CCD ala Fuji S3 for the RED Camera!

rubiocesar83

Active member
I think the Red Camera would be an almost perfect camera if it
would offer a CCD (or CMOS) Sensor like the one of the Fuji S3
(digital still camera).
Tha Dynamic Range it's almost like true film.
I think Fuji has Patented the sensor...It would be interesting if
Jannard could cut a deal with them for the second version of the
Red Camera.
Cesar Rubio.
 
Last edited:
Those the ones with the hex shaped pixels, some small, some large? They do give better dynamic range than a normal CMOS, but they sacrifice resolution to do so. I think there are other CMOS developments that would go way beyond this basic approach to dynamic range enhancement, and they don't loose you resolution, or increase the amount of post processing needed. Isn't the Fuji very slow to process these images? I'm sure I remember reading up about them on DP review.

Graeme
 
Graeme:
When processing RAW the fuji takes 8 sec to storage 1 frame of 25MB to a Fuji XD card...
and it takes 13 secs for a Sandisk Extreme III !....I agree with you It's a long time....
They came up with the short term solution of increasing the buffer size....
but in my opinion that's not enough...
I think they should approach something like Nikon's Compress Nef like the one they use
for the D70s. to make the file smaller with not visual loss of cuality.
Hopefully for the S4 they will work this matter out.
Cesar.
 
Last edited:
Speaking of resolution the S3 it is in par of a 7MP camera according
to the test conducted by Popular Photography.....
​
In my own test comparing the S3 vs the D70 I found slightly better
resolution in the S3...
I know it's not a 12MP resolution....But who needs more than 6MP...
I can make perfect 20x30" prints with a D70....
and for a Video Camera I think it's good enough (for now)

But in the dynamic range...there's not comparison...
I had a hard time overexposing the highlights in the S3 even at +3 stops..
wheter the D70 it blows out with as litle as +1/2 stop.
And if you expose at the perfect f-stop you still get better shadow
and highlight detail in the S3.

If they just could conbine this technology with the one of Sigma SD-10
(Foveon Sensor) or the same as current 3 CCD sensors....

Perhaps it's to much to ask in this divisive world.....
Cesar.
 
Last edited:
yes the octo pixels we actually were just talking about today at HDbootcamp. The 6mp fuji that "interpolated" to 12mp actually did such a good job the true resolution was determined to be 8mp. Not bad for a little magic.

I love that S3.
 
Yes, Nice camera. People actually thinking for a change. Nice to see indeed. I think their technique could cause issues with moving video though. Moving video is always more tricky than stills. It's not just a sequence of stills you can view in isolation. Movement lets the eye see different artifacts.

Graeme
 
I totally agree with the Fuji Digital SLR's having a great sensor....

Whilst i'm not a fan of the 1.6x crop factor, the messy menu & button layout & feel of the body on the S3, i'd have to admit it by far produces the best looking images out of all the digital SLR's out there....

Whilst my Canon 5D produces nice big file sizes & gives me great wide angle lense performance, the images from the S3 look so much straight out the camera..

I wish Fuji would make a S3 with an EOS lens mount...
 
Smart Alac:
The crop factor for the S3 is 1.5x...
Nikon and Fuji have a partnership where Nikon suplies the Body
Based in a N80 for the S3.....and that partnership has grown stronger
the last 18 months.....
Unfortunately (for you) the coming S4 will be based in a Nikon F6
Body....I have read that are some lens adapters that you could use
but I am not sure if they work with the S3 or S4.....

If you want to read more of the S4 go here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1020&message=15386821
Cesar.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top