4:4:4 upgrade price

Mwjace

Active member
Has this been shared? but it looks like the dual link upgrade will be 3,300. I'm thinking thats pretty resonable with lenses that makes the camera 22,250
 
"Dual link" is already active standard. It's selectable in the menus in the current firmware for the PMW-F3. I've previously heard on this forum that the S-Log/4:4:4 upgrade will be $3,500.
 
I saw on Abel Cine Tech's blog that the upgrade was $3300. I believe $3500 is the MSRP. You would think the price is the price with a firmware upgrade. Maybe Andy Shipsides from AbelCineTech can chime in.
 
I agree with Nate. Since Sony controls the box and it has an embedded OS in it and the ability to make unique hardware IDs in the camera, Sony would not be daft enough to have this camera go out, knowing they were going to be charging a hefty upgrade fee and not have an identification scheme to prevent firmware piracy or forgery. If this camera had limited distriubtion to TV stations and film studios they MIGHT approach things differently.
 
I think when EPIC-s is released at NAB this year, Sony F-3 upgrade will be free :2vrolijk_08:
 
Is there a firmware upgrade price?

RED doesn't do that. RED doesn't do that. I think it would be incredibly silly of Sony to do that, they'll just lose a lot of credibility. And as have been mentioned:
The upgrade can probably easily be shared.
 
guys, the 4:4:4 upgrade you have to pay for is a hardware upgrade, swapping out a pcb board. this is bundled with new firmware, to allow the coprocs to correctly interact with the new board. It is not possible for any amount of hacking to accomplish this. It is not possible for any amount of hacking to accomplish anything really, in professional, high end equipment. These aren't dslrs with consumer grade firmware not fully utilizing the procs given to them, under lousy encryption, these are $14,000 pieces of equipment.
 
"Dual link" is already active standard. It's selectable in the menus in the current firmware for the PMW-F3. I've previously heard on this forum that the S-Log/4:4:4 upgrade will be $3,500.

Sorry i was meaning the 4:4:4 and s-log upgrade, didn't mean to word it poorly. I'm still thinking this is a good deal what other camera can you get body, 4:4:4 lenses, for under 25,000
 
guys, the 4:4:4 upgrade you have to pay for is a hardware upgrade, swapping out a pcb board. this is bundled with new firmware, to allow the coprocs to correctly interact with the new board... these are $14,000 pieces of equipment.

That would make sense however Sony reps have said numerous times it would be a software upgrade. When pressed about a board change or inclusion they repeated software upgrade... but you never know.

If they do go with simply a firmware upgrade, you can be almost certain that the upgrade will be tied to a unique hardware key or id already embedded in the unit.
 
Well, need I remind people -- this board firmly prohibits discussions of piracy. Any talk of "hacking" a $3,300 firmware upgrade is straight-up piracy and we're not going to be entertaining such discussions. Thanks for understanding and cooperating.
 
This will be interesting for rental houses. They will either need to have two versions of the F-3, one with Slog 444, and one without. Or if upgraded have to charge the higher rate. I'm sure they will have people arguing "can I have the lower rate, I'm only using the internal recording." And the rental house can't lock out the 444. Whose to know if they will be using a separate recorder.
 
The question of course is - is it worth the price? And if its software - then if you have some patience the price may go down, especially if competition increases with the Red Epic. Early adopters always get burned :)
 
Well, need I remind people -- this board firmly prohibits discussions of piracy. Any talk of "hacking" a $3,300 firmware upgrade is straight-up piracy and we're not going to be entertaining such discussions. Thanks for understanding and cooperating.

I respect the boards policy of not promoting hacking. However, piracy is stealing software. On the DSLRs its software the manufacturer isn't offering. On theF3 however, Sony is offering the software so it is piracy.
 
That would make sense however Sony reps have said numerous times it would be a software upgrade. When pressed about a board change or inclusion they repeated software upgrade... but you never know.

If they do go with simply a firmware upgrade, you can be almost certain that the upgrade will be tied to a unique hardware key or id already embedded in the unit.


Every single one of sonys original press announcements indicated the camera would need to be sent in for a hardware upgrade
 
Back
Top