Want some more frame rates?

I can't wait to try doing this as soon as I get some P2 cards. I bought my HVX over a month ago and I'm still waiting for my name to come up on the reserve list for the 16GB's. It's like having a Porsche and no gas...

HPX500 Works too

HPX500 Works too

I've done a couple of tests with the new HPX500 at work. You cannot transfer scene files from the HVX200. Which is a bummer, because I wanted to quickly get them setup so that we could intercut the too with similar looks. What you can do though, is use the same Frame rate hack that you would on an HVX200 scene file on the HPX500 scene file. 2fps plus better neutral density should make for better day time timelapses.

On a side note, Our new HPX500 is quickly replacing our Varicam as my favorite camera. It isn't just lighter, but feels much more balanced and comfortable.

~Ian

Just to reinforce whats already been said here: the frame rate hack works quite well and seems to have no negative effect on the camera. I've been using it extensively for the past week and I have encountered no problems. I can't believe Panasonic didn't just bite the bullet, spend the extra time in development, and market the camera as 2-60fps.

Cheers,
Sean

So does a NTSC HVX shooting 50fps output this to component??

So does a NTSC HVX shooting 50fps output this to component??

question...

If I were shooting in a multi-cam setting with three HVX cameras, set with the 50fps hack, mixed into a HD switcher via component outs (such as the Panasonic HS300 switcher), recorded to a AJA IOHD at 720/50p into a macbook pro, recording sound separately in the IO.... would this work....theoretically?

I guess the main question is when set to 720/50p via the FRhack, does the component output 720/50p?

If so this would meet a need for multi-cam live events for PAL distribution!

Also I assume the NTSC when set to 720/50p over 24Pn does not record sound?

that would be correct. no sound in variable framerates. you could get around that pretty quickly with a secondary sound recorder & a clapper

You do get sound if you shoot VFR in non-native mode, the only time it isn't recorded is if you use PN.

The component output of a US camera would always be 720/60p regardless of what frame rate you set in the camera. The live output must comply with broadcast standards, and when in 720p mode the component outputs will always output 720/60p. If you're shooting at an off-speed frame rate, the frames will be "padded" or duplicated to round them out to 60fps.

What I`m doing wrong? When I set to operationtype Videocam - then the franeratehack does not work (it`s allways 25 Frame), when I set to Filmcam - the hack works, but I can`t do interval-shooting...???

(HVX200E + firmwareupdate)

the intervalometer is a feature of "video cam" mode, and variable frame-rates are a feature of "film cam" mode ... the modes change the way the camera works, so not all features work in all modes.

- Mikko.

So, it's been a year since this hack was discovered. Can anyone report on the safety of using this? Any irrepairable camera damage?

Or just messed up footage?

Or no problems at all?

What's the update, thanks all!

So, it's been a year since this hack was discovered. Can anyone report on the safety of using this? Any irrepairable camera damage?

Or just messed up footage?

Or no problems at all?

What's the update, thanks all!

I use it all the time, no problems.

No problems at all, unless you try to record 25fps on a US version (or, I think, 23 and 27 too). Then it gives me a "P2 Micon Error". But other than that, works well, no downside.

Hello,

I seem to be missing something with the FRH. I've followed the instructions carefully and everything seems to be ok, My viewfinder is showing 2fps and 350 degree shutter, however when I record, my cam is actually recording 25 fps. On playback I still see 2fps footage but it plays back in real time (image changes every 12.5 frames). In order to actually speed up the footage I'd need to suck it into Avid and perform a frame rate increase on it.

Naturally I'd been expecting it to record as if by intervalometer, i.e playback would show increased speed. Any ideas what I've done wrong?

Ta!

Back