Yet another 35mm adapater Question: When and when not to use?

Kholi

Section Moderator
I've read twice now that people are getting 35mm adapters to use on "specific" shots. Or that you should only use it a few times during the course of filming.

My question is: Why would you only use it during certain times?

I know that sometimes you want a different look to a certain scene, but, wouldn't using the 35mm adapter and then removing it create an inconsistent look?

Anyone want to shed light on this?
 
As far as I can see, I would only use the adapter for interior shots where I can't afford to remove the walls. When you're shooting outdoors you can create an even better looking DOF just by zooming in as far as possible and back away from the actor or whatever you intend to shoot. If your zoom doesn't zoom in to satisfaction you could always get a tele converter to multiply your zoom by, say.. 2x or so? According to me, this will give a look closer to what you see in Hollywood films. The DOF of the mini35 adapter shallower than the DOF of the 35mm film cameras they use.
 
Ahhhhh. Good point. I never thought about that. Guess that's why I'm not a cinematographer huh?

I'm still going to get a 35mm adapter for the DVX this shoot. Most of my shots are interior anyway.
 
Hmm. Very interesting--I have been getting the best DOF already? I never thought of my outside shots as shallow enough. But maybe I'm too American: "If a little is good, alot must be better!"

Indoors, though, I hear you.
 
The DOF of the mini35 adapter shallower than the DOF of the 35mm film cameras they use.

Wouldnt this be dependant on: distance to subject; lense used; f stop?
 
Is there a problem w/ footage looking consistent though? It seems that most adapters soften the image quite a bit.
 
ncje said:
Wouldnt this be dependant on: distance to subject; lense used; f stop?
Yes. Depth-of-field decreases (gets shallower) as the subject gets CLOSER to the image plane (for a dramatic example, think of the depth-of-field that a macro lens has when focusing on a close subject--it's only a few millimeters). Depth-of-field also decreases (gets shallower) as you open up your aperture to its widest (numerically, lowest) f-stop. The reason depth-of-field appears shallow when you zoom in to your subject, is because of the narrower angle of view.
 
Slimothy said:
Is there a problem w/ footage looking consistent though? It seems that most adapters soften the image quite a bit.

I'd say so. I'd hesitate to switch back and forth between using/not using an adapter.
 
I figure some people would just keep it on the whole shoot. It'd probably look wierd when people look at your movie and half of it looks like film and the other half DV.
 
ncje said:
Wouldnt this be dependant on: distance to subject; lense used; f stop?
Certainly, but they rarely use that ultra shallow depth of field you get from a mini35. Those lenses are made for still cameras.


Ill Eagle said:
I figure some people would just keep it on the whole shoot. It'd probably look wierd when people look at your movie and half of it looks like film and the other half DV.
The shallow depth of field of the mini35 does not automatically make DV look like film. There is plenty of video out there with shallow DOF that doesn't look like film, and there are plenty of films out there with a large DOF that still looks like film.
However regarding the consistancy of the shots, the mini35 will make the image look softer than the original image. But if you use it only for interior shots and shoot without it when you're shooting outdoors I don't think anyone will notice. Interior looks different than exterior anyway so.. :)
 
Yeah...you'll have to give the viewer some other --artistic/cinematic-- reason why the shots look different. :) You don't want them sitting there saying "Oh, look. He changed lenses."
 
Norbert said:
Certainly, but they rarely use that ultra shallow depth of field you get from a mini35. Those lenses are made for still cameras.


The shallow depth of field of the mini35 does not automatically make DV look like film. There is plenty of video out there with shallow DOF that doesn't look like film, and there are plenty of films out there with a large DOF that still looks like film.
However regarding the consistancy of the shots, the mini35 will make the image look softer than the original image. But if you use it only for interior shots and shoot without it when you're shooting outdoors I don't think anyone will notice. Interior looks different than exterior anyway so.. :)

Excellent post! Good points all around.
 
The last short I shot was half mini 35 half stock DVX, and you really have a hard time picking them apart.
 
no but I have heard that I really need to. I heard it is quite alot like this even though ours is a mockumentary. could you tell much of difference between what was stock and mini?

(r)yan
 
goober542 said:
no but I have heard that I really need to. I heard it is quite alot like this even though ours is a mockumentary. could you tell much of difference between what was stock and mini?

(r)yan

well, i found a huge difference between when you used the adapter and when you didnt, i liked all the footage with the adapter, ( from what i think ) it was not too difficult to identify when it was an adapter and when the camera was stock lens just zoomed in, but still i prefered the adapter, had a much more movie vibe to it.
 
Loved The Film...but, Yeah I Can Tell Which Is Which......vignetting!

Anybody Have A Tip How To Aviod This Without The Benefit Of Undercscan?
 
Back
Top