.... But wot about Australia?!

EL_STUPIDO

Active member
Prob not deserved of a new topic. Sorry. First time poster, long time reader.

Just before all you Americans get tetchy about the Red costing $17500 for the base unit (sans lens, raid, rigs/cages)

in AUSTRALIA that cost translates to.... (checking my OS X widget)

BOOM: $22,694.852(AUD)

add the lens is: $6,160.031(AUD)

.... yeah mates, it gets pretty pricey.

Which is even further beyond those of us who dream. Not complaining. Totally support this camera. Have vowed never to shoot film in my life.

Just wondering if Red the company will take any steps to ensure the revolution is able to happen elsewhere than the US is all. I know Oakley sell sunglasses 'downunder'....

El Stupido
 
EL_STUPIDO said:
....in AUSTRALIA that cost translates to.... <snip>BOOM: $22,694.852(AUD)

Hmm, that is exactly the same price, using a different currency.
One could also argue that the RED camera costs 26,308,535.41 Lire, but it's still the same price.
 
yeah.... I never said I was bright. But $22k is STILL a lot more than $17k

I argue that me, earning an Australian wage, on Australian money makes it harder for me to save up $22k than it does for US on US wage to save up $17k

It's like Macs... the base price of their cheap models in US seem accessible, translate them to Aust and they are luxury item, not bargain.

Granted though, the next Dario Agento is in deeper straights then me.
 
I think maybe you are a little blinded by the RED color of this cam and the color's association with communism :) - I doubt if the RED team will sell the RED camera in Burundi for U$14.75, which would be what you seem to be asking.

Besides, the example of the Mac in Australia is not a good one, as such things often go through exclusive importers, who slap on a hefty fee to cover their own local advertising, infrastructure, and support fees. So the price IS often higher than in the U.S. (or any other originating country).
At this point, you should be VERY LUCKY *IF* you can buy the RED cam in Australia for Au$22,694.85!
 
Last edited:
hey yeah...maybe the camera is a front for the communists. In fact look back to some of those early Josef Stalin speeches and I think you can see the Red cage in the background. Along with Jar Jar Binks.

ha

yeahnah, look. I just want the camera is all. Or at least to get the Australian Film Commissiont to fund my feature and use that camera.

I am just lamenting that it seems further away when that camera is translated in to Australian dollars...

El Stupido

PS: If the avg wage in the US is 50k an the avg wage in Aust is 50k.... youse are getting a better deal.
 
Back
Top