Am I the only one who's noticing?...

Yeah I noticed that but I think that's just because they are models. Jim doesn't seem the type that would design a camera that is strictly menu driven. Hopefully all the buttons and knobs are big enough to be used even with winter gloves on.
 
If you view the pictures from NAB you will see that the camera is not as small as it looks. I'd say it's a really good size. The cages are for handles and I'm sure some party (perhaps red will do more then the gun mount for the shoulder) will do a good shoulder mount.

Buttons? The camera might be controlled from a touch screen LCD.
It might be the final design or it might not. I'm sure the RED team is far ahead on this subject though.
 
I would bet there is an awful lot of discussion about buttons going on with the development of this camera. On one hand if you put all the buttons on a touch LCD you create a more reliable camera. You don't have to sit around waiting for warranty repair when a tiny switch breaks or gets sand in it. On the other hand using an LCD for everything could be inconvenient I would think sometimes. Will be interesting to see what compromises/decisions are made in the final design.

The focus and exposure assist on the LCD will be great. The Silicon Imaging and Andromeda have these AFAIK.

One thing I wondered is why not have a 1:1 button on the LCD to where you could view a portion of the frame at 1:1 pixel resolution of the LCD... there'd have to be a little draggable navigator (similar to Photoshop's navigator pallette) to scroll around the frame. This would help with critical focusing I would think.
 
I like that idea. Focus assist with this high of resolution is a must. I know they've announced that as part of the initial specs, so that will be most helpful. I remember use the LCD zoom function on the Z1 last year and something similar would be a must for this cam.
 
We have something special for focus assist, but we're not ready to reveal it yet. Should help an awful lot though.

Buttons, knobs etc. are coming. There's a dial on the back at the moment, but the rest is coming.

Graeme
 
yes and the dial really spins :)

That is not the absolute final design. Things may change, its a prototype.
 
Nik Nerburn said:
RED seems to have no buttons, no handles(without the cage), and no shoulder mount. It also looks tiny, not just for a camera, but for a 4k camera. Is this REALLY the final design?...
No, and he explicitly said it wouldn't be, repeatedly, before NAB was even underway.

They're smack dab in the middle of a development cycle and all kinds of things are bound to change/evolve/mutate in the process. I can't believe I'm still reading posts like "where's all of the footage?!" and "is this the FINAL design?!" two days into NAB.

This camera has a good nine months of production ahead of it before it even sees the light of day, and that's just a target release date - not a firm one.

So please, if you feel like offering up your opinions on a camera that's barely out of its initial development stages, at least don't be second guessing features or design elements that don't even exist yet.

Of course there will be buttons.
 
i think Nik was just joking when he said that there was no buttons.. at least I hope to he was just joking.
 
My biggest fear about this camera is that it could become self-aware and enslave mankind, please do not buy any CPUs from Cyberdine corporation.

Thank you.
 
Andreas Fern said:
If you view the pictures from NAB you will see that the camera is not as small as it looks.
I missed that part completely :( . Can you give link of pictures?

Jarred Land said:
That is not the absolute final design. Things may change, its a prototype.
It's a full fuctional prototype(4k)? Do Red guys demo it in action?
 
It's a non-functional prototype with no innards to give you an idea of how compact it could be.

I am really hoping the camera will stay small and compact - you can be so much more creative with a non-bulky camera!
 
Wasn't it this time last year that Panasonic was showing the HVX prototype that looked like a Super 8mm camera?

I guess for documentary filmmakers and wedding videographers, the looks are important, I am sure the final RED camera is going to look more like a camera than a futuristic underwater housing.
 
baquajim said:
Wasn't it this time last year that Panasonic was showing the HVX prototype that looked like a Super 8mm camera?
No, that was NAB 2004.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/panasonic-p2-flash-pro-04_18_04.htm

The final production model HVX looks very similar to the one they were showing at last year's NAB (even though it was a non-working mockup).

baquajim said:
I guess for documentary filmmakers and wedding videographers, the looks are important, I am sure the final RED camera is going to look more like a camera than a futuristic underwater housing.
I personally don't think it's going to change much from the pictures with the exception of being painted and the final touches of all the labels, etc. The "underwater housing" as you put it is an optional cage - part of their sytem of changable, removable cages that allow you to convert the camera to different form factors based on your needs. I hope that the design of the camera changes very little if at all from its current state - I think it's awesome.
 
baquajim said:
the looks are important, I am sure the final RED camera is going to look more like a camera than a futuristic underwater housing.

There are some of us that could care less what it looks like though, and more concerned with size. In a perfect world, I would get RED's camera minus the housing. Just the board and lens mount and recording system...mmm, and serial control.

However, I doubt this is going to be a purchase option. :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG) Sure would be a shame to have to gut a brand new camera though...
 
There are no buttons on it cause it doesn't need them. It's going to use mind control. I found the secret manual. On page 26 it reads . . . Operation: Videographers head must be within 12 feet and facing brain sensor on camera. Commands must be thought out with clarity, eg. Think "rack focus", then think of two subjects. the camera will toggle back and forth between these two subjects until one subject is thought of harder."
 
Back
Top