Buy now or wait for NAB

tjpowers

Member
Well my beloved PD170 is up on ebay and has recieved a bid. No turning back now. I have decided on the EX1 but what I can't decide is this...

Do I buy now and get the second free SxS card?
Or do I wait till NAB? I will be there and there may be show specials.

On the one hand a free 500 SxS card is great. But my concern is that a year from now I'm going to be using 2 x 32 gig cards (for less money) and the 8 gig cards are going to collect dust. I'm wondering if it is worth rushing it.

If I wait, I lose the second card. But there could be something to gain announced at NAB. For instance, when I bought my PD 170 there was a delay, and in the meantime Sony decided to throw in a wide lens in the box. As a result mine came with the wide lens... a pretty good value. Does anyone think maybe some kind of a "included item refresh" might be coming with the EX1?

Also, I dont need to know specifics on where... don't want to put anyone in an akward situation. But what kind of prices have you guys gotten? I may have the final decision on 2 EX1s for two different businesses. Does anyone think I can use that to my advantage?
 
Do you have a client -- a paying client? If you do, buy now.

If not, NAB is 4 weeks away.

As to show prices or new promotions, it's anybody's guess.

I take the bird in the hand type approach, but you have to assess how quickly you need the cam.
 
I totally agree there...

However, I dont need it any time before NAB. If something comes up I have other means. I am more worried about getting a good deal on an already underpriced camera. Weahter that comes in terms of accessories or money is not really an issue to me as long as I feel like it was a good purchase (relatively speaking of course).
 
If you don't need it now, you'd be silly to buy right now -- look at all the threads and complaints about vignetting and backfocus issues and such. Let that dust settle before you buy in.
 
also, keep in mind that even though NAB is right around the corner.... the actual deliver date for any new cameras might not be for months and months afterwards. A bird in hand is better than two in the bush. or a camera in hand...
You can always own a camera for a year or even six months.... and then sell it if something else comes along that suites your needs better.
 
Back
Top