avcintra 100 and FCP

Stijn

Active member
Hello,
Is it possible to import avc intra 100 footage into FCP and edit the footage realtime on macbook pro 2.93ghz with 4gb of ram?
Jan from Panasonic said something in another topic about setting the timeline as prores but it still needs rendering.

Who can help me?
Thx in advance!
Stijn
 
I can tell you that AVC-I 100 to ProRes drops frames on my MBPro 2.33 with a single FW800 drive (2.5" 7200 rpm). It does not drop files with footage on the Sonnet F2 eSata 2-drive raid.

Ned
 
So basicly, how do i set up my fcp timeline and whats the good way to import my footage?
My way now is to copy the footage (with folder structure) from the P2 card to my desktop and then "drag & drop" it into FCP. Somehow it doesn't work with the transfer tool from FCP...

Thx all for the info!
 
You must install the AVC-Intra plug-in from the Panasonic site.

Then use Log and Transfer. You can transcode either to ProRes or ProRes HQ. Or use MXF4Mac to use those MXF files natively.

What I am saying is that it takes quite some resources to play AVC-I ProRes timeline and the MBPro is right on the cusp.

Ned Soltz
 
You must install the AVC-Intra plug-in from the Panasonic site.

Then use Log and Transfer. You can transcode either to ProRes or ProRes HQ. Or use MXF4Mac to use those MXF files natively.

What I am saying is that it takes quite some resources to play AVC-I ProRes timeline and the MBPro is right on the cusp.

Ned Soltz
Mmm, but what easy setup should i choose?
If i choose DVCPRO HD i can use the log and transfer tool to import all of my footage including the ones that are recorded in avcintra 100. And the footage in my bin is then Proress 422. Is this correct? And its data rate is only 14,5mb/s

I thought i had to choose Proress 422 in the easy setup?
I have the avc intra plugin installed...

And how do you best connect the camera to the laptop? USB device or firewire?

Again THX
 
Last edited:
Connect the camera via USB for transferring AVC-I. FireWire only works for DVCPRO HD.

The Log and Transfer window ignores your Easy Setup; it detects what type of footage is available (connected P2 cards) and automatically transcodes everything to ProRes when you have AVC-I footage.

Oddly, there is no Easy Setup included with FCP for editing ProRes footage. If you want, you can make yourself a new one, but the only vital part of it is the Sequence Preset.

Open your Audio/Video Settings and change the Sequence Preset to the Apple ProRes 422 setting that matches your footage. Set the Video and Audio Playback settings as needed. If you want, you can click 'Create Easy Setup...' now to save this for later use.

After you do this, create a new Sequence to work with, since the old one will still have the old settings.

Now you can use Log and Transfer to bring all of your footage in and start cutting right away.

Your MacBook Pro should be plenty fast to process the ProRes footage, but, like Ned said, you'll need some fast storage to keep up with it. Either edit off of an internal 7200RPM drive and archive to a FireWire drive, or, ideally, get an eSATA ExpressCard adapter and an external eSATA RAID for the best results.
 
Using L/T, you can import either pro res or pro res HQ.

Set your sequence up anyway you wish.

But then when you drop the file into the sequence, FCP 6.0.5 will ask if you want to match the sequence settings with the clip and you say yes/ok.
 
Back
Top