Canon XL H1 movie (The Signal) sold for 2.3 million!!!! WOW

Umm.. this was shot HDV. OMG not HDV you cant be serious. (feel the sarchasm). Canon made an HDV camera? why?
 
Weird, I can't seem to find any stills of this film although IMDB has the budget @ $5,210,000 (estimated). The hype sure is thick though, and I'll just throw into the volly that the story sound a whole lot like cell... Although I am stoked to see it.

Just my 2 cents.
 
I'm pretty sure it was 24F. I bought a used H1 from Nick as he had two and he gave me a choice of the newer one or the old one (used for shooting the signal) for a further discount. It was definitely an NTSC model and Nick never said it had the "PAL" conversion done to it. He can probably confirm this however.
 
It was shot in 24F HDV mode with the Mini35 adapter and Zeiss Cine lenses.

Nick actually posted a very short m2t from some raw footage early on in the production. It appeared to be a CU of some very nervous hands fashioning a homemade weapon. Super shallow DOF.

I'm hoping to sneak into the Sunday screening in Park City.
 
There's also a trailer on DVInfo.net. Very short, very small. Second CANON Digital movie to create hyper-buzz, and imagine that: it's a horror flick.
 
HDkilledFILM. said:
Weird, I can't seem to find any stills of this film although IMDB has the budget @ $5,210,000 (estimated). The hype sure is thick though, and I'll just throw into the volly that the story sound a whole lot like cell... Although I am stoked to see it.

Just my 2 cents.


A 5 million budget? :-Laugh(DBG): I seriously doubt that one.
 
Elton said:
A 5 million budget? :-Laugh(DBG): I seriously doubt that one.

Seriously, though. Maybe if you factor in all of the favors and such, and what they really might've cost.
 
Elton said:
It was shot in 24F HDV mode with the Mini35 adapter and Zeiss Cine lenses.

Elton, did you see it at Sundance? How'd it look?

That's very impressive. They chose 24f instead of going with some expensive hardware de-interlacer. They shot HDV instead of trying to go uncompressed. Did they test and consider the alternatives and deem them unnecessary? Hope they write up an article for dvxuser or xlcinema. This is a real testament to the Canon HDV cams.

Any news, if and when, it will get a theatrical release? Sounds like a cool film, and I'd pay just to see Canon's 24f HDV on the big screen.
 
the signal

the signal

guys;im pretty sure that the signal trailer was posted on xlcinema a couple of months ago.look up the archive.brilliant trailer by the way.
 
Ha! $5m and shot on HDV? I also doubt it.

I saw the preview on AOTS! Had I known it was shot on the XL H1 I would have taken a better look into it. I actually thought it looked a little video like, but I didn't really take note of the look.
 
The trailer looks sick. I think the 5mil budget was just a total estimate of all the distros costs in marketing and obtaining the rights, after all if they paid 2.3mil they must be willing to market it.
 
Come on somebody knows a rough budget for this movie. 50k,100k,200k,500k? Come on please. PM me :) And where is the trailer? Thanks
 
Back
Top