Academy Awards Best Picture - Know These New Rules Before You Start Production

"Proven scientifically"? Can you show me these current racist policies please? Let's fight them together. But didn't you earlier qualify a similar claim and say that you can not prove it's happening in the Film industry? In light of these new policies, of course it's favorable to be anything other than white straight male. This highly competitive market is oversaturated with highly competitive straight white guys as your stats point out, and now there's an actual quota to hire anything but. Do you disagree? Anecdotally my black production friends are absolutely killing it out here and I'm happy for them. But I'm not happy when overtly racist quotas appear and everyone seems to just go along with it. Last year, after a producer told me I was "on the team" only to be told two weeks later, "sorry, we've changed our minds and we're going with an all female crew on this project. Can you recommend a good female gaffer and dp?" 72hrs before call time. Which is a great life lesson on why you should always charge for prepro. I shot 4 commercial projects last year and one this year as a "tech" (in practice the DP) because the all female camera crew wasn't experienced enough to competently operate the camera or the lights in the scene. But whatever, my rate was paid and I got rentals so I'm happy to be on set. That said, being the only straight white dude on those sets, I got to hear some very interesting things.

I showed you studies where identical resumes for candidates of different races faced different rates of interviews and hiring. White people got hired more even though the hypothetical black candidate was equally qualified. The same goes for lending. The same goes for house value appraisal. I doubt these studies have been conducted for the film industry because the sample sizes would not be big enough and most film industry hiring is through recommendations and word of mouth.

There are black individuals who benefit from DEI policies and can quickly rise through the ranks as a result. And that's kind of the purpose. After more black folks are embedded in the power structure, you won't need DEI policies anymore. Most of the individuals who succeed in those structures, at least from what I've seen in the corporate world, are the type of people who would be headed to the c-suite anyway if they were white. They're competent, conformist, and know how to play the game.

I have no idea why someone would want to put together an all-female crew. I don't see why white men should be a smaller proportion of the crew than they are of the general hiring pool.

They also shouldn't be firing you on such short notice without a kill fee and not paying you for prepro. These seem like the kinds of thongs that unions could be useful for.

In a perfect world, i would rather see race/gender-blind hiring. I don't think that's feasible with the way film crews get assembled.

I think that class-based hiring benefits would probably be preferable to race- and gender-based systems. If you're rich, you probably don't need the leg up. Poor whites face many of the same problems and disadvantages as other marginalized communities. And the whole point of anti-racist policies is that the class standing of black people has suffered due to unfair policies and bias. So, if they're disproportionately poor then they would be disproportionately helped by a class-based policy. And if the policy works to boost their standing over time, it will benefit their group less and less and fade away on its own. But I think a class-based system is also difficult to implement and that the politics are challenging because we've been brainwashed into thinking that we're all middle class.

Uh did you already forget what you wrote...? If not then why suggest the US population as a metric for your argument? You suggested whites are "over-represented 2-3x on film sets in relation to the population".

I'm not saying that white men should only be 29% of film crews. I'm saying that this particular quota, which I support, would allow them to be over-represented on set by 200-300% of their ratio in the general population. Ergo, white men still have a damn good shot of getting hired.

And yet you do not support affirmative action in the, equally & more homogeneous sports examples mentioned earlier? Or other industries where one group seems to excel or populate the majority over another? You've still yet to provide any evidence this problem currently exists in film, other than the fact that white dudes are excelling. And instead of providing evidence of bad policies, you then turn around support bad racist hiring practices... to fight racism? Sounds like a contradiction to me.

This is grade school logic, brother. In sports, your skill level is indisputably demonstrable and quantifiable. What's your batting average? Nobody can argue with that. That's why sports is more of a true meritocracy. But skill level in other industries is much more subjective.

Furthermore, black people are not the majority in this country and don't have a history of exploiting and disenfranchising white people. And white people are still embedded in the power structures of sports as the owners, coaches, quarterbacks. If there were bias against non-black people in basketball, we would expect to see talented players of other races in high school and college be passed over by professional teams.

