"Almost Number One" a Bob Zimmerman film

Those are the only cords I know!!! I told my son the guitar player how I wanted them played and he of course did it better. But if my first song I write is like "every other bubblegum pop song on the planet" I might have a shot as a songwriter!!! This may be the best review yet! LOL



i guess my only crit is the "song" that was "thousands of different inspirations hitting him at once" should have been something a little deeper/diverse than a few simple cord comps in 4/4 like every other bubblegum pop song on the planet. not a bad film though. cool idea.
 
Zim, this is a refreshing change in pace to the other films. It really stands out on its own. I wouldn't change a thing except perhaps add some practical sound effects (trains, trucks, etc.) to rim shot the humorous moments, not that the whole thing isn't funny. It is! Great job, man.
 
Thanks I'm really glad you like it and see the funny side to this film.

Zim, this is a refreshing change in pace to the other films. It really stands out on its own. I wouldn't change a thing except perhaps add some practical sound effects (trains, trucks, etc.) to rim shot the humorous moments, not that the whole thing isn't funny. It is! Great job, man.
 
I really liked this Zim! I got a little nervous when you said all the similarities between our films, but it's true that they are also quite different.

I liked the way you expressed all the ideas the songwriter had going through his head. Some of those images were beautiful. I think if you had edited some of this a little tighter and faster, it would have worked even better.

I liked the way you were a part of this film in a very meta-theatrical way.

One thing I wish is that you had stuck to one aspect ratio. That took me out of the film a little.

Things We've Learned From Lossfest: Forgetting a song is a sad thing.

Good work! Glad you got an entry in.
 
Thanks jason, I'm going to try and fix that aspect ratio and the make the sound louder.

I almost put a moral to the story on at the end but didn't, but it is: Write it down. Put it on tape.

I really liked this Zim! I got a little nervous when you said all the similarities between our films, but it's true that they are also quite different.

I liked the way you expressed all the ideas the songwriter had going through his head. Some of those images were beautiful. I think if you had edited some of this a little tighter and faster, it would have worked even better.

I liked the way you were a part of this film in a very meta-theatrical way.

One thing I wish is that you had stuck to one aspect ratio. That took me out of the film a little.

Things We've Learned From Lossfest: Forgetting a song is a sad thing.

Good work! Glad you got an entry in.
 
Thanks again. I'm glad that it was good enough to enjoy and be watched second time, that really means a lot to me and how my filmmaking is coming along.

Just watched it again, Zim. And enjoyed it just as much the second time. :thumbsup:
 
Favorite thing about the film: I like the kind of loss you chose and how you broke away from traditional narrative style filmmaking.

What would have made me like the film more: This is a tiny thing, but at the end on the shot of the guitarist trying to play the song, I can see an American Eagle logo, and this doesn't seem like the kind of thing the guy described would be wearing.

Favorite shot: I liked the whole montage of things that the songwriter sees.

Cool film. Good work.
 
Thanks Drew,,,,You know I just noticed that Logo the other day,,,,I never even caught that one.
 
I agree with Chris M. that this film had a very comfortable feel to it. It was an interesting juxtaposition of images. I liked the shots of the narrator in the editor, that was a pretty unique idea. I did think that we returned to the guitar shot a little too frequently, and maybe if there had been some more angles on the guitar it might have been a little more interesting.

But it's an interesting film; one of the things I enjoy about these fests is that you get to watch so many unique ideas and points of view from filmmakers, stuff I never would have thought of done in really storytelling ways, and this movie stands out in that way.

Thanks very much, I enjoyed watching it very much.
 
Thanks John,,,,I agree with you about this fest too. So many different films that come out of one theme. I have trouble thinking of one idea!!

This was really a spur of the moment idea I had after I pulled my other film. But it all came together in the short time I had left and the response has been really good. Thanks again.
 
somewhat dry but funny......didnt we all lose some great song someday ?

has a nice sort of homemade feel to it and the dryness still makes me smile, of all the humurous entries this one is one of the better ones!!
:thumbup:
 
Thanks Timbook2. I really didn't want to make a sad story and as sad as forgetting the best song you ever wrote is I did want it to have a funny side to the film. Thanks again.
 
nice film. real original look to it and liked the montage. some cool shots in there of things. had a silly flashback to naked gun when frank sees a pair of those cement mounds you show and he says , " everything i see reminds me of her..." , forgive my ramblings and cinematic tourettes... anyway, i liked your film.
 
It's LATE, but I made a commitment to watch, rate, and comment on all the films before nights end. At this point, I've only got time to watch & rate, so I'm simply letting you know I've done so for yours.

If you'd like a specific review of your film, please just PM me to catch my attention, and I'd be glad to come back here & post a review. :)
 
Back
Top