Canon XL-H2!

It's not like so many are willing to pre-order A1 based on spec. A1/G1 use existing XL-H1 technology in smaller form factor and knowing Canon's reputation we can rest assured they won't disappoint.

Talking about human nature, it reminded me about good old XL1. Many people complained it was not full DV resolution camera even though pixel shift improved image quality significantly. Now many of the same people glorify Panasonic for the same approach in HVX200 :)

Disclaimer: I do not claim HVX200 is bad camera :)
 
It's not like so many are willing to pre-order A1 based on spec. A1/G1 use existing XL-H1 technology in smaller form factor and knowing Canon's reputation we can rest assured they won't disappoint.

Except we are seeing time and time again that that there is so much more to these cameras than simply the imagers. None of the 1/3 HD cameras delivers the full resolution their CCDs are supposedly capible of. There's a lot more to the camera then just the CCD. The prosect of the A1 is quite encouraging but there is a still a red light that goes off in my head when I see its price compared to the A1 (9k vs 4k). Logic says to me that something's gotta give (besides just the interchangible lenses and SDI out). Maybe that won't be the case. Maybe it'll give us all the imaging power of the XLH1 and perhaps I'll borrow one from a friend when I'm doing a nice wide static shot where the extra horizontal resolution over the HVX would be nice. Untill we see the images we don't know though.

And, out of curiosity, when were people complaining about the XL1 imager? I recall it constantly being thought of as the top of the line miniDV camera untill the DVX100 was released.
 
DavidBeier said:
...
And, out of curiosity, when were people complaining about the XL1 imager? I recall it constantly being thought of as the top of the line miniDV camera untill the DVX100 was released.

You actually answered your question. Most of complains began when DVX100 was released. Suddenly many people started paying attention to how soft XL1 images were in comparison with DVX. I owned XL1 and worked with DVX100 also and personally I find XL1's images more pleasant and more resistant to artifacts when pushed to the limits of resolution at high contrasts.
When Panasonic used pixel shift approach in HVX200, many of those folks had no problem with low rez CCDs. That's why I say we are interesting species.
 
So you owned and liked the XL1 and find the images pleasant?

You do realize the XL1 CCDs are Panasonic-manufactured, pixel-shift CCDs, right? ;)
 
Barry_Green said:
So you owned and liked the XL1 and find the images pleasant?

You do realize the XL1 CCDs are Panasonic-manufactured, pixel-shift CCDs, right? ;)
You've just got to love Barry :Drogar-Evil(DBG):
 
Everyone should just let me borrow there cams for 1 month so I can use them for various projects and compare how good the picture is:).
But honestly the picture quality doesn't matter that much anymore. They are all comparable. Only things like dof,lenses,colorspace,audio,PRICE!!! matter now. Give me a sony fx1 and a 10 million dollar budget and I bet I could make a killer movie.
JACKASS 2 was #1 at the box office. What did they shoot?

and yeah Shannon I don't know about 24f on that XL-H1, but on the new XH-A1 I heard it was the bomb. :)
 
Barry_Green said:
So you owned and liked the XL1 and find the images pleasant?

You do realize the XL1 CCDs are Panasonic-manufactured, pixel-shift CCDs, right? ;)

Of course I know that (knew that long, long time ago) and I don't have anything against shifting some pixels from time to time, as long as images look nice :)

I just find human nature fascinating. Another example: there is so much criticizm expressed these days against people so optimistically waiting for upcoming Canon A1 and G1 cameras (I'm one of them). I think our enthusiasm has very solid ground since Canon employed existing H1 technology. Funny, there was not so much of criticism when people got so fascinated about HVX200 before its specs were even known (!) calling it 1080p camcorder :huh: I don't get it... :)
 
disjecta said:
You've just got to love Barry :Drogar-Evil(DBG):

One of the things I love for sure is your beautiful footage of nature. That's one of the reasons I fell in love with Canon XL-H1 :) and can't wait for A1, hoping to have it with me every time I have a chance to leave the big city.

Thanks!
 
XL H2 update

now that the hdx500 is out at $14,000 with 2/3 inch ccds what do you think the canon XL H2 will have?
I think it will update the hdsdi out and put 2/3 ccds in it and charge about $10,000. This will undercut the panasonic 500 but will still shoot on mini dv. They should however add a hardrive, maybe one of those 80 gig ipod hardrives that can store hdv in cam. That would be sweet.
 
I'm pretty sure the Pana camera at $14K is minus a lens. 2/3" HD lenses are not cheap.

I doubt Canon will put 2/3" chips in an H1 successor. I'm guessing CMOS 1/3" full raster 3 chip design .
 
Elton said:
I'm pretty sure the Pana camera at $14K is minus a lens. 2/3" HD lenses are not cheap.

I doubt Canon will put 2/3" chips in an H1 successor. I'm guessing CMOS 1/3" full raster 3 chip design .
Indeed.
And a new image processor, Digic III.

Canon will deliver a 2/3 camcorder pretty soon.
They could implement a single chip design which when coupled with one of their own lenses, an economic solution (cheap zoom lens) might allow them to reduce costs say, $18,000 in all? Basically breaking it half, 10 gs initially, but later 8 gs for the camera, and 8 gs for the lens.

Still, SI2K will remain an alternative package.
And if RED keeps costs on their units below 20 grand, and they start to create packages that also include an economic zoom lens, and storage for below 23 grand and are able to keep up with demand, they will remain a strong alternative to these up and coming 2/3 HD cameras as well.
 
Sheesh, if that did happen, Digigenic, then what would that say about the prosumer market? I remember when people balked at prices higher than $5,000. Then we got acceptable camera packages that went all the way up to $10,000 no sweat. Now people are talking as if $12,000 - $20,000 is no big deal.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Canon make an XLH2 with all the fixes that were put into the A1 and G1, but not for anything higher than $10,000. Otherwise, as you said, people would look to SI and RED.
 
2/3 inch ccds and i am stiicking to it. For under at most $12,000 without a lens.I do however think it will be $12,000 with lens included. It will still record to hdv and that can be a good or bad thing. I think NAB will show what canon is hiding. And yeah it might be a H1s.
 
Back
Top