X70: AVCHD vs XAVC

guerriglia

Active member
Hi.
Is XAVC so much better than AVCHD in your opinion? I can't see all that difference after many tests.
In case I decide to shoot XAVC, can I import it straight to FCPX 10.2 or do I need a converter? I normally shoot AVCHD, convert it to ProRes with 5DtoRGB and then import these new files into FCPX. Or am I wasting my time and could just import the original AVCHD files straight into FCPX?
Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Personally I would say the XAVC is worth it -- it's not just double the bit rate, but 10 bit, which I feel gives me more depth in the image as well as more gradeability.

Sadly, though, it seems that FCP is still struggling with XAVC. Folks still seem to be pre-processing with EditReady or an equivalent. There's been a lot of discussion of FCP and the X70 on another forum.
 
Folks still seem to be pre-processing with EditReady or an equivalent.

Thanks for this. I have never used EditReady. When I did my tests, I used Catalyst Browse. But it is a pain: I had to convert from XAVC to ProRes clip by clip. That's fine when you have just a few of them, but what if you have hundreds of clips to review? It makes the workflow unbearably slow. Any suggestions?
 
The latest version of Catalyst Browse has batch convert so it is a lot less painful now - just select all the clips you want to convert. FCPx 10.2 was meant to handle XAVC but all I get is a still frame and a audio file.
 
Yes, the latest version of Catalyst Browse has batch convert, but on another forum there are several folks who maintain the batch convert still has a glitch that causes a gamma shift, especially in blacks. As I recall, it's been submitted to Sony who could reproduce it but have not yet fixed it. I'm using EditReady, but as mentioned above it's Mac only.
 
Back
Top