Checking the Gate

I think I would want the flash option. I think solid state is better then moving parts for the most part, will the flash be in RAID for backup?
 
obin said:
I think I would want the flash option. I think solid state is better then moving parts for the most part, will the flash be in RAID for backup?
Now, THERE's a thought... Red-Flash RAID: Select mirroring for extra security, or speed for higher frame rates.

I'm all for Flash over HDD. Too many things can go wrong with moving parts. Panasonic got it right with P2, but the capacities are still too small. *hint, hint*
 
I think a flash RAID for redundancy reasons would be overkill... I've never lost data due to a flash "crash" (?) like I have with countless hard drives. Once you've offloaded the data, you can copy it to wherever you like.

That being said, a RAID setup for performance increase (especially in the area of greater fps) would be nothing short of killer (it would also double the amount of flash storage that could be used in one unit). From my understanding, however, the fps limitation is set by the hardware and the encoding ceilings right now, not the data throughput (at least in REDCODE mode), so having a faster transport may not help. The again, Jim did allude to the new, faster mini-RAID drive as allowing for the potential of other performance increases (and he did list higher fps as one of those potentials), so one never knows. All we do know is that they will continue to be tweaking and squeezing the best performance possible from the camera until it ships! :)
 
They've said repeatedly that it comes with "32 or 64 gigs of 'onboard' flash." Originally, I took that to mean internal flash memory, but when I spoke with Ted at the L.A. screening he said that the module that can be swapped with the optical port is the "onbard" flash. So I would say that it's safe to assume that, yes, the flash module will ship with the camera.

Whether or not this is also the same thing as the "REDFLASH" option that has been mentioned is unclear... it would be nice to have an external FLASH magazine like the mini-RAID to use with the camera as well (that way you could buy as much flash memory to use with the camera as possible). I would guess that this will be an option - if not the day the camera ships then sometime soon thereafter - because I think there are a lot of people interested in shooting on solid state memory.

What hasn't been indicated is if the optical port module will ship with the camera or not, but I have a feeling that this is of less concern to DVXUsers (for now, anyway).
 
Back
Top