Anyone Staying with DSLR's?

jambredz

Veteran
Kinda tired of the phrase "dslr killer" right about now lol...but do you guys think there will be a market for the poorer type of user (who currently shoot with dslr's) and who already have their dslr rigs and cannot afford AF100's and the obvious other types of these cams on the horizon. A market where between $800-$2000 every couple years these guys can upgrade their camera body alone (cuz they will already have all the other gear) cuz they can't afford $4800 and above? I kinda think there is that market and hopefully Canon and Company will continue to advance the features on these hdslr's. I think they will be here for some time and pretty usable 2.(im not talking about most of you guys who will be using hdslr's as b cams).
 
Last edited:
ahh...yes...but are you using them alone is the question :) I know alot of you will be using them as b cam in conjunction with your "real" camera. I speak of the poorer folk who will be using them exclusively cuz they have no choice...the real real real indy lol. :)
 
1. DSLR's are still primarily takers photos so AF100 will not even touch their market in that regard.

2. next wave of DSLR sequels may have some interesting competition for AF100. For instance if/when Canon 5d mark III comes it may very well strongly compete with AF100 in many respects

so yes there are many reasons to stay with DSLR's but also you have to wait until the AF100 is fully realized and released. Its final form may be so good that everyone rushes over to it, even the fence sitters. Or it may end up being disappointing and alot will stay with DSLR's. Only time will tell so stay tuned til december 27
 
2. next wave of DSLR sequels may have some interesting competition for AF100. For instance if/when Canon 5d mark III comes it may very well strongly compete with AF100 in many respects


thats what i keep thinking. if we got these camera by chance...cuz we all know this was a grand mistake... as Canon didnt forsee this. But now they do see... so the next version of these things may very well be pretty nice, clearly not AS nice as video cams... c'mon lets just face facts, these are still cameras first and foremost. But i think they will be pretty darn usable and the broke indy dudes that cant afford AF100's and the like will still be able to give the "real" cams a good run for it.
 
Last edited:
thats what i keep thinking. if we got these camera by chance...cuz we all know this was a grand mistake... as Canon didnt forsee this. But now they do see... so the next version of these things may very well be pretty nice, clearly not AS nice as video cams... c'mon lets just face facts, these are still cameras first and foremost. But i think they will be pretty darn usable and the broke indy dudes that cant afford AF100's and the like will still be able to give the "real" cams a good run for it.

yes especially if to many people the FOOTAGE of 5dmkii looks similar to af100 so imagine what 5dmkiii may look like. maybe as good or better who knows.

And honestly the 'form factor' is starting to not matter either so it's not like a Canon COULD in theory never be as good as aF100 just because af100 LOOKS like a camera because if you ever saw the upcoming Red EPIC that is probably the single most anticipated camera in history, well you'll see it's actually shaped like a bloody DSLR so even at the high end cameras are starting to LOOK like damn DSLR's here's a pic of upcoming Red EPIC 5k cam


RED_Epic_BULLDOG_675.jpg
red_EPIC-X.jpg



what does that look like more to you, an AF100 or a Canon 5dmkii?
 
ahh...yes...but are you using them alone is the question :) I know alot of you will be using them as b cam in conjunction with your "real" camera. I speak of the poorer folk who will be using them exclusively cuz they have no choice...the real real real indy lol. :)

I'm using mine alone. I think the AF-100 is the bee's knees, but I can't afford it, and I have a solution that works for me right now, so why wouldn't I be content to keep using them?
 
yeh i actually am liking the dslr form factor because its very modular and can be stripped down to nothing. The AF100 is modular ...but not so small. and i can't pass certain security with it and fool them im taking photos.
 
RE: EPIC

One of the advantages of RED's Digital Still and Motion Camera (DSMC) system is that you get 5K frames up to 120 times per second. The image quality is to be more or less on par (if not above) what DSLRs are capable of. For every single frame.

This makes it attractive to some photographers - in fact, quite a few of the recent VOGUE covers/spreads have been shot on prototype EPICS.

The DSLR form factor exists not to imitate DSLRs because they are popular, but to allow professional photographers to use the camera in a way that works for them. The fact that you can still shoot video in that formfactor (with small batteries, small storage module, etc) is a bonus.
 
