A summary please

Kjetil Haugen

Active member
Can anybody sum up what we've learned from Stump's tests so far. Good news, bad news. All I can tell is that the images look great and it's alot of fun playing around with them in photoshop... Maybe someone could explain what to look for in the charts. I'm sure I'm not the only one in need of some guidance....
 
BTW! Took a good look at Redcode vs uncompressed, and I've come to the conclusion that Graeme is the MAN!!!! Redcode looks even better than uncompressed. I'm sure all the sharpening fans disagree with me here...
 
Graeme has always been the MAN. Guy's a genius programmer, and I can say that as an ex-professional programmer! His plug-ins for FCP are famous, and when I heard he was on the RED team that's when I started to take RED seriously.
 
Graeme

Graeme

Graeme needs a new title and avatar.
MAVEN.jpg
 
I started to take RED seriously when Jim Jannard described RED to me last year. I felt that having someone with his foresight, financial resources, business acumen, and cinematography/photography experience overseeing the company was a major indication that RED would be for real. I then took RED even more seriously when Jannard surrounded himself with some very brilliant achievers from various segments of the motion media industry: Ted Shilowitz, Stuart English, Graeme Nattress, and many others. If you asked Graeme or any of the other RED team members when they started to believe in RED, they would undoubtedly echo what I said above: when they heard that Jim Jannard was the founder, backer, and ringleader of RED. Jim had the good sense to surround himself with excellent minds, let them do their magic, do his RED artwork and design work, and then oversee the company and camera system development.
 
You said all Steve! The same conclusion that made my own bet in this project without anything else to add unless my belief as a matter of good sense.
 
Last edited:
Then there was the matter regarding the test charts.. What am I looking for in there. What's good/not so good (so far.. know it's under development and that things have changed already). Would really appreciate some guidance here so I can do some test in photoshop on my own. What would a chart from a regular low-end HD cam look like?
 
Then there was the matter regarding the test charts.. What am I looking for in there. What's good/not so good (so far.. know it's under development and that things have changed already). Would really appreciate some guidance here so I can do some test in photoshop on my own. What would a chart from a regular low-end HD cam look like?
__________________
Red #600

FWIW (probably very little) it might be far more revealing and interesting to wait until the first few cameras are made and the sensor is firmly fixed inside the camera and not in Frankensteins clutches which might not reveal one way or the other what the camera/sensor is capapble of producing. So far i think we are all pretty happy (reservation holders anyway) with the huge progress being made.

Jim Jannard has said himself that there are loads of work to be done yet, so lets give red some time to get on with it and get a few cameras finished. At the moment perhaps some of us are a little apprehensive if that is the right word? or perhaps a feeling of ...can this really be happening, am i really going to get a camera this good for this price. Will the red workflow really be that good.

Someone commented that because red are doing so much in such a short space of time we tend to expect so much more and ask for much more. It's a good point when you consider we are not just talking about the red sensor but the design itself, the EVF, the LCD, red drive, red flash drive. red raid, video assist etc PLUS red lenses, red rail, red cage. the various lens mounts.

I laughed at that post about the 18 yr old designing his own camera spoof. But if last year someone (other than Jim Jannard:) ) had mentioned all these things most of us would be passing it all off as impossible rubbish!

I just think it is a waiting game from now till sometime around XMAS :) when the whole euphora will erupt once again when the first camera is ready for testing. It is then we will see what the real red one can do!

Michael
 
mike the beginner said:
Someone commented that because red are doing so much in such a short space of time we tend to expect so much more and ask for much more. It's a good point when you consider we are not just talking about the red sensor but the design itself, the EVF, the LCD, red drive, red flash drive. red raid, video assist etc PLUS red lenses, red rail, red cage. the various lens mounts.Michael
WHEW! Makes me dizzy hearing it all at once.

mike the beginner said:
I laughed at that post about the 18 yr old designing his own camera spoof. But if last year someone (other than Jim Jannard:) ) had mentioned all these things most of us would be passing it all off as impossible rubbish!Michael
Last December when I announced that we were doing this project, most DID pass it off as rubbish!
 
Indeed, and it's funny to go back to the old threads, and see someone who now has a red resevertaion number in their signatures saying "Looks like a hoax."
 
Jannard said:
Last December when I announced that we were doing this project, most DID pass it off as rubbish!
The young entrepreneur already updated his hype LINK. Now speaking seriously (though I keep waiting for the FREE prototype :crybaby:) nobody can't compare yourself to any other announcement coming from anywhere. This would be THE joke.

Your past is speaking for yourself (and IMHO this is THE error of any RED naysayer even if I believe they will be each day the discriminating few, less than yesterday -- especially when the first indie features will be announced shot with the RED ONE and last but not least, winning awards and industry wide recognition). However, it's true that these days with the upcoming technology the words of Francis Ford Coppola (more than twenty years ago) can be a reality from any local Wal-Mart. When? That's the question we all would like to have an answer, or more correctly, THE billion of dollars' answer.
 
Barry_Green said:
Graeme has always been the MAN. Guy's a genius programmer, and I can say that as an ex-professional programmer! His plug-ins for FCP are famous, and when I heard he was on the RED team that's when I started to take RED seriously.

I started to take Red seriously when Mike Curtis started blogging about it. I trust his advice on everything. I had no idea who Jim was when I first heard of Red, but when I found out Graeme was on the team, I was sold.
 
Back
Top