There are so many good african-american basketball players because so many of them play basketball, as opposed to soccer or swimming. I generally expect the composition of a profession to reflect the composition of its entry pool. Show me where white people are being shut out and I'll support their inclusion. This is simply not true in the film industry because they are being hired at rates disproportionate to their participation.

Hah race-based, not racist? Man, I gotta get that printed on a t-shirt or something. You uh, you sure that's not the same **** in a different toilet? But hey, maybe you and doug bee are right. Maybe we should just sit down and shut up, because maaaaybe this time, this new "race based"(totally NOT racist) quota is finally going to solve racism...

Let's say that the government issued reparations checks of $10k to every black American to compensate them for the loss of income they suffered from redlining, Jim crow, and slavery. Do you think that would be racist because they didn't give checks to white people too? It's race-based but the whole point is to counteract prior racist policy (formal or informal). That's what these quotas aim to accomplish. They're not a permanent requirement. After the composition of the industry changes, they will go away.

Most of the crews I've been on have been majority straight white guys, far more represented than they are in film schools. I've seen people be dismissive and disrespectful to women and minorities. I've overheard a lot of sexist language and jokes in front of women that was intended to make them uncomfortable. I've heard many people, including you, imply that white men are superior at filmmaking.

My wife is mixed-race. She gets treated completely differently by police than i do. She was accused of plagiarism in school and of being a troublemaker even though she was a better student than I was and better behaved. (My best friend in middle school was black and when we would misbehave together, he would get sent to the principal and I would be left in class.)

If you think black people in this country have the same opportunities as white people, you are delusional. You belong to the most privileged group in this society and frankly, I think you're a whiner. I'm not going to bother explaining any more basic facts about our society that we all know are true.

And crime in the US is divided by a zip code.

Jacksonville, which has a Republican mayor, has somewhat higher violent crime and substantially higher property crime than NYC.

https://www.bestplaces.net/compare-cities/new_york_ny/jacksonville_fl/crime

Somewhere earlier you said Americans need to own guns for self-protection. (That's not what the 2nd amendment says. It says we should own guns so we can defend the country and won't need to maintain a standing army. But anyway...)

I don't own a gun. I've never even held a real gun. None of my friends or associates owns a gun. If i ever have an issue, I'll just call the police. I've always lived in well-policed areas whether they were poor, rich, or middle-income. We have a great police force supported by our tax dollars. I lived in the South Bronx by Yankee Stadium for 4 years and never had an incident. And my wife and I would walk around intoxicated in the dead of night. (Stupid kids.) Never had a problem.

It was a factor for me. It wasn't the only factor but escaping the city jungle of squealing tires, boom cars, domestic screams and yells, gunshots, drug abuse, trash, panhandlers, homeless tents; I accept the rich NIMBY criticism and owe it to the wokies for hastening my exit.

Sounds like you're conflating wokeism with urbanism. Also, I've lived in bad neighborhoods and didn't have a life experience as you describe.

There is a correlation between homelessness and housing costs. If there were less NIMBYism, there woild be less homelessness.

I can't speak for elsewhere. Crime in NYC has risen since the pandemic (as it has in the whole country) but it's still lower than it was 10 years ago and before, which is the last time we had a Republican mayor. Wokeism has not caused crime to rise in NYC.

The fun thing about this is no matter what you say to each other, neither one will give in or change their mind.

Sounds like you're conflating wokeism with urbanism.
Yes, I misused the term.

There is a correlation between homelessness and housing costs.

There is a correlation between joblessness among able bodied people who choose to live on the street and inject drugs. Don't believe me? Come to Denver, I'll show it to you. I served meals to the hungry and homeless for the Denver Rescue Mission.

If there were less NIMBYism, there woild be less homelessness.

You can do better than that.

The reason I brought this topic up is that it reminded me of another one of these sorts of things that a company I worked for was involved in. These sorts of sticky points come up for companies and it is entertaining to see how they handle them. Let's face it. Stuff like this is about money.

