1080p YouTube video of footage I shot in Africa

  • Thread starter Thread starter G.P.
  • Start date Start date
Gorgeous.

Thank you! oh and in about an hour the prores link will be up. I'll post it on here once done


Special note: There is 1 shot that was done with a Canon 7D, its the crane shot, so you'll notice the difference in quality right away once you see it in the prores file.
 
Ok I updated the page with the quicktime prores file: http://gpcinematography.blogspot.com/2011/04/youtube-1080p-hd-teaser-video.html

Download the zip file then unzip to see. This was exported right from the FCP timeline using ProRes at medium quality (not HQ). The HQ just takes way too much time and is a much larger file. The full version of this video is 5 mins long, theres actually much better footage in the rest of the main video (the other 4 minutes not on this one), a lot of the stage scenes I wasn't happen with because their stages there had no lighting to work with. The main video will be exported using a JPEG2000 output, then that will be turned into whatever files I need for projection. I'll also export a ProRes for you guys to download, once the time comes. It will most likely be around 5gigs in size.

Thanks for the kind comments.
 
I can't believe the blog updating you've done from there. Really stunning stuff. It looks like an amazing project from a content perspective as well; I hope you can get it in theaters so we can see it on a big screen. I would love to see how this footage projects.
 
The film has distribution nation wide in Nigeria, as well as all over Africa. It will be playing in major theaters out there. Here however I don't think it will make it to theaters, maybe one or 2 art houses but for the most part its an African release. They are flying me out for the big premiere at the major theater over there, so I'll be able to see it on a 70' screen. I am working on getting a few viewings of the footage here in ny on some larger screens as well. The Sony Labs theater in nyc is one of the choices to show it. Its a nice screen there.
 
Last edited:
I was afraid of that. Distribution here sucks. I miss being in NY for that reason. The Bay Area should be better than it is at getting and viewing films like this.

I am really curious about your opinion of how the footage holds up on a 70' screen.
 
I've already seen F3 footage on the big screen, Sony had an event this winter that I was invited to which showed in an AMC theater in nyc, it held up very well, it was very pretty, and most of the footage shown was actually the 420 footage not 422.
 
Finally viewed the prores, it looks so good! Awesome job GP. That 7d shot stuck out like a sore thumb!
 
Great stuff, G.P.

I'm looking forward to watching the ProRes file once it downloads. Cheers.

... the ProRes looks very nice!

Question: Was the scene with all the kids running toward the camera (great shot!) recorded at 1080p24 w. a 1/48th shutter? Reason I ask is that the motion in that scene looks to me like maybe it was maybe a higher shutter speed ... but could just be my sleepy eyes ... ;-)
 
Last edited:
Great stuff, G.P.

I'm looking forward to watching the ProRes file once it downloads. Cheers.

... the ProRes looks very nice!

Question: Was the scene with all the kids running toward the camera (great shot!) recorded at 1080p24 w. a 1/48th shutter? Reason I ask is that the motion in that scene looks to me like maybe it was maybe a higher shutter speed ... but could just be my sleepy eyes ... ;-)

Glad you liked it, It was 1080p23.98 with 180degree shutter, no tricks all standard, could just be the playback rate of the video. Also could be some sleepy eyes haha
 
Special note: There is 1 shot that was done with a Canon 7D, its the crane shot, so you'll notice the difference in quality right away once you see it in the prores file.

I read this after watching it so I didn't know, but it was that exact shot that made me go 'oops'. :) F3 is a different league and your shots are such beauty they don't deserve less ;)
 
looks amazing, having shot in Africa myself, I'm sure this was an exhausting endeavor.

curious what you used for stabilization when going handheld?
 
thanks everyone, there were no handheld shots in the film, I used a Steadicam Pilot for a lot of the dance scenes. The F3 was just a little to heavy for it, in my opinion.
 
Back
Top