Tentacle E Recorder - $349

The ME-2 is a serviceable but ordinary mic. When I first emailed Tentacle about the E recorder's specs they said it included an MKE2 equivalent mic. I was doubtful then and now I know it's not true (especially since the MKE2 is $300 plus by itself)...

The ME-2 is a serviceable but ordinary mic. When I first emailed Tentacle about the E recorder's specs they said it included an MKE2 equivalent mic. I was doubtful then and now I know it's not true (especially since the MKE2 is $300 plus by itself)...

Yeah. The MKE2 is more than a Sanken COS-11. B&H lists the Sennheiser at $399. That's not a toss-in on a $350 recorder. Lol

Well, it'd be interesting to hear some reviews from serious audio folks about the recorder (and the mic). Doesn't seem like a lot out there yet.

Well, it'd be interesting to hear some reviews from serious audio folks about the recorder (and the mic). Doesn't seem like a lot out there yet.

Found this one the other month. He at least seems to be an actual working, dedicated audio-op.
https://wavreport.com/2020/11/12/review-tentacle-track-e/

Erik at NewsShooter also did a review last year:
https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/11/14/tentacle-sync-track-e-pocket-32-bit-float-audio-recorder-review/

And Matt did a Zoom F2 review that pitted the two recorders head-to-head.
https://www.newsshooter.com/2021/01/14/zoom-f2-review/

There are also numerous reviews on YouTube from the usual suspects, depending on how much stock you place in their opinions.

Thanks. I hadn't seen the head-to-head with the f2. The f2 might be a better set of recorders for me - I've never used a timecode system. I see the benefit, but it's a lot more expensive and I'd need to get a sync e for my camera to really see the benefit of spending more. I also like that the Zoom f2 is less app reliant (it's a digression, I stopped using a smartphone last year, and have enjoyed not needing one).

Thanks. I hadn't seen the head-to-head with the f2. The f2 might be a better set of recorders for me - I've never used a timecode system. I see the benefit, but it's a lot more expensive and I'd need to get a sync e for my camera to really see the benefit of spending more. I also like that the Zoom f2 is less app reliant (it's a digression, I stopped using a smartphone last year, and have enjoyed not needing one).

No that it matters but after owning three Tentacle Sync Es for two years now and several Zoom products over the years, IMHO, you get what you pay for. I would buy the Tentacle over the Zoom if I needed one of these.

Yeah I haven't used much zoom stuff before (the h6 was surprisingly pleasant on a recent shoot and subverted my expectations), but I have read that the difference in build quality is quite significant.

Yeah I haven't used much zoom stuff before (the h6 was surprisingly pleasant on a recent shoot and subverted my expectations), but I have read that the difference in build quality is quite significant.

Some of the reviews on the F2 have mentioned issues with the mic connection. Might be worth investigating... BTW Tentacle tipped me that Trew Audio has a few E recorder units available now: https://www.trewaudio.com/product/tentacle-sync-track-e/

Is there likely to be any issue using a lectro ta5f to TRS adapter cable with a lapel into the recorder?

I want a second mic to match my current (mke2-ew) lapel, someone selling one locally and has an adapter for it. Dealing with an adapter isn't particularly appealing, but the price is good.

Is there likely to be any issue using a lectro ta5f to TRS adapter cable with a lapel into the recorder?

I want a second mic to match my current (mke2-ew) lapel, someone selling one locally and has an adapter for it. Dealing with an adapter isn't particularly appealing, but the price is good.

Nope, as long as it’s wired properly. Well, besides having to deal with an adapter... I had Remote Audio build me four adapter cables(have 4 Track E’s) for my servo bias wired Sanken COS-11’s. And my Tram’s and Countryman B6’s work with them, as well.

Nope, as long as it’s wired properly. Well, besides having to deal with an adapter... I had Remote Audio build me four adapter cables(have 4 Track E’s) for my servo bias wired Sanken COS-11’s. And my Tram’s and Countryman B6’s work with them, as well.

Grand so. Think since I'm buying a unit, instead of already owning, I think I'll just aim to get TRS wired mics - the added complexity doesn't seem worth saving a few bucks, the more I think about it.

Grand so. Think since I'm buying a unit, instead of already owning, I think I'll just aim to get TRS wired mics - the added complexity doesn't seem worth saving a few bucks, the more I think about it.

