Best low cost accessory you've bought

Kubicixfactor

Active member
I've accumulated loads of bits and pieces over the years, some have been useful and others consigned to the back of the cupboard. So what's the best (under about £100) thing you've bought that you've found invaluable?

Purposely posting this after Black Friday to avoid a spending spree!
 
Rear lens caps for my Sony F55 mount adapters - keeps the dust out when they're in storage.

 
I got this holster to carry my Osmo Pocket 3. Works perfectly when I have my hands busy with another camera. Just drop it in, or whip it out.
 
  1. Aluminum phone holder tripod adapter ($10 - $30)
  2. White balance disc ($10 - $50 depending on the brand)
  3. Light stand spring clamp ($20)
  4. Eneloop rechargeable batteries ($30 for a charger & some batteries)
  5. 4-Channel NP-F Battery Charger ($30)
  6. Super Clamp ($40)
  7. Gray/white card (<$100)
  8. Audio-Technica AT8415 shockmount ($60)
  9. Watson NP-F970 battery ($70)
  10. Viltrox dumb focal reducer (<$100)
  11. 42" x 72" 5-in-1 reflector ($100, but about $50 on sale)
  12. Circular polarizer filter (<$100 depending on the size and brand)
  13. Audio-Technica AT875R short shotgun mic (<$100 used)
  14. Nikon 50mm f/1.8D (<$100 used or refurbished)
  15. Basic field monitor ($100-ish)
Not video specific:
  1. Digital caliper ($35 - $55)
  2. Harbor Freight Battery Charger/Maintainer ($30 on sale)
  3. Headlamp, I use a Black Diamond Storm ($60), which I like a lot, but they tend to wear out after a couple years.
  4. Leatherman Wave multitool ($100 on sale)
  5. Inversion table ($50-ish used)
  6. Electronics Repair Kit ($20 - $70)
  7. Multimeter (<$100, unless you need all the bells and whistles)
I know I'll think of lots of stuff later.
 
Posted about this a couple months ago in Audio Gear, but plastic business card cases are dirt-cheap and work very well for storing and organizing lavs. 12 for just under $12 on Amazon.

Also, the Viviana Lav Accessory Box is an extremely useful container for expendables. It's small enough to tuck into a pocket or pouch (I'm a cargo-shorts-on-set guy, so it's always in my cargo pocket), and keeps close at hand exactly what I need in a pinch. I keep the full expendables kit on my follow cart or in the car, and refill as needed.
 
Last edited:
Posted about this a couple months ago in Audio Gear, but plastic business card cases are dirt-cheap and work very well for storing and organizing lavs. 12 for just under $12 on Amazon.

Also, the Viviana Lav Accessory Box is an extremely useful container for expendables. It's small enough to tuck into a pocket or pouch (I'm a cargo-shorts-on-set guy, so it's always in my cargo pocket), and keeps close at hand exactly what I need in a pinch. I keep the full expendables kit on my follow cart or in the car, and refill as needed.
Ahhh that lav accessory box is super handy, just ordered!
 
Browsing at Bass Pro Shop a year or so ago, I stumbled on the 270º sling pack from White River Fly Shop. It’s well under $100.

It’s a great bag for carrying essentials. Of the two main compartments, one is big enough for several spare smart batteries plus some AA caddies, and the other has plenty of room for a couple of spare transmitters, a few lavs (in the business card cases mentioned earlier), a couple IFB receivers, and spare ear buds. The front zipper pouches can hold extra expendables.

I’m not sure if they even make this bag anymore, but go browse the fishing section and you’ll find a few sling pack options.
 
I would say matts.

I think there is nothing more professional that a rubber doormat over any cables that cross a walkway on set.
$10.
Like.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/JVL-Outdoo...=1733332869&sprefix=rubber+doo,aps,246&sr=8-7
--

Interesting im looking to store my osmo 3 .. but mine has a 30cm handle!

I seem to by buying amazon almost daily letts have a look.. Ive been doing a bit of 'tabletop'

-3 paper green tape .. to green screen small products
-circlip pliers.. actually for my milling machine
-safety specs
-black 'paper' tape 25mm for reflections on products
-10*30cm black corrugated board
-50mm black gaffer tape
-100x100mm 3mm platic sheet (poor mans optical flat for drink splashes)
-tiny flight cases.. I want to put a few hard things (allens pliers) in my camera bag
-bmx tires for rickshaw
-10in tye and tube for cart
--safe ends for scaffolding for rickshaw
-50*aa batteries disposable
-8tb hard drive seagate
-matt black spraypaint to dull off some..
-4w practical bulbs
-256 sd card
-clear plastic bags
-reusable cable ties
-feelwierd 5.5inch monitor to replace smallHD 504
-cf card reader - for sound devices recorder
-belt
-HDMI->SDI box
-sharpie pens
-transparent bin bags
-mousemate
-ipad protective case
-transparrent bin bags (over LED outdoors)
-clear pencil cases.. cable management
 
Ahhh that lav accessory box is super handy, just ordered!
Not proper accessories as such, but! I use old DVC Pro tape cassette cases for lavs. Perfect size and snap shut beautifully. :) And cheap tennis balls. Cut a 1" X into them. Use them on lighting C stand legs as protector feet, and even tripods. Don't scratch timber and tile floors and allows you to slide your lights around easily and smoothly.

Chris Young
 
I absolutely love my RoboCup. I've got some of the add-ons for it as well (holster and robocup plus). I've told many clients that it has been my best gear purchase.

For protecting cables and avoiding trip hazards, I really like the TechFlex Dura Race. Only works on carpet but not having to use gaff tape and being able to re-use it is awesome.
 
@little bobby That Dura Race cable protector looks excellent, I'll pick up a couple of those. I'm eyeing up the RoboCup for my 1973 VW Type 2 that doesn't have cup holders, you've just solved a problem I've had for about 15 years :)
 
@Kubicixfactor It really is a great product. This is what I recently used it in. We only used the Yellow Jackets where the cables entered our makeshift control room. Under the Dura Race was 6 HDMI cables and 5 XLR cables with some stingers running at the far end of the studio.
IMG_7367.jpg
 
It does not. It is a sticky mess that should not be on a film set.
Both can be true. Last night I was pulling xlr cables and two I’d zip tied for make shift stereo pair had a piece of gaffers that had turned to disgusting goo I had to use that orange goo remover.

But today filming a conference a mic boom stand failed as the speaker started talking. Gaffer’s tape to the rescue fixed it with in seconds. Once in the middle of the performance tripod leg began to fail. Gaffer’s tape saved the day. Often there’s a need for an immediate fix to get through the job.
 
Back
Top