Wow this really does look better!

I shot some footage today just to get some test shots with the new hack but I ended up making a video out of it. I have shot at this location many times but the image is always garbage because it is full of rough textures and foliage. This time it really held up well. I shot it all with the kit lens except for one shot.

 
Ok I just watched the first 10sec and already feel compelled to comment. HOLY shi*!!!! Those two wides with all the folliage would have killed any other DSLR especially the unhacked GH1. It's stellar:love4:
 
I shot some footage today just to get some test shots with the new hack but I ended up making a video out of it. I have shot at this location many times but the image is always garbage because it is full of rough textures and foliage. This time it really held up well. I shot it all with the kit lens except for one shot.



Hey Doug, did you get any card errors? What kind of card were you using and what settings did you use?

Thanks in advance...
 
Thanks for the comments. I used a class 6 Trancend card. I only had a write error one time and that was on the second shot in the video. I was using these settings:

  • AVCHD Video Buffer = 40,000,000
  • AVCHD Video Bitrate = 40000000
  • AVCHD Overall Bitrate = 50000000
  • AVCHD Limiting Bitrate = 70000000
All shot in 1080P , Native 24p , shutter at 50

It was all shot with the kit lens except for one shot was with a Nikon 50mm. This location really does push the camera to its limits.
 
Ya that is similar to what I have been experiencing with similar settings and card. That second scene would crap out at about the 8sec mark if I were to shoot that.
 
Unfortunately the PC I've been watching it on isn't quite up to the task, so it's freeze-framed its way to about the half way mark and given up. But that gave me the opportunity to scrutinize each frozen moment for anything amiss, and really it seems picture-perfect. And superb test material. Very convincing (even to one who is a bit of a Doubting Thomas like me!)
 
Wonderful video and what a torture test. Yes, the kit lens is gorgeous when the sun is bright!

When there was only a little motion, I had to remind myself that I was looking the video and not some sharp picture stills.
 
I can't wait to get mine and get shooting! I've been told by a couple people that the kit lens is decent in adequate light... and it looked pretty good to me too. You were using it well... i.e. tripod, exposure, etc. for a perfect collage of this location.

On that subject... I expect the beauty of the images (from all of the DSLRs) encourages more classic filmmaking... with stable shots and careful composition... vs. shaky-cam. The sheer visual quality in shots like these are best without jitters and handheld movements IMO.
 
Yes, the kit lens is gorgeous when the sun is bright!

Yes, it is very awful in total darkness! But then again what serious narrative filmmaker doesn't include a nice light kit in his production? The kits lens is actually great. And is actually made for this camera, with a very good OIS and accurate auto focus. Any other lens you attach to the Gh1, no matter how expensive it is, is going to produce horrible jittery/jello effect for lack of OIS unless you put it on a very good tripod or a very good camera stabilizing rig. And sometimes not even then. And the focusing? That is a bit troublesome too!
 
I've now watched this through with smooth playback (and the sound on to reveal it's my favourite Jonsi track!) and it really is the ultimate stunner. Excellent as a test, excellent in itself.
 
Back
Top