RE: EPIC

One of the advantages of RED's Digital Still and Motion Camera (DSMC) system is that you get 5K frames up to 120 times per second. The image quality is to be more or less on par (if not above) what DSLRs are capable of. For every single frame.

This makes it attractive to some photographers - in fact, quite a few of the recent VOGUE covers/spreads have been shot on prototype EPICS.

The DSLR form factor exists not to imitate DSLRs because they are popular, but to allow professional photographers to use the camera in a way that works for them. The fact that you can still shoot video in that formfactor (with small batteries, small storage module, etc) is a bonus.

doesn't the EPIC in theory then completely obviate the need for even ahving a stills camera or even TAKING PHOTOS anymore? Since every single frame of RED EPIC footage will be a 5k (13-14megapixel?) perfect photo that means you can literally just let the red epic run on video and tell the model to do whatever they want to do, you as photographer go take a coffee break then come back and extract perfect photos from the epic footage.
 
There are those of us for whom the AF100 brings nothing to the table we need, and very few things we want. About the only thing I'd want to supplement my DSLR with is a 2/3" camera with interchangeable lenses. My EX1 hasn't been out of the case since June. Yea it's worlds shaper (shaper than the AF100 too most likely), and yea I'll have occasional use for it, but not everyone wants or needs a "video camera". Video camera's typically suck at making movies, which is why people with major budgets don't USE video cameras to shoot movies.

The AF100 is a video camera...with a big sensor. Exactly what I'd expect Panasonic to develop and market. It is NOT a digital cinema camera, and a basic look through it's feature set tells you that.

I'm sorry, I just have no need for another video camera. I've got 3 already.
 
There are those of us for whom the AF100 brings nothing to the table we need, and very few things we want. About the only thing I'd want to supplement my DSLR with is a 2/3" camera with interchangeable lenses. My EX1 hasn't been out of the case since June. Yea it's worlds shaper (shaper than the AF100 too most likely), and yea I'll have occasional use for it, but not everyone wants or needs a "video camera". Video camera's typically suck at making movies, which is why people with major budgets don't USE video cameras to shoot movies.

The AF100 is a video camera...with a big sensor. Exactly what I'd expect Panasonic to develop and market. It is NOT a digital cinema camera, and a basic look through it's feature set tells you that.

I'm sorry, I just have no need for another video camera. I've got 3 already.

the recent review posted, the guy tested them on a chart. a 75% complete AF100 equaled EX1's sharpness. both did 800 lines resolution
 
doesn't the EPIC in theory then completely obviate the need for even ahving a stills camera or even TAKING PHOTOS anymore?

Well, you are still taking photos...just a whole lot of them. And the artistic nature of the work is still the "thumbprint" of the photographer - the lighting, the direction, and the scenario. I think it just makes it a bit easier for them to get that "moment" they want. I dunno. I'm interested to hear from the photogs who have done such major shoots.
 
Well, you are still taking photos...just a whole lot of them. And the artistic nature of the work is still the "thumbprint" of the photographer - the lighting, the direction, and the scenario. I think it just makes it a bit easier for them to get that "moment" they want. I dunno. I'm interested to hear from the photogs who have done such major shoots.
by taking photos i meant physically depressing the shutter button. you aren't doing that anymore if you're just sitting there drinking tea while red epic records at 5k live. then all you need to do is select a proper photo from that footage (probably terrabytes of raw footage heh)

p.s. does jarred land post here or what. i heard he just did some red epic photoshoots
 
the recent review posted, the guy tested them on a chart. a 75% complete AF100 equaled EX1's sharpness. both did 800 lines resolution

800? In what mode? It does that at 1080i... 1080p is around 1000 lines and has been tested numerous times there. See Adam Wilt's trumpet for an example from an early EX1:

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/awilt/story/review_sony_pmw_ex1_1_2_3_cmos_hd_camcorder/P3/


The AF100 is no WAY as sharp as an EX1. The only thing that is are the new Canon XF3xx cameras.
 
Last edited:
He didn't say which mode he was in. But his comment of 800 lines with breakup in the 1000 line area... not sure what that means exactly. I'd be inclined to accept his review as saying the AF100 is similarly sharp to an EX1 if it weren't SO biased toward the AF100. I'll wait for an independent review. Not saying the camera isn't as sharp (though it would surprise me) but I just can't take this review seriously.
 
Back
Top