Affordable canon full frame

thefilmaddict

Which of the Canon mirrorless are affordable that can shoot full frame 4k in video mode? Preferably with internal recording that can handle some color correction -- I guess that means a decent bit rate?

Thanks! So what does the second version do that's different? Is it worth the extra money? Canon EOS R6 Mark II Mirrorless Camera

R6 has 30 minute record limit, over heats if you use 4k 60 a lot, no 3rd party lenses so you'll be spending a lot on R glass.

Maybe you should get a Sony A7IV (wink)

That thread was a really good read. It sounds like paying more is definitely the way to go. As far as lenses, I have all ef glass. Ef will work on these cameras with an adapter, right?

sony does seem to offer a lot for the money. It’s just that I worry about having to buy all new lenses. Ef won’t work on Sony, right?

EF works on both, but AF takes a little hit on a RF body and takes a big hit on a Sony body (unusable in some situations).

Here's the regular Canon adapter (they also have one with a ring and ND filters...use the style menu below the price to see the others):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ter_ef_rf.html

[P.S. I have a 35mm f/1.8 RF for sale if you decide to go for RF and would like to try at least one RF lens on it. Amazing glass, pretty much brand new.]

The drop in nd filter sounds awesome. Since it’s variable, you only need the one nd filter. Since it’s part of the adapter, you don’t have to buy a bunch of nd for all of your lenses!

I guess I’d have to stick with canon. I wouldn’t want to lose the benefits of the autofocus.

as some of you know, I have the ursa 12k as my main camera. This canon would just be a second camera to use to take stills and to use as a b cam or for when I want to shoot something fast and don’t want to put the beast (ursa) together — it’s big and heavy.

do you think I can get the ursa 12k and canon looking similar enough to cut together?

Also, I do own the canon 90d and like it as a hybrid camera. The video quality is decent, but it doesn’t hold up to hard grading. I assume that’s because of the lower bitrate. It also has its looked built in. Not much room as far as the black levels and highlight clipping.

I assume I should notice a big improvement with the r6 v2?

I also like the idea of shooting full frame. I’ll be able to get closer to my subject because the lenses will be wider and I’ll be able to get shallower depth of field, right?

I guess I’d have to stick with canon. I wouldn’t want to lose the benefits of the autofocus.

There is no difference in AF performance of the Canon or Meike version on ef lenses, of course there is always the possibility that Canon could some day release a firmware that would exclude use of 3rd party adaptors but I doubt it

I was referring to buying a Sony rather than a canon. That 3rd party adaptor sounds like a winner. Although the drop in filter version no longer seems available at b and h.

Last edited:
R6 I/II has LOG so you'll have more flexibility in post vs. your non-LOG 90D.

Will hold up better but I wouldn't expect anything crazy (like compared to your Blackmagic RAW).

And, yes, you'll get more shallow but depends on aperture too (as you know).

Great info! I've been reading about the R5 C. It seems like the real camera to get that will be a little bit more future proof (just meaning it will have a little more longevity) because it shoots 8K and it seems to have a lot of video specific tools, but it's $2000 more. I'm sure once you buy cards, the adapter, batteries, etc..., it gets really pricey (I see it has an audio add on as well for connecting mics to it). Have you guys used it? Is it that incredible? How does it compare to the R6 2? And thank you for your awesome responses.

It's better than the R6 in different video ways but the R6 has better AF (or at least in some ways depending on the settings). The R5 C is going to squeeze out a little more DR and detail and will be more robust in post (more than the R6 II), but depending on how you grade the footage the difference in quality might not be noticeable to many.

The drop in nd filter sounds awesome. Since it’s variable, you only need the one nd filter. Since it’s part of the adapter, you don’t have to buy a bunch of nd for all of your lenses!

as some of you know, I have the ursa 12k as my main camera. This canon would just be a second camera to use to take stills and to use as a b cam or for when I want to shoot something fast and don’t want to put the beast (ursa) together — it’s big and heavy.

do you think I can get the ursa 12k and canon looking similar enough to cut together?

We interrupt this program to bring you this announcement..

From your comments I feel you are missing out on some versatility with the U12K, "big and heavy, putting the beast together et. al." It's big certainly but lighter with EF glass than the F55 with PL, and the ergonomics of shooting the U12K on the shoulder are enjoyable, not bad at all. Where I enjoy it less, surprisingly is from the tripod; carrying around that excess equipment does limit me. But on the shoulder, with EF lenses and optical stabilization it goes most places, is very convenient, very effective. And there's the feature set unmatched; 12K 60 FPS BRAW, 8K 120 FPS, 4K 240 FPS. I assume you have the shoulder kit and viewfinder, have you tried some bicycle handlebars to go on the 15mm rods? Play with the center of gravity to get it ergonomically agreeable, find the balance point and you will find it more enjoyable.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming..

Def agree it's great on the shoulder (tried the 4.6K like that with the works), but 98% of his content for his YouTube channel is static in tight spaces and angles, and sometimes he's filming himself doing something.

Gotta get out more, Lol..

Once you start kitting out the mirrorless with cages, monitors, external recorders, matte boxes, you compromise the base form factor.

Great info! I've been reading about the R5 C. It seems like the real camera to get that will be a little bit more future proof (just meaning it will have a little more longevity) because it shoots 8K and it seems to have a lot of video specific tools, but it's $2000 more. I'm sure once you buy cards, the adapter, batteries, etc..., it gets really pricey (I see it has an audio add on as well for connecting mics to it). Have you guys used it? Is it that incredible? How does it compare to the R6 2? And thank you for your awesome responses.

I believe the R5C does not have IBIS, not sure if that matters to you or not, but just wanted to point that out.

Back