1DC: 1DC potential new user

Hey there,
what a great time to buy 1DC's... 5K is really a steal ! I have been shooting BMCC for quite a few years now, and while all has been great, I am now looking for a more straightforward run and gun machine (Im tired of the baseplate and batteries, rod, long lens support etc) I mainly shoot wildlife and landscapes and the 1DC seems perfect especially at this price point.
I have some questions regarding battery life, I cant find anywhere how long the Canon run in video mode with the LPE4 ? Some say 3 batteries are enough for a day of shooting, but I'd like to know the run time on single battery please ?
Also, depsite extensive web research, I am not able to find a single downloadable 1DC raw clip to for me to test color grading. I wanna see how well it holds up against the BMCC, despite its lower latitude and 8 bits...
Well, if anyone here would be kind enough to point me out a downloadable link somewhere, that'be so Great !
 
Last edited:
For the battery question, I don't know, but as the 1D C burns through 4 Gigabytes per minute, I'll doubt you'll find a memory card big enough to outlast a single battery...

Sample Footage: AndreeOnline has put up samples years ago, but they disapeared when copy.com ceased its service. Ask him, maybe he'll upload it again.

Well, I just uploaded the smallest of the straight-from-the-camera clips from Andree. I hope he is okay with this. It is only four seconds long, but better than nothing:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqYkepw4S39epx88XYaOlVytH9o_

You can download it for the original file. Hope this helps.
 
As a long time 1DC user, I feel you on the utter lack of info out there - it's a ghost town. I have contacted Canon numerous times with mixed results... In terms of your questions - the batteries are monsters, I can't give you an exact run time as there are so many factors that determine how fast they drain, including their age, real canon versus 3rd party, if you're shooting 4K or HD, if you leave them on standby or shut them down. But I've shot many long days, usually a mix of 4K and s35 or HD, and cards are more of a problem than batteries. I have 3 real canon's and 2 random brands and I have never had to recharge - in fact it's rare I use more than 3 batteries. I have 4x 128GB cards (they MUST be 1066x or faster and only Lexar's and a few Sandisks work - third party cards do not keep up with the 4k, even if they claim the same speed.

In terms of raw footage, 1DC does not shoot raw - the 4K footage is motion jpeg and you can either dial the pisture profile to as flast as you can, or you can shoot c-log (there's enough controversy about c-log to fill another forum,) but the fact most people miss when they knock the fact that it's "only 8 bit, wanh wanh" is that you don't NEED to grade this footage. It is absolutely stunning, out of the box. Once you dial in your preferences, you don't need to save it in post, like the bmcc or many other cams. It's easy to get lost on specs, but they mean nothing if you don't get the image quality you want - so I would suggest renting it and playing because a shooter who knows how to light, compose, expose and frame, doesn't need to lean on post to create stunning images (obviouxly there are exceptions, but you get me...)

I'm working on a blog for 1DC users to share info and tricks, if you're interested, DM me and I'll send you a link. Good luck! It's one of the finest looking cameras on the market at any pricepoint.
 
For that money I'd get the 1DxII instead. 4K 60p and excellent AF in video mode sounds waaaay more interesting than cuestionable 8bit log mode.
 
Again, it comes down to image quality - I haven't seen much out of the markII but buying a cam for slow mo (in 4K even) is like deciding on an apartment because of the balcony. No cam does everything, and 8 bit, 10 bit, if the image is amazing and doesn't NEED post, then specs become irrelevant... just my opinion. I would do extensive testing between the 2 of them and see which best fits your needs, I wouldn't buy something just based on specs, but that's just me.
 
Thanks all for the feedback, its great. Special mention to Pascal and his downloadable link its awesome ;) Also evolvnyc thanks for your precisions about battery life. I have no doubt about 1DC ability to produce stunning results. Now as for the 1dx mkii dilemna, to me its not a question about canon log, but more about the clean super 35 HD. 1dx ii 1080p doesnt look great apparently, and its a deal breaker for me as well as the recording limit... Slow mo doesnt matter as i have a specialty cam for that. Autofocus on the other side... Makes my head spins :( But i know what I want, and am sure canon log on top of all that makes the 1DC more desirable to me at least.


Evolvnyc... Your declarations about the 1DC look "out of of the box" makes me wonder... No need to grade or just minor tweaks ? Do you mean with picture profiles i guess ? You can dial in precise looks thats what you mean ?
 
so sort of...

so sort of...

Thanks all for the feedback, its great. Special mention to Pascal and his downloadable link its awesome ;) Also evolvnyc thanks for your precisions about battery life. I have no doubt about 1DC ability to produce stunning results. Now as for the 1dx mkii dilemna, to me its not a question about canon log, but more about the clean super 35 HD. 1dx ii 1080p doesnt look great apparently, and its a deal breaker for me as well as the recording limit... Slow mo doesnt matter as i have a specialty cam for that. Autofocus on the other side... Makes my head spins :( But i know what I want, and am sure canon log on top of all that makes the 1DC more desirable to me at least.


Evolvnyc... Your declarations about the 1DC look "out of of the box" makes me wonder... No need to grade or just minor tweaks ? Do you mean with picture profiles i guess ? You can dial in precise looks thats what you mean ?

As in - c-log obvs needs to be graded, and there's lots of love and hate out there for this, there are also cine style options... but I find that the DR is great in picture profiles, and if you determine the best settings for you, you don't need log if you can get what you want out of the box. c-log is really only necessary in specific situations. Just try them both. see what you need more. My want on the markII is the autofucs everyone is talking a bout - i'm still not sure exactlyy what it does and how well, but would love to hear more.

I def feel Canon released such a CRAZY expensive dslr and has basically rovided very little info, feedback, user input, it's like screaming into the void. I asked them the other day "why not add c-log 3 in a formware update? This would be easy. Or why not push it to 10 bit or allow 444 out on a recorder. It's so very frustrating knowing the cam has the potential and it's just been forgotten in the corner like the red headed step child becvause the world didn't receive it and hail it as a masterpiece like they wanted, I really have a love hate with Canon, I think they do themselves a disservoce by ignoring the wants of users that are very easy to fix in the name of not getting any model too close to another to create more sales. I know they're a company, they need money, but if you kep ignoring us who keep paying them money, eventually we will go somewhere who is interested in collaborating and listening, because that helps all parties in the long run... sorry for diatribe. Anyway, 1DC blog coming next week to share stories, rigs, tips and tricks, please all DM me to be alerted to it. Thanks!
 
Back
Top