Yes, but is CANON listening?

wjm

Well-known member
Canon, DO THIS and you win:

1. EOS DSLR with 24P and 30P VIDEO (1.6x crop sensor is fine)
2. FULL manual control in video mode (ISO, APERTURE & SHUTTER)
3. 720P (and perhaps 1080P at 24FPS) with smooth down-sample algorithm.
4. Faster CMOS readout to minimize rolling shutter. (Maybe a DSP/accelerometer combo to fix effect in-camera?)
5. Better CODEC - license something with a robust color space.

Cost: $1600-$2000 for body only (and you will sell millions of new lenses to go with that.)

You can either do it now and lead the market, or do it later and suffer the consequences. It's happening whether you join in or not. I love my Canon cameras and lenses and wish to stay with you.

What do you guys think? Have I left something out? (Besides the on-board espresso maker?)
 
Last edited:
I'd like an audio in. 1/8" mini is fine. Hopefully canon will be more likely to do this since they have it for their video cameras.
 
I agree, and I'm sure we will see the competition bending over backwards to grab this new market. It's almost changed RED's business plan overnight as well..
 
Canon will try to protect it's existing Video Camera lines.

Nikon does not have that consideration and will push hard into the market.

Like I said before, look for a "D3" and "D300" style version of the D90 very very soon!
 
I secretely hope that the D3x will come with a 1080p video mode and full manual control. But I kinda doubt it.

I'll go on a 4 week vacation in April next year. Whatever is available until then I'll buy.
 
Audio - yeah, forgot that, but I'll tell you, I'd take mono audio in a heartbeat and record on an external device if they could achieve all the above.

With all the complaints about the rolling shutter on the D90, has anybody tried a nice (IS) Image Stabilizer lens? Might lessen the jello effect somewhat.

The more I think about it, and as others have mentioned, a real line has been crossed here with this Nikon offering. Something we've all wanted for MANY years is finally materializing - no turning back now... They're SOOOO close!

Exciting times!

[EDIT] The reason this is all happening is probably because 720P/1080P acquisition is about to become as antiquated as a Fisher Price PXL-2000. Something REALLY interesting must be just around the corner....
 
Last edited:
I think 1080p will be here for at least the next 5-10 years but the 2k stuff and eventually 4k stuff will be the next plateau

518px-Digital_cinema_formats.svg.png
 
I'd like an audio in. 1/8" mini is fine. Hopefully canon will be more likely to do this since they have it for their video cameras.

I've been thinking about this. The D90 does have an audio "in". If the microphone could be removed and a pigtail 1/8 jack wired into its place, we'll have our audio in jack. Let me know how that goes. ;-)
 
I've been thinking about this. The D90 does have an audio "in". If the microphone could be removed and a pigtail 1/8 jack wired into its place, we'll have our audio in jack. Let me know how that goes. ;-)

Let me know when you hack open your D90 and tutorialized that mod. It'd still be mono and I love my dual channel AT1800 too much to give that up.
 
I've been thinking about this. The D90 does have an audio "in". If the microphone could be removed and a pigtail 1/8 jack wired into its place, we'll have our audio in jack. Let me know how that goes. ;-)


If we can get a hold of a repair manual it shouldn't be that hard to open the casing and do a little rewiring.

Sounds like fun.
 
Doesn't make any sense unless you hack the firmware for better audio. Currently it records 11Khz mono! :(

The highest frequency that my Mackie Onyx mixer will adjust is 12 Khz. Up to 11 Khz is the meat of the spectrum. People can't hear above 20 Khz. I know standard CD format records up 44.1 or 48Khz for some recording puposes, and still yet some engineer types want 96Khz.

Typically I record in 24bit 44.1Khz and then convert it to the Red Book format of 16 bit 44.1 Khz (standard CD format).

I would be more concerned about what the bit rate is. Is it at least 16bit? 24 bit would be preferrable. But a good healthy signal at 16 bit can be very functional.
 
Nyquist says that a 11khz sampling rate would mean up to 5.5khz frequencies able to be reproduced...good for synchronizing but that's about it.
 
It would be nice if Canon adds video to it. A lot of Nikon users have been complaining about Nikon having "compromised" their still camera with video. I know that to us it seems hard to believe, but if Canon doesn't add "soccer mom features" to their D-SLR lineup, some Nikon users will migrate away, something Nikon is sure to notice.
 
I'd like to see someone with the D90 showing up at a wedding to shoot a video. There will probably already a photographer there and you showing up with a D90 and tell them you're the videographer. lol
 
I'd like to see someone with the D90 showing up at a wedding to shoot a video. There will probably already a photographer there and you showing up with a D90 and tell them you're the videographer. lol


problem with this is for wedding videographer...

who doesnt get call to make wedding vid cos wedding photographer offered to film ceremony and put together 10minute short of wedding with film look on their new camera that shoots film!!:shocked:
 
Back
Top