3d

roxics

Veteran
I was reading the great article at HDforindies.com about James Cameron's NAB speech on digital 3D cinema. It got me thinking he might be right. This might be the time 3D really takes off and is more then just a gimmick. The technology is there. It would certainly give people a reason to go back to the theater.

I could see this happening slowly over the next ten years. It's already happening in small amounts.

So my questions is, RED is supposed to be a camera that will not go obsolete for a long while. So with that said will it support 3D capture?

I remember years ago seeing a prototype lens from Canon for the XL1. It was a 3D lens that contained some type of shutter inside to allow it to shoot 3D onto a single sensor. Perhaps RED will be able to pull off the same type of thinsg with a few specialty lenses? I don't exactly know how that works but I would think that if red can shoot 60fps it could pull off stereo vision at 24-30fps. 2x24fps or 2x30fps or even 2x60fps at 720p resolution.

I don't know about everyone else but I don't want to be the one to shoot a silent film when the era of the talkies is just 5-10 years away. I think we all want our films to be as future proof as our cameras.

EDIT: here is that article:
http://www.hdforindies.com/2006/04/nab-digital-cinema-summit-2006-day-two#links
 
Last edited:
When 3D = Star Trek Holodeck count me in!

There is no reason why you can't shoot 3D with Red... just as you can with an XL1, a DVX, a Panavision, whatever. It's up to the lens and/or use of two cameras.
 
Hmm, one of the 3D hurdles is "how to connect to cameras and lenses close enough together". The Red body looks rather slim, which would be *perfect* for the task. Does anybody know how wide the Red body is? The magic number would be 62mm, the typical human eye base.
 
Why did this get moved to the non RED forum? This is about RED. It's something I want Jim to see and give us some feedback on.
 
Purple said:
Hmm, one of the 3D hurdles is "how to connect to cameras and lenses close enough together". The Red body looks rather slim, which would be *perfect* for the task. Does anybody know how wide the Red body is? The magic number would be 62mm, the typical human eye base.

You could have the cameras as far apart as you like, if the lenses are adjustable (via prisms or suchlike).
 
Surf, yes it would. Film like it made up of a lot of variables.

As far as I see it RED has two options.
They can develop some kind of special lens like the canon 3D lesn developed but never sold for the XL1

canongl250.jpg


or they can make the base RED One a thin enough camera that you can mount two of them together side by side, using a special red cage for 3D work. Possibly include a cable link that will keep timecode and everything in sync between the two cameras.
 
Back
Top