So this $mega-billion company needed to look like they were doing their part in regards to this sort of thing. How did they deal with it? Well, they bought billions of dollars of stuff from us. So we worked out a deal where we manufactured our product, but left a few screws out (a bit of an exaggeration, but not much). Then we shipped the equipment to a shell company who had a woman as the CEO. They did some simple assembly work (yes, screwing things together) and then the $mega-billion company bought the products from her company.

Now they could honestly say they were buying billions of dollars of stuff from women-run companies. It satisfied the lemmings; stockholders and the public in this case. See? No one asked questions; "What company are you buying from? What do they make? Oh? They just put a few screws in?" Nope. No one asked.

This seems to be similar. "Oh, they all met the Best Picture requirements. Oh, those companies are so wonderful. I feel better about this whole awards thing now. Now I feel I can wear a $1.8 million necklace with integrity at the show and be seen on-camera and feel ok about myself......... Honey, tell Juanita to break out the jewelry polish pronto!"

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/style/jewelry-and-watches/g43251892/best-jewelry-oscars-2023/

Last edited:
I doubt these studies have been conducted for the film industry because the sample sizes would not be big enough and most film industry hiring is through recommendations and word of mouth.
Gotcha so you don't have any studies that prove this is happening in filmmaking. Not to say that it isn't, but you can't prove that it is. So moving forward, if we are going to get behind an incentive to reduce 30% in straight white guys on set, don't you think we should have some conclusive data to prove that, 1. racism is the culprit here 2. that this is a good idea that will actually solve the problem?

There are black individuals who benefit from DEI policies and can quickly rise through the ranks as a result. And that's kind of the purpose. After more black folks are embedded in the power structure, you won't need DEI policies anymore. Most of the individuals who succeed in those structures, at least from what I've seen in the corporate world, are the type of people who would be headed to the c-suite anyway if they were white. They're competent, conformist, and know how to play the game.
Well that opens another can of worms doesn't it? When should you stop helping one group at the expense of the other? What's the goal post? Would it be after the statistical numbers match the population perhaps?

I have no idea why someone would want to put together an all-female crew. I don't see why white men should be a smaller proportion of the crew than they are of the general hiring pool.
Say what now? Ok I'm sorry dude but I gotta call your bluff here, you've really never heard of this kind of thing? #timesup #thefutureisfemale ect ect... not ringing any bells? This stuff celebrated broadcast on every social media platform, on the streets of LA and DEI meetings everywhere. In my corporate work, I've shot several meetings so I've recorded it all while folks look straight to camera and repeatedly say all of the things I've listed. There are entire we-work buildings that are women only in LA, NY and other major cities, which is totally fine and none of my business but, my guy, this is super common. Women only filmmaker film festivals ect. I find it hard to believe you never heard of any of this.

They also shouldn't be firing you on such short notice without a kill fee and not paying you for prepro. These seem like the kinds of thongs that unions could be useful for.
100% but kill fees only happen if the job moves within 48hrs of call time. But good luck trying to get that fee if they say, "ef you or sorry we can't afford it", which is the same thing and often the case.

In a perfect world, i would rather see race/gender-blind hiring.
Hey look at that, something you agree with the "whiner" on. But spreading racist suffering doesn't solve the problem.

I'm not saying that white men should only be 29% of film crews. I'm saying that this particular quota, which I support, would allow them to be over-represented on set by 200-300% of their ratio in the general population. Ergo, white men still have a damn good shot of getting hired.
I disagree when that math doesn't add up as a much higher % of the qualified applicants are white dudes. Which is totally feasible and seems to be the case, wouldn't you agree?

This is grade school logic, brother. In sports, your skill level is indisputably demonstrable and quantifiable. What's your batting average? Nobody can argue with that. That's why sports is more of a true meritocracy. But skill level in other industries is much more subjective.
I disagree, there's much less grey area than you are making it seem. For example, i don't actually know what batting average is, but I do know the difference between union/nonunion, or a DP who's run a certain crew size or has made a feature vs one who has not ect ect. There are a ton of quantifiable metrics to measure a department head in filmmaking.

