AF100 and manual lenses

robertrogoz

Carbonite Member
Is it going to be possible to use "focus assist" and zebra with full manual lenses?
Also is there going to be enough resolution on LCD to see any dust on the sensor?
How accessible is the sensor for cleaning?
 
Is it going to be possible to use "focus assist" and zebra with full manual lenses?
Yes, of course. Did a ton of that today with my Zeiss ZF 50mm and 100mm lenses.

Also is there going to be enough resolution on LCD to see any dust on the sensor?
No, but dust won't get on the sensor anyway as it's always covered by a filter.

How accessible is the sensor for cleaning?
It's not. it's always behind the filter wheel.
 
Rephrase:

Also, is there going to be enough resolution on the LCD to see any dust on the filter? :beer:

I hope you are enjoying Japan, Barry, and can't wait to hear your comments when you have more time (and the legal ability) to speak freely.
 
Also, is there going to be enough resolution on the LCD to see any dust on the filter? :beer:
Well, I don't know how to answer that. Should I sprinkle dust on the filters, and then see if it shows up on the LCD? Other than that -- how will we know? I guess all I can say is that it has vastly more sharpness than the LCD on an HPX500, and the HPX500 has the same situation of interchangeable lenses and a sensor that sits behind an optical filter wheel...

I hope you are enjoying Japan, Barry, and can't wait to hear your comments when you have more time (and the legal ability) to speak freely.
Japan is, largely, awesome. The people are just amazing and completely endearing. Everything about the place is just first-rate awesome, if you like the cuisine. That part's a bit of a challenge for me. :)
 
Sweet man- I'll be there next week! Can you leave a few cameras at the factory for me to play with? :)
 
Well, I don't know how to answer that. Should I sprinkle dust on the filters, and then see if it shows up on the LCD? Other than that -- how will we know? I guess all I can say is that it has vastly more sharpness than the LCD on an HPX500, and the HPX500 has the same situation of interchangeable lenses and a sensor that sits behind an optical filter wheel...
Actually please do. And while you are at it place the camera into some humid place, then place it in a fridge at 30F and see how it woks. And I am 100% serious.
 
Actually please do. And while you are at it place the camera into some humid place, then place it in a fridge at 30F and see how it woks. And I am 100% serious.

Hope you're not really serious about the wok. Don't you think that's a bit extreme?
 
Hope you're not really serious about the wok. Don't you think that's a bit extreme?
Not a bit, these are the environments I shoot a bunch. I had HPX170 freeze on me in August 09 on Mt Rainier. As far as cold and humidity not all cameras are equal.
 
I don't think the 170's are as tough as the HVX 200's. I have been in some amazing **** storms with 200's and they always worked ...
 
Nice! How are the ZFs on the Af-100? I'm looking to get those with the Dulcos mod.
Duclos.

I think the ZFs are exquisite to use. My original plan was to get them and then modify them by Duclos. I found a killer deal on the CPs so I went with those instead of modding the ZFs. But for a medium-budget option, a set of ZFs with the Duclos mod seems to be the best option. However, you'd probably want a follow focus with a reversing gear, to get past the reverse focusing of the Nikon-style focus.

Actually, I wonder if the Birger mount would make the ZEs a more reasonable alternative? Because you wouldn't need to get the aperture ring de-clicked... maybe it'd be less expensive, I don't know.

Or, actually, since Zeiss is making the Compact Primes in native m43 mount, maybe they'll offer the ZF/ZE series in native m43?

The ZFs are really very sharp with great color and contrast, I like them a lot, but the wider ones aren't that fast (2.8 for the 21 and 25mm, 3.5 for the 18mm). And they have some noticeable CA when wide open, so I normally like to stop them down at least half a stop. But as far as cine-style focus, the ZFs are the closest SLR lenses out there, thatI know of.
 
With regarding to breathing or long throw focus?

When I visited Dulcos last week I played with their $3500 modified Tokina 11-16mm and noticed one of the things their mod didn't change was the focal throw; that is, it was still slr short.

My thinking when using slr glass is to use a follow focus where one can use bigger high gears to acieve more of a cine fine focus.
 
Back
Top