Shelf-Life of the HVX

IRecordThings

This is has been a burning question for me lately, and I realize it may not be answerable at this time, but: how much longer could one could realistically expect the HVX200 to remain the P2 HD camera of its class? I'm not familiar with the relative market trends, so does the release of the 'A model signify that it's nearing the end, or that it still has a long way to go? Seing as the original was released in 2005, I would expect something bearing more features, or at least a slimmer build by now.

I only ask because I have been coveting this device for quite some time now, but I fear that by taking the plunge too early on this late in the game, I'll miss out on an opportunity to get the next-in-line, like something that has AVC-Intra—which seems likely if Panasonic continues in the same vein as some of the newer professional (and consumer) releases we've been hearing about for their prosumer line.

This is has been a burning question for me lately, and I realize it may not be answerable at this time, but: how much longer could one could realistically expect the HVX200 to remain the P2 HD camera of its class? I'm not familiar with the relative market trends, so does the release of the 'A model signify that it's nearing the end, or that it still has a long way to go? Seing as the original was released in 2005, I would expect something bearing more features, or at least a slimmer build by now.
Which is what the HPX170 is all about.

Digidesign has just this sort of program for trade-ins of their PCI-X Pro Tools DAW systems on newer PCI-e equivalents. Problem is, it's way cheaper - I mean *way* cheaper - to sell your old (used) system and buy a new (or lightly used) one on ebay. Panasonic, being an OEM company, would probably do more or less the same as Digi if it did so.

If a new HVX200a costs the same as the original did ($5200), my guess is that you'd probably be able to "flip" them for $1200-1700. I doubt Panasonic could match that on a trade-in.

Panasonic should have a trade–in program for owners of the HVX200 that would like to up-grade to the HVX200A.

There is a program available; it called ebay!

Sorry to come across as a smart "a", but that is kind of like expecting Chevy to give me an upgrade on my '07 Silverado because they came out with an '08 model.

Although, it would not surprise me to see Panny make updates available that are purely software-based. Like maybe the waveform and vectorscope (assuming of course that those are software enhancements).

The secondary market for the HVX200, like the DVX100/a/b before it, will likely remain robust in spite of newer models.

Also consider that the price for a US market 200 isn't significantly lower than when it was first introduced. Use the 200 for a year, make a little money with it and then sell it for 10-25% less than what you paid. It should, if you consider it a rental, pay for itself more than once over before the new models hit the street.

Then, if you're patient, you can take advantage of the P2 card / 170 / 200a bundles that will come shortly after the early adopters start to fall off.

e

Red is gonna do it with the Red One and Epic. Can't Panasonic learn a lesson or two from the americans?
I myself wouldn’t buy a used HVX200 or any digital camera for that matter. I will not dump mine on anybody either. I rather donate it or throw it in the garbage.

Last edited:
Red is gonna do it with the Red One and Epic. Can't Panasonic learn a lesson or two from the americans?
I myself wouldn’t buy a used HVX200 or any digital camera for that matter. I will not dump mine on anybody either. I rather donate it or throw it in the garbage.

Hilarious. You and that guy who beats the hell out of his DSLRs and PDAs should get together and date.

e

Ok, first I'll throw it off the roof of my building, while recording with the medium format lens adapter I got for shallow DOF, then both of them will go to the garbage. That should be a little better, more exciting at least. Oh no...maybe then i'll put them on ebay!

Last edited:
Which is what the HPX170 is all about.
Yes, but it doesn't come with a tape deck, which while it's not an absolute necessity, does expand my delivery and acquisition options. And since (as far as I know), it's not intended intended to be an HVX replacement, I'm wondering what will be.

The secondary market for the HVX200, like the DVX100/a/b before it, will likely remain robust in spite of newer models.

Also consider that the price for a US market 200 isn't significantly lower than when it was first introduced. Use the 200 for a year, make a little money with it and then sell it for 10-25% less than what you paid. It should, if you consider it a rental, pay for itself more than once over before the new models hit the street.

Then, if you're patient, you can take advantage of the P2 card / 170 / 200a bundles that will come shortly after the early adopters start to fall off.

e
Sensible advice; thanks. I think my only reservation about it though is how attached I'll get to the cam once I actually have it. :p

If the HVX 200A is better than the 200, as Panasonic claims, you will have a heck of a camera in your hands to work and make money with. I like the tape option in my 200 and have used it in many occasions. The footage you get from it, especially 16:9 is still beautiful.

Ok, first I'll throw it off the roof of my building, while recording with the medium format lens adapter I got for shallow DOF, then both of them will go to the garbage. That should be a little better, more exciting at least. Oh no...maybe then i'll put them on ebay!

