Best Settings For Featue Shoot

DavidG

Active member
Hey, I tried searching for a similar question on the board but found nothing so i thought i'd post even if youve heard it a million times.

I was wondering what the best settings would be on the HV20 for shooting a feature? would you use cinemode or manually change things about?

Thanks.
 
I recently shot a 40 min film, I tried to use shutter priority as often as possible, this keeps the camera from dipping bellow 1/48 shutter speed, this keeps your motion from having to much motion blur. We had to shoot 2 night scenes and I chose cinema mode, I lost the benifit of locking down my shutter but it keeps the gain from getting to high. I just authored the film to BLU-Ray and watched it on a 110" screen in HD and it is crazy how good the footage looks for an $800 camera.
We also shot everything with the native lens.

Good Luck
:laugh:
 
I recently shot a 40 min film, I tried to use shutter priority as often as possible, this keeps the camera from dipping bellow 1/48 shutter speed, this keeps your motion from having to much motion blur. We had to shoot 2 night scenes and I chose cinema mode, I lost the benifit of locking down my shutter but it keeps the gain from getting to high. I just authored the film to BLU-Ray and watched it on a 110" screen in HD and it is crazy how good the footage looks for an $800 camera.
We also shot everything with the native lens.

Good Luck
:laugh:

Are you gonna post up anything from it? I'd love to see something.
 
I have the HV20 plus a 35 adapter. What are you using to author BR? I'm on a Mac G4 but do have an Intell 2.0 Macbok. Also how did you light this. That was real nice.

-Nate

I am authoring in DVD Architect, and it looks gorgeous!

Our lighting guy was using a lot of different lights. For this scene we mainly used a china ball, filled with 5600k florescents that he bought from Home Depot, it gave us a really soft light and looked great.

I posted a question in the lighting forum asking if there is a difference in your image, outside of the color temperature, if you light with 5600k lights vs 3200k lights, everyone said no, but I think there is. I talked to someone about it once and they said that you have a wider color spectrum if you use 5600k lights.
The point being that we used both in this film and I think the stuff that we lit with 5600k does look better. What "better" is, I can't explain exactly, better contrast maybe?
 
would you use cinemode or manually change things about?

Like others have said, it's really up to you and is a matter of testing to see what works best and most importantly what you like personally. I personally do not like the softening that Cinemode introduces. I know people argue that it's just disabling the in-camera sharpening and that you can recover it (with more precision) in post, but I haven't found that always to be the case. Switching back from Cinemode to Tv mode, there are simply some details that are lost in Cinemode. You do gain more latitude in Cinemode because Tv mode has a pretty aggressive gamma curve, but let's face it, this is video and you're always going to need to control the light to overcome limited dynamic range.

In the end, with Cinemode, I just found myself hating the way things looked out of the camera, and spending a lot of time in post trying to recover the look you get with Tv mode (and its variants) right away.
 
Back
Top