And white people are still embedded in the power structures of sports as the owners, coaches, quarterbacks. If there were bias against non-black people in basketball, we would expect to see talented players of other races in high school and college be passed over by professional teams.
Wait hold on, why do you assume racism? By your definition, wouldn't a coach's, owner's, or quarterback's winning record be considered a very definitive example of meritocracy?

There are so many good african-american basketball players because so many of them play basketball, as opposed to soccer or swimming. I generally expect the composition of a profession to reflect the composition of its entry pool. Show me where white people are being shut out and I'll support their inclusion. This is simply not true in the film industry because they are being hired at rates disproportionate to their participation.
You say it's "simply not true in the film industry" but you've admitted that you do not have any data to back up your claim.

Let's say that the government issued reparations checks of $10k to every black American to compensate them for the loss of income they suffered from redlining, Jim crow, and slavery. Do you think that would be racist because they didn't give checks to white people too? It's race-based but the whole point is to counteract prior racist policy (formal or informal). That's what these quotas aim to accomplish. They're not a permanent requirement. After the composition of the industry changes, they will go away.
Yes I could definitely see this being racist in application if these checks were given only based on the color of a person's skin when the recipients weren't actual victims of those awful racist harmful practices. Does that sound reasonable and fair?

I've heard many people, including you, imply that white men are superior at filmmaking.
Oh I never claimed the superiority of white people in anything. With the sports example however, I definitely did point out that your assumption that racism is the way a people group may have achieved success is fundamentally flawed. You can strawman my position to an extreme but the truth is, there are a litany of dishonest terrible low down ways people get a head that have nothing to do with racism. And a handful of honest ways as well but you're obviously not gonna admit any of those.

You belong to the most privileged group in this society and frankly, I think you're a whiner. I'm not going to bother explaining any more basic facts about our society that we all know are true.
Haha fair enough and I'll wear the whiner badge, but we still disagree on something else here. You see, I think I'm an individual and not just a mindless part of a people group. This is a basic fact about society that we all know is true, but that you seem to ignore in some of your replies. More than happy to whine about it on my days off bored at the laundromat though.

You can do better than that.

"There is a clear link between increasing rents, displacement, and homelessness. In New York City, a 5% rent increase has been associated with an additional 3,000 residents becoming homeless."

http://www.centernyc.org/housingandhomelessness#:~:text=There is a cl ear%20link,additional%203%2C000%20residents%20beco ming%20homeless.

How NIMBYism is responsible for the housing crisis

Proponents of NIMBYism then lobby to weaponize the state against anyone who wishes to build in their neighborhood. This is achieved through the development and enforcement of stringent zoning laws and restrictions on planning permission, which inevitably leads to a significant shortage of supply in the housing market.

Sometimes, the causes of problems are extremely complex, but in the case of the housing crisis, it really just boils down to basic economics: when there is a shortage of supply, prices will go up, but an increase in supply will start to bring prices back down.

https://www.learnliberty.org/blog/nimbyism-affordable-housing/

These are both common sense connections.

I don't own a gun. I've never even held a real gun. None of my friends or associates owns a gun

I shot at AK-47 on a military proving ground in 9th grade. Without the ear muffs. Single rounds. Them wuz flippin' loud too. Later, we also shot tracer shells, which were super cool.

Oh and I never said that an American should own a gun.

PS. Jacksonville is not a zip code.

"There is a clear link between increasing rents, displacement, and homelessness. In New York City, a 5% rent increase has been associated with an additional 3,000 residents becoming homeless."

Being displaced because you can't afford area rents or qualify for mortgages is not homeless in the sense of the problem I see in Denver, street people with nothing, camping in tents. A percentage are the antifa, some the vagrants from affluent families who choose the life when the weather permits, others the hopeless, the forlorn, the drug addicts waiting to die. Frequently violent, mentally unstable, hurling expletives. I served these people at the Denver Rescue Mission. It's clear to me you don't understand this problem in NYC. SF does very much have this problem, as well Seattle. These are the true homeless, not the people displaced by rents and gentrification.

