Answer From Blackmagic about Laptop Oh Well...

Arman

Member
I emailed Blackmagic about the possibiliy of developing an HDMI capture card for laptops. This was the response I got back.


Arman,

It is possible to do, but not too likely, well at least there are no plans
that I know of at this time.

We have however played around with a product by Magma
(http://www.magma.com/) called Express box and Express box Pro (
http://www.magma.com/products/pciexpress/expressbox1/index.html).

We don't officially support it, but we have tried it and it seems to work
quite nicely.

Joshua Helling
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.
www.blackmagic-design.com
 
great arman

hv20 - $ 1039
intensity - $ 245
cineform neohd - $599
expressbox $ 729
battery - $ ???
cables $ ???
mac book pro or pc equivalent - $1999

$4611

plus cables and some form of power supply to get this rig on location
what kind of battery would run the expressbox
how long can an HDMI cable be allowed to be in this situation
would the intensity pro do a similar resolution/quality increase for canon A1 through the analog output (did somebody test this already)
is there another product like the expressbox that doesn't need external power supply
 
I think the external powersupply will be unavoidable...but that expressbox looks quite promising overall. Just power it with a simple UPS and you should be able to shoot for quite a while with just that, the expressbox and a laptop.

I may go this route myself. Shoot straight to ProRes 4:2:2.
 
I am actually more interested in this for monitoring video on a hdmi/component monitor as soon as color fully supports black magic cards.
This could truly be a portable studio.
 
Back
Top