Atomos Shogun Flame for FS700

sameerkoke

New member
Hi,
I see that most of you guys use the O7Q or O7Q+. Is there any particular reason for this? I got an FS700 last year and now I am planing to get an external recorder. Atomos came out with Shogun Flame and would like to know how it is compared to the O7Q+.
 
The Odyssey7Q+ supports the F700 more completely than any other recorder, including the Sony solution. It can record 4K60p, 2K240p and 4K short bursts up to 120p. It can do these in RAW or Apple ProRes, and in Apple ProRes it can capture in S-Log2, Rec709 or Rec709(800%). It can also take the 4K RAW data and SuperSample it to make HD Apple ProRes video that is superior to the HD output of the camera. No other recorder comes close to delivering this level of performance.
 
The Odyssey7Q+ supports the F700 more completely than any other recorder, including the Sony solution. It can record 4K60p, 2K240p and 4K short bursts up to 120p. It can do these in RAW or Apple ProRes, and in Apple ProRes it can capture in S-Log2, Rec709 or Rec709(800%). It can also take the 4K RAW data and SuperSample it to make HD Apple ProRes video that is superior to the HD output of the camera. No other recorder comes close to delivering this level of performance.

I have an FS700 and just recently acquired the Shogun Flame, with which I just started experimenting. Thus far like the results very much. Lots of options, and 8 uploadable LUTs to apply to the LOG settings. I wasn't aware that the O7Q added Prores to their offering at the time I placed my purchase (I thought it only did RAW) and that information might have swayed my decision the other way. I didn't really need RAW and the thought of processing those HUGE files steered me to the Shogun. That having been said, the Shogun Flame's HDR screen is quite amazing and works in daylight better than I would have thought which makes my decision far more palatable to the point of being quite satisfied.

Both companies will continue to push new firmware, I'm sure. It wouldn't surprise me if Atomos added HFR and RAW upgrades for the FS700 in the near future.
 
Last edited:
What Firstbase said. Mine arrived yesterday and I haven't really had much of a chance to investigate it but that screen - gosh! My understanding is that 60fps at least is on the FW roadmap for the first half of this year, as is FS700 raw to raw recording.
 
The Odyssey7Q+ supports the F700 more completely than any other recorder, including the Sony solution. It can record 4K60p, 2K240p and 4K short bursts up to 120p. It can do these in RAW or Apple ProRes, and in Apple ProRes it can capture in S-Log2, Rec709 or Rec709(800%). It can also take the 4K RAW data and SuperSample it to make HD Apple ProRes video that is superior to the HD output of the camera. No other recorder comes close to delivering this level of performance.

Do I have to buy the RAW license package for supersampling? Also one main disadvantage for me is the unavailability of any vendor's selling the O7Q+ here in India(as far as I know). Right now I have to consider recorder+extra SSD's+ shipping+Customs.
 
I agree with your RAW agreement especially for a outfit like mine who cannot afford to have a post heavy setup.
If I am not wrong Shogun Flame lacks high frame options (1080p120*, 1080p60/50). where as the O7Q+ as Mitch mentioned can record 4K60p, 2K240p and 4K short bursts up to 120p.
Shogun Flame comes with a 10 bit display, sony L series battries and support for third party SSD to name a few whicth is a good thing.
 
I agree with your RAW agreement especially for a outfit like mine who cannot afford to have a post heavy setup.
If I am not wrong Shogun Flame lacks high frame options (1080p120*, 1080p60/50). where as the O7Q+ as Mitch mentioned can record 4K60p, 2K240p and 4K short bursts up to 120p.
Shogun Flame comes with a 10 bit display, sony L series battries and support for third party SSD to name a few whicth is a good thing.

That $900 license was another reason I moved to the Shogun Flame. I'm sure 4k60 will be soon arriving with Shogun firmware update(s) and I'm not positive and I haven't tested it, but 120p HD may already be possible on the Flame via HDMI. Not sure though. I'll explore the Shogun HD options with my FS700.
 
Do I have to buy the RAW license package for supersampling? Also one main disadvantage for me is the unavailability of any vendor's selling the O7Q+ here in India(as far as I know). Right now I have to consider recorder+extra SSD's+ shipping+Customs.
You need the Odyssey RAW Bundle to use the RAW signal in any way. That includes taking the 4K RAW signal, processing and SuperSampling to HD for recording in Apple ProRes.

Expandore is our distributor in India so you can buy local from them. There is a Worldwide Dealer list on our website. And we support a series of SamSung SSDs that are available worldwide.
 
That $900 license was another reason I moved to the Shogun Flame. I'm sure 4k60 will be soon arriving with Shogun firmware update(s) and I'm not positive and I haven't tested it, but 120p HD may already be possible on the Flame via HDMI. Not sure though. I'll explore the Shogun HD options with my FS700.
Do not be sure of any function from anyone that is not on a spec sheet. Processing 4K60p is no small affair.

120p is only available out of the FS700 in the RAW signal. No one but Convergent Design supports capturing this signal and recording it as video, nor has any other manufacturer pledged to.

The Odyssey RAW Bundle is on sale for the month of April for $795 via our website.
 
Before buying my 7Q+ I was also looking into the Shogun (not flame) as the Odyssey really is above my means. I tried to ask Atomos about any plans of supporting faster frame rates, but was met with silence... That was a big part of me to finally going with the 7Q+... The availability of Mitch on this forum (and elsewhere) is a very reassuring thing!
 
... but 120p HD may already be possible on the Flame via HDMI.

I was fiddling with this yesterday. What you can do (and this was over SDI - haven't checked HDMI) is if you switch the camera's output to HD (not RAW) over SDI then set 120fps (will test 240 today) then use the FS700's end trigger functionality as per usual, once you hit the end trigger the video will play out to the recorder (triggering record automatically) at 60fps. You can then conform in your NLE. It's not raw - I'm given to understand it's 8bit 4:2:2 - and I have yet to check whether you can slow it down to give you the same 120fps effect as straight out of the camera - but it's a start!
 
What you get at that point is 8-bit 4:2:2 HD video that's a bit fuzzy and is playing out the high frame rate recorded material at a slower frame rate. It may be ready-made slow motion but it is not the quality of what comes out RAW, and it is also only available in short bits. In fact it's barely any different than what is recorded internally.
 
Further information on the Shogun Flame... I did a series of tests in both RAW and HD 1080p 60 and quickly noticed that 2K RAW capture is not a viable option on the FS700 due to severe moiré / aliasing. I believe this is an FS700 issue that any external recording device would encounter. This may already be common knowledge, but I hadn't stumbled across this info before. The good news: Both 4K and 1080p show no signs of moiré or aliasing from external capture on the Shogun Flame and work very well.
 
Back
Top