Buy HVX now or wait for RED?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I would like to get some opinions. I was about to buy an HVX to shoot some indie features with. But now that we know that the RED camera will be $17,500 and maybe available by next year, is it still worth to get an HVX?

Realistically, from here to next year I could only do about two to three features if all goes well. So maybe I should just rent a camera. What do you all think?
 
17500 just gets u the camera.. its a 25K system at the minimum....

HVX is still a viable option.... check out the new JVCs.. they announced 2 modifiers to HD100
 
sorry but the red camera is just a concept, the pictures that they gave were not actual photos, rendered 3d modeling. i suspect that it will be released next mid to late 2007 or early 2008. this is my prediction. If you want to wait a year or more than go ahead but the HVX is great camera to shoot now and get your work out their.
 
redindian said:
17500 just gets u the camera.. its a 25K system at the minimum....

I already have super 16mm lenses... and I think one should be able to record directly into a mac mini (they should be fast enough by then). So it still would only be about 17,500... or about 8,000 more than the HVX with the two 8 gig cards.
 
You know? For filmmakers (excuse the nature enthusiasts on this one), you sure don't think of the best possible approach.

You need a tool NOW. So either buy what's out NOW, then sell later, or rent a camera when you need it.

You don't hold off for another camera... you shoot when you can shoot and never stop. It's been mentioned thousands of times : The camera is only a paintbrush.

Rent if you don't want to buy. No sense in having an eight-thousand dollar brick sitting around if you aren't going to shoot with it at LEAST every other weekend.
 
You don't hold off for another camera... you shoot when you can shoot and never stop. It's been mentioned thousands of times : The camera is only a paintbrush.

YES YES YES !

Beautifully spoken.
 
manfredlopez said:
Realistically, from here to next year I could only do about two to three features if all goes well. So maybe I should just rent a camera. What do you all think?

Man you must move fast! 3 features in a year.
 
John_Hudson said:
YES YES YES !

Beautifully spoken.

I'm totally guilty of the "which camera to use?" thing. I'm stuck between HD100+mini35 or HVX200+mini35 for my May short film shoot ... but I sure as hell ain't waiting for RED ONE to shoot anything.
 
Kholi said:
You know? For filmmakers [...] you sure don't think of the best possible approach.

You need a tool NOW. So either buy what's out NOW, then sell later, or rent a camera when you need it.

I have a DVX now... and use it quite a bit. Maybe not every other weekend, but still a lot.

The nature of my question comes from an upgrading point of view. I mean the HVX was FINALLY released about 5 minutes ago... and now we have the RED as a posible near future posibility. So the question still stands, but maybe I should reword:

Should I 'upgrade' to HVX now or wait for RED?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top