Do you already own any wireless gear or plan on buying any in the future?

In my case, I own a LOT of Lectrosonics wireless, so all of my lavs are wired for my Lectro's(TA5F). Then I have adapters for them for other uses, including using them hard wired(standard XLR)(Ambient makes some great compact adapters in many connection types) and with the Track E's(I can split them simultaneously into an E and a Lectro belt pack and also run them singularly into an E).

So, I'd look at both efficiency for the primary use and flexibility, both today and in the future.

Yeah, good point re: future flexibility.

I don't own other wireless gear. I'm an occasional solo shooter, hence the track E's appealing (was using Tascam DR10s until recently) with entry level sound kit. On jobs that are serious or complicated enough to warrant better sound gear, I hire a location sound recordist - normally they have better kit than me - though the Track E's will make a nice addition as back up recorders when working with sound recordists. Generally the sound recordists I've worked with have used better (or preferred) lavs to the Sennheiser Mke2-ews I have.

Apparently, Tentacle will release a FW update for the Track E enabling audio monitoring soon. I asked Jule if it includes US versions and he replied that they're "working on it"....

Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 12.28.06 PM.png

They're working on it probably because when I needed another 3 track E's I tried purchasing from my overseas dealer where I purchased my first 3 and they said they could not ship to the US any more as well as hardly anyone overseas having them in stock. In the US there was plenty of stock. Seems tentacle sync was noticing that purchases in US were low compared to everywhere else because of US monitoring lock. Tried several other places and got the same response until I found a place where they would ship to me. They're probably cutting a deal with Zaxcom to get US sales up which will probably mean a price increase in the US.

Last edited:
They're working on it probably because when I needed another 3 track E's I tried purchasing from my overseas dealer where I purchased my first 3 and they said they could not ship to the US any more as well as hardly anyone overseas having them in stock. In the US there was plenty of stock. Seems tentacle sync was noticing that purchases in US where low compared to everywhere else. Tried several other places and got the same response until I found a place where they would ship to me. They're probably cutting a deal with Zaxcom to get US sales up which will probably mean a price increase in the US.

It's the only thing holding me back from buying one. All the similar offerings fall short in one way or another for my use cases, but at the same time without the ability to monitor the audio I won't get a track e. This exclusive patent in 2021 is like giving someone royalties for inventing the submit button on a web form

They're playing it safe because they (Tentacle) are a small company and they can't afford to be sued by the Zax guy. TBH I've had good experiences with the Tentacle E without the ability to monitor. My one bad experience was mic rubbing due to bad placement on my part.

It's the only thing holding me back from buying one. All the similar offerings fall short in one way or another for my use cases, but at the same time without the ability to monitor the audio I won't get a track e. This exclusive patent in 2021 is like giving someone royalties for inventing the submit button on a web form

If you need it I would spend the little extra and purchase overseas . It is one of the best devices I have ever bought. The app is excellent and it’s the only one of these types of recorders that supplies the necessary 5volts of plug in power for certain lavs. And if they mean that the new firmware will let you monitor wirelessly through Bluetooth to your phone it’s as near to perfection as you’ll likely get.

Last edited:
If you need it I would spend the little extra and purchase overseas . It is one of the best devices I have ever bought. The app is excellent and it’s the only one of these types of recorders that supplies 5volts of plug in power. And if they mean that you will be able to monitor wirelessly through Bluetooth to your phone it’s near to perfection as you’ll likely get.

If you know where in Vancouver or BC I can get one with a US ID let me know. Looked into it a few months back and places I found online were very strict. You had to present CA ID. I even considered reaching out to a family member who's spouse has family in Toronto to pay them to buy me a couple. I was also unclear on whether or not the app would block the monitoring ability if it recognized being used in the US. I am totally sold on the product otherwise and think it would make for a great workflow for my personal doc stuff

If you know where in Vancouver or BC I can get one with a US ID let me know. Looked into it a few months back and places I found online were very strict. You had to present CA ID. I even considered reaching out to a family member who's spouse has family in Toronto to pay them to buy me a couple. I was also unclear on whether or not the app would block the monitoring ability if it recognized being used in the US. I am totally sold on the product otherwise and think it would make for a great workflow for my personal doc stuff

Just email dealers in Canada until you hit one that will. I don't think there will be a block on monitoring because that would leave people from non US countries using their Track E's in the US very angry and is not part of the patent.

Back