Check out my Airstream Travel Blog shot with HV20

Sean Michael

Well-known member
My wife and I are presently traveling around the States in an Airstream, and keeping a blog. I'm shooting 90% with the HV20 (10% with a Sony HC3). We're shooting 60i for ease of editing.

Of course, YouTube makes all look like crap...but I thought someone might find it of interest. ;)

www.thelonglonghoneymoon.com
 
Dude!

I'm hoping to get my '57 Airstream Flying Cloud back from ongoing upgrades and restorations before summer's end ... definitely subscribing to your blog IMMEDIATELY! :thumbsup:
 
Hello,

Looks like fun. I always used to do a lot of traveling with my parents. Then I grew up and had to get a job.

Nice looking footage and the sound was pretty good as well. Did you just use the onboard mic or did you have another mic mounted on the camera?

Thanks.
 
Erik, I'd love to hear more about your Flying Cloud when the time is ready. You might consider documenting the restoration process. Kristy and I thought about buying a vintage unit but ended up buying something newer just because we are impatient. I am totally getting into the Airstream lifestyle....we are having a blast with it.

Ando, I'm using an Audio-Technics AT897 mounted on my HV20, with an AT8341 XLR adapter cable. It's almost always mounted on camera...since it's just Kristy and me on this trip. I've been shooting at random, then editing on my foldout table in the Airstream. It's a blog, so it's pretty raw...but I'm glad I brought the HV20 along. Yellowstone in HD is a beautiful sight. :thumbsup:
 
Hey Sean,

Every time I stop by http://www.timelesstraveltrailers.com/ to stoke the fire with $$$ I have my GL-2 in tow. To those guys, it's "just another Airstream" -- they don't really get excited unless someone brings them a real "rarebird" like a Spartan or some one-off from the 1920s! We'd probably still be years away from a camp-ready, road-worthy coach if I had to figure it all out and do it myself!

A previous owner added photos of it in its "before" state to the Vintage Airstream Registry Archive: http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives1/57FC/1957FlyingCloud_8111/index.html

I can't wait to add a few "after" pictures when we finally git 'er dun!
 
Erik, wow! My wife and I just finished pouring over the Timeless website. It looks like your Flying Cloud is in good hands. It also appears your trailer was in decent shape to begin with...I really look forward to seeing pics of your Airstream after those guys are done with it.

As I mentioned, we seriously considered going the vintage route. I think it's a very smart way to go. Once the restoration is complete, you will have a unique and truly "timeless" unit that's customized to your tastes.

Our Airstream is an '03 Classic. We're very happy with it overall, but the interior could use a little more personality. After seeing what these guys can do, we might bring ours to Colorado for a few "upgrades." :2vrolijk_08:
 
Hey Sean,

We probably should continue this conversation at your blog or on an Airstream-related website, but I will say for now that I'm having the lads at TTT do the stuff that intimidates me (new axle, new furnace, new tanks, new electrical, etc.). I have some ideas for interior upgrades but we want to "road test" the coach for awhile before we make too many changes. So for the time being it still won't be pretty, but at least we can use it without fear of causing a freeway pile-up, toxic-waste spill or campground fire.

On a (slightly) more on-topic note: I presume you're editing on a laptop? What app? At the moment I'm thinking about using ours with one of the OTA USB HDTV receivers for RV AV entertainment:

http://www.google.com/products?q=USB+HDTV&hl=en&um=1&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct=title
 
What did you use to get the night shot of the moose?

Thanks for the tip on the AT8341...I've been looking for an adapter for my 897.
 
Erik, my workflow (and I use the term loosely) is as follows: shoot in 60i on HV20, edit (or should I say "slap it together"?) in 60i timeline in Premiere Pro 1.51, render to WMV 1080i HDTV file. Then I use Ashampoo Shrink & Burn to compress the resulting WMV file, rendering a 2nd WMV. Then that file is uploaded to YouTube, ensuring that any remaining visual quality is extracted. ;)

I must admit that I enjoy the "blog" format and the freedom it brings... Everything isn't expected to be perfect because it CAN'T be perfect. It's a blog.

dat, I used the HC3 on the moose shot. The HC3 has Sony's "Nightshot" feature. I'm basically using the HC3 as a B-camera...just something to pull out of the bag when the HV20's batteries die. That said, nightshot is pretty cool when it works -- as in the moose shot. Overall the HV20 is a MUCH better cam than the HC3...but it's nice to have the Sony as a backup.
 
Thanks Jason... it has been a really fun creative outlet. Keeps the folks back home happy, too. :D

At first I wasn't going to shoot much video, but now I find myself wanting to incorporate a lot of video. It's a bit of a challenge editing/uploading on the fly. I don't have satellite Internet or anything fancy...just wifi on my Core 2 Duo laptop.
 
Back
Top