the medium for what it is, and arent trying to sex it up at all...they have the money for the most part to shoot in 35...but if they choose to use a video cam, its for effect...sometimes for cost. if i had to guess they used dvxs becuase they know that they wanted these bullet time effects and couldnt afford to do it with film.

anyway, most big vids are done on 35 sometimes HD. and for the most part their budgets are much much less then commercials. commercial work is the big bucks....music videos are generaly pretty cheaply made...rarely nowadays getting over a million dollars. there are probably only a handfull of million dollar vids made a year now...most i bet are 20-200thousand.

both the dvx and xl2 will work just fine for music vids. there are plenty of examples to support that the dvx definitly can, and im sure some will come from the xl2.
 
Re: Commercial music video standards?

I think you can shoot professional music videos with the right people fora crew from a good dop,dire,photographer etc... budget depends on you good locations. With the dvx you'll need the anamorphic plust mini 35 adapter and I think you'll come close of course shot 24p
 
Re: Commercial music video standards?

This is a DVX forum, so naturally we're going to be keen on how great the DVX is. The XL2 is good also. What is more important is who is behind the camera, what their vision is, how well they can follow through on it, oh, and of course the talent.

The DVX and the XL2 are both fine for doing music videos. Check the Clips section for many excellent examples.
 
Re: Commercial music video standards?

Would it be good to use 16:9 for shooting music videos? Basically what I'm asking is, what would it look like when it finally got aired on a 4:3 TV as opposed to a widescreen?

cheers
Pete
 
Back
Top