And the PGA has just announced that it will merge with the Saudis based LIV tour.

LIV signed a bunch of top players for super huge money (above 25M/Y in guaranteed, and $50M/Y+ to the mwga names like Phil Nickolson). The PGA stooges have been saying mean things - you are all criminals! - about the Saudis and their gazillions but have changed their mind.

PS. A side note : the global oil business, which is the main source of revenues for the OPEC nations has a few years left at best. The electric plugged in vehicles are getting into the 20% market share in Europe and China. Once much more affordable (and void of the semi-precious lithium (the new batteries will be made of a much cheaper sulfur or with a multiple source sulfur and a very small percentage of lithium) batteries go into production in a few months, the EV's market share should go above the 50% range and demand for oil will disappear.

lol, my god, has there been any recently bigger slap in the face of a reminder of how important money is in this world with this merger.

what a demon, cash is

PS. A side note : the global oil business, which is the main source of revenues for the OPEC nations has a few years left at best. The electric plugged in vehicles are getting into the 20% market share in Europe and China. Once much more affordable (and void of the semi-precious lithium (the new batteries will be made of a much cheaper sulfur or with a multiple source sulfur and a very small percentage of lithium) batteries go into production in a few months, the EV's market share should go above the 50% range and demand for oil will disappear.

From your mouth to God's ear

And the PGA has just announced that it will merge with the Saudis based LIV tour.

LIV signed a bunch of top players for super huge money (above 25M/Y in guaranteed, and $50M/Y+ to the mwga names like Phil Nickolson). The PGA stooges have been saying mean things - you are all criminals! - about the Saudis and their gazillions but have changed their mind.

I saw that this morning. It's amazing how fast your principles and philosophy can change for a couple billion dollars.

lol, my god, has there been any recently bigger slap in the face of a reminder of how important money is in this world with this merger.

what a demon, cash is

Cristiano Ronaldo signed there right post the 2022 World Cup, now Benzema, maybe Modric. Messi can go there at any time and for something like $400M/Y but he'll probably ride out his sunset years at Barcelona - because he's Messi and there's no anyone else even close. If the Euros continue to keep on being tight with money regulations, more players will depart for the Saudi soccer. On top of huge wages, there is no income tax, which works for almost anyone except the Americans.

From your mouth to God's ear

CATTL is expected to began manufacturing the hybrid sodium & lithium designs in a month or two. The performance of lithium and the cost of sodium. And a far superior performance to the ICE vehicles. At lower costs to boot.

Side note- BMW's I4 is $7,000 less than M3 Competition and 3/10th of a second faster in 0-60. Once you calculate costs of quality ICE gasoline - you need superior gas - you end up at about $6 vs. $22 per 100 miles or ~ $60 vs. $220 per 1,000 (an average monthly mileage). So, an elite EV is already faster and cheaper than an elite ICE

Last edited:
80% of the EV drivers recharge their vehicles at home. No driving to a gas station required. Plug and play.

I had the plug and play idea at 4 yrs old when I filled by older brother's fuel tank from the garden hose to save him a trip to the gas station. It didn't work out well then, and home charging is not working out well now.

It takes forever. Tesla drivers have killed over supercharger spots in Denver. The infrastructure is stupid. Having different plugs and different battery styles and charging stations that don't work together is nuts. What is needed is standardization, ubiquitous refresh stations and standardized cores where instead of waiting for a charge, you drive over an open pit and a robot swaps your battery core. You drive away. The spent core goes into a recharging queue. And how will the electricity be generated to meet this demand? Solar? Wind farms? Or the continued burning of more fossil fuels? Better get going with it soon. Solar and wind farms are eyesores, as well the effect on the environment and wildlife should not be underestimated. Proprietary charging formats, already overstressed tranmission lines. Jimmy Webb wrote "Wichita Lineman" for Glenn Campbell,

"And if it snows that stretch down south
Won't ever stand the strain."

Back