GH5 How interested are you in a GH6 anymore?

Chris and Jordan have posted their review. I think I might get this camera just in case I need to get a slow mo shot of someone hitting my face with a snowball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5mRGBK8LpM

The last thing I'll say I'm not a fan boy. I would be critical of any camera if they didn't address a major issue. The majority of my work I use manual focus. But I will say the main reason I would use a small camera like this would be for gimbal work which I would want a great AF system. Speaking of that it's funny how all these mirrorless cameras that bragged how much smaller and lighter they were than DSLR have with each new model gotten bigger and heavier. The GH6 is now a pretty big and heavy camera for a M43.

Not sure why reviews are making such a big deal about the body size. M43 is more about the lens size than the body size. My camera bag is massive and heavy now to support FF glass. The body is the least of my concerns.

Like I said hopefully. Officially hasn't happened yet. That is the one B&H will normally have.

By the way, in one of the more stranger turn of events, the lens was the f/2.8-4 like I said and like you hoped, but B&H has a photo of the f/3.5-5.6 on it (and so does Adorama).

lol. What are the chances? It's like we had this little back-and-forth for some spiritual reason.

Some incompetent mind grabbed the wrong lens for the photo session (or maybe that's a rendering), or the kit is wrong and there is some miscommunication.

Panasonic's own website shows the f/2.8-4 on the camera.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Panasonic_Lens_Mistake.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.8 KB ID:	5686987

If one wants quality high frame rate shooting - sports, action, BiF - and already has a lot of MFT Panasonic glass, it seems a good choice that can also dabble in more creative narratives with its anamorphic features and 5.7 Pro-Res. But then one really has to be aware of the lighting or be able to shoot manually..

Overall though, this is becoming a question of timing - at what point does one make a switch to Sony or Canon? I say that if one can afford R5/C, then now is as good a time as any. The resale value of the MFT glass isn't going up. Sony has a pretty decent alternative for the landscape, real estate, portrait, wedding, corporate shooters in A7IV but its slow rolling shutter doesn't make it a standout in the areas where GH-6 ought to excel (gee, what a surprise).

APS-C also seems to be an extinct specie, currently solely an entry level model. Or a Fuji domain.

APS-C really does seem to be dead. Even if Canon makes APS-C RF bodies what would they do about lenses? Who would really buy into a APS-C RF body if the RP is already very affordable.

Thomas Smet said:
I'm frankly surprised AF has become such a critical feature and so many are willing to sacrifice so much to get it.

It's because I want to use it on a gimbal. MF is fine for everything else.

By the way, in one of the more stranger turn of events, the lens was the f/2.8-4 like I said and like you hoped, but B&H has a photo of the f/3.5-5.6 on it (and so does Adorama).

lol. What are the chances? It's like we had this little back-and-forth for some spiritual reason.

Some incompetent mind grabbed the wrong lens for the photo session (or maybe that's a rendering), or the kit is wrong and there is some miscommunication.

Panasonic's own website shows the f/2.8-4 on the camera.

weird but it does list the right lens.
Key Features
  • 25.2MP Live MOS Micro Four Thirds Sensor
  • 4K 60p 4:2:2 10-Bit Unlimited Recording
  • 5.7K 60p, 4K 120p HFR, FHD 300p VFR
  • ProRes 422 HQ, V-Log and DR Boost
  • Dual I.S. 2, 7.5-Stop 5-Axis Stabilizer
  • 100MP Handheld High-Resolution Mode
  • 3.68m-Dot OLED Electronic Viewfinder
  • 3.0" 1.84m-Dot Free Angle Touchscreen
  • CFexpress Type B & SD UHS-II Card Slots
  • Leica Vario-Elmarit 12-60mm f/2.8-4 Lens
Show Less

Yeah, and I confirmed by checking the "In the Box" section and clicking on that link over there to triple-check (first checked the title, then checked the description, and then the ITB).

Just a visual mistake, I guess.

APS-C really does seem to be dead. Even if Canon makes APS-C RF bodies what would they do about lenses? Who would really buy into a APS-C RF body if the RP is already very affordable.

An older Sony A7II is down to $1,400 but A7c at $1,800 and A7RIIIa at $2,800 are still kind of high. Usually, Sony drops down the pricing on older models after the new ones are released but that did not happen after A7RIV came out. It's likely a delay of a couple of months as newer Sony models are rumored to be trickling out. And they're all full frame - A9III, A7RV.

There is an APS-C Fuji 8K cam rumored to be out by May but, if one doesn't like pulsing on the GH series, he won't enjoy Fuji's either. Fuji models, like Nikon, are phase detection only.

it’s all about lens weight over body weight, total kit weight. M43 is night and day. I can change lenses with one hand and work all day without being tired and fit a ton of lenses in one bag.

APS-C *is* dead; it’s not light enough to have any real size/weight advantage over FF. Panny made a good call by taking the M43/FF approach, they are two distinct systems.

yes the history of cinema is super35, but outside those DPs who think in s35, it doesn’t really matter anymore.

af has become important.. with 4k 5.7k

How is one meant to actually know if you are in focus on a 3in screen while recording an image that should stand up on a 20ft screen

Yes there coud be intuitive fous 'bash' (zoom in to check P2P) methods, not that I have seen them

This has been clear to me for a decade or more that the only way to get sharps on a 4in device for a 20ft display is with an electronic aid.

It's because I want to use it on a gimbal. MF is fine for everything else.

The P4k is used on gimbals all the time. Are not gimbals typically used with very wide lenses that have a very short infinity focus? I know a lot of people using cine lenses on gimbals as well. Just wondering if there are not other ways to get around not needing AF on a gimbal.

it’s all about lens weight over body weight, total kit weight. M43 is night and day. I can change lenses with one hand and work all day without being tired and fit a ton of lenses in one bag.

APS-C *is* dead; it’s not light enough to have any real size/weight advantage over FF. Panny made a good call by taking the M43/FF approach, they are two distinct systems.

yes the history of cinema is super35, but outside those DPs who think in s35, it doesn’t really matter anymore.

Apsc will be alive and well with Gh6 users and their meta bones adapers

Hopefully, for those users, existing Metabones adapters will work with the new camera (they sometimes have to make new ones because of compatibility/fit issues).

How is one meant to actually know if you are in focus on a 3in screen while recording an image that should stand up on a 20ft screen

I’ve always shot on the included EVF/LCD while traveling and focus peaking highlights has never let me down. I turn it to be least sensitive and practice… but never had a problem. And yes the work is shown projected on very large screens in that size range.

maybe im crazy but I just trust the highlights and look for the bright green lines in the eyes / nose area, or right at a central part of an object. A couple rolls back and forth on the focus to confirm.

Was watching another review. Over all positive except when it came to the AF (no surprise). https://youtu.be/xqKTamQm-Vw?t=759
He includes real examples to illustrate where it fails. In a wedding it totally screws up a bride and groom ceremony shot. https://youtu.be/xqKTamQm-Vw?t=794 He also says in low light and contrast situations (that you would find in most night shooting or indoor things like wedding receptions, it's useless, so much so the camera automatically shuts off AFC below a certain exposure.

I give Panasonic a hard time about AF as much as anyone, but no one is moving in that shot.

I know he's using an example he has, but in situations like that you can use push AF and hold the camera still like he did. The sensor is so small that an inch or two one way or the other will not matter much from that distance. And even if it did, you could look at the screen/peaking and inch back and forth with the couple if anyone did move (they didn't though).

All-in-all, I guess it's still valid because it shows AF failing in even the most simplest situation. :crybaby:

Back