John,

Sounds like you should jump off the roof of your building, make sure you have your hvx or red or whatever rolling so we can all watch...

Trust me it's not the camera it's the content :)

Panasonic should have a trade–in program for owners of the HVX200 that would like to up-grade to the HVX200A.
And Canon should have a trade-in program for owners of the XLH1 to upgrade to the XLH1S.

And Sony should have a trade-in program for owners of the EX1 to upgrade to the EX3.

And BMW should have a trade-in program for ownes of the 5-series who want to upgrade to the 7-series.

And Apple should have a trade-in program for owners of the Powerbook who want to upgrade to the Macbook. And for owners of the 4-core Mac Pro to upgrade to the 8-core Mac Pro.

Come on.

And RED should have a trade in program for owners of the Red One to upgrade to the....

oh wait....
:)

(sorry, couldn't resist)

But yeah, I have to go with Barry here - the idea of a trade in program for updated cameras is a stretch to say the least. Every manufacturer would go out of business, but not before the cameras being released suffered horribly in quality and build.

But yeah, I have to go with Barry here - the idea of a trade in program for updated cameras is a stretch to say the least. Every manufacturer would go out of business, but not before the cameras being released suffered horribly in quality and build.
I think we can all agree on that (and if not, oh well, because it's not going to happen any time soon), but back to the original question: how long would you guys say the HVX has left before it's replaced? Excluding the A model, and assuming the HPX isn't it. I don't mind the idea of purchasing and reselling, but I'd rather just pick one with a long life ahead of it and keep it.

I don't mind the idea of purchasing and reselling, but I'd rather just pick one with a long life ahead of it and keep it.

Well if you'd rather pick a camera and keep it then why does it matter how long it will be before it's replaced?

Personally I think this is probably the final HVX model we'll see, the 200a.
I seriously doubt we'll see a 200b. My guess is NAB 2009 won't have any tape based cameras announced from Panasonic.
Basically, I don't think the HVX will ever have an official 'replacement' - I think it will simply cease to be.
In many way the HPX fills that spot, as soon as there is no need for tape.

But even if it's not updated the HVX will probably be sold for years to come.
Don't forget that the DVX still sells well.

But again - if you're interested in buying a cam and keeping it for the life of it...then it shouldn't matter too much what happens outside of your own shooting scenarios, right?

I'm going to buy another camera or two this fall but I'll be keeping my hvx for a while. I'm shooting an outdoor DOC on it right now and am having really good results. I've got this little camera tweaked to the point where 99% of people couldn't tell it apart from a varicam, It's very exciting! I decided not to go with the sony EX-1 because the image breaks up so much when when the camera is moving around...

I'll be using mine for several more years and it will complement my next purchase as a great B cam.

Well if you'd rather pick a camera and keep it then why does it matter how long it will be before it's replaced?
Because there are still some things I'd like to see in a camera of this calibur that the HVX lacks, so I want to know before settling for it if there's anything right around the corner that would be a better investment at this point in time.

Personally I think this is probably the final HVX model we'll see, the 200a.
I seriously doubt we'll see a 200b. My guess is NAB 2009 won't have any tape based cameras announced from Panasonic.
Basically, I don't think the HVX will ever have an official 'replacement' - I think it will simply cease to be.
In many way the HPX fills that spot, as soon as there is no need for tape.
If that's the case, then it's merely a decision between the 200A or the 170 for me, but I guess I just anticipated a 300 model (or something similar) in the future, and was wondering how far off it'd be.

But even if it's not updated the HVX will probably be sold for years to come.
Don't forget that the DVX still sells well.
Of course; I just don't want to go with a 2005 camera if I can get a 2008 or 2009 camera with more features at a comparable price.

But again - if you're interested in buying a cam and keeping it for the life of it...then it shouldn't matter too much what happens outside of your own shooting scenarios, right?
Well, a cam yes, but not any cam. It's difficult because I have a set of features that I really want but naturally few if any cameras have all of them. So I try and stick as close to the ideal as possible.

Right now the major factor for me is compression; I naturally want as little of it as possible and to be able to get the most out of whatever I am using. MPEG-4 seems to fit that role quite nicely for the time being, so if I could get that straight out of a cam without recompressing DVC, I'd like that even better. And with Panasonic pushing AVC recently, it seems like there might be an HVX-like device (tape deck included) that would have it, so that's what I'm holding out for. But if there likely won't be one, then I'm free to consider my more immediate options.

I'll be using mine for several more years and it will complement my next purchase as a great B cam.
This is another good reason I wouldn't want to sell my HVX if I got one.

Last edited:
Back