Wireless video transmitter

These days you get alot of these 2.4Ghz wireless video transmitters, there is a big balls-up when used in the same area as a wireless network (for obvious reasons).

They are design for NTSC/PAL, so I'm not sure what will happen when you're shooting 720p or 1080?


They're so cheap it's worth trying 'em. I'll try and get hold of 'em next week.

- Derrick
 
I have a set of the transmitters in the first post. I bought them on a whim to try them out, they work supprizingly well. Great for low budget MONITORING. But of course no more than that.

- mikko
 
Hey Mikko, what else would they be used for?

Also, how do they work if you need to plug them into AC power - it kind of defeats the purpose, no?
 
Sometimes people try to send production sigals from cameras to switchers/projectors/etc using these units. And the quality & reliablitiy just isn't up to it.

I have cables made up to allow me to power mine right off the on-board power on my Steadicam.

I also have a cable to run the reciver off a spare battery, so I'm not tied to AC power at all.

- Mikko
 
Yup.

And after I plugged it into an incorectly made cable with reversed polarity and let the smoke out; now thanks to a new voltage regulator I put it, mine'll take anything between about 5v & 30v :)

I don't recall what the range was on the original unit exactly. But "about 12v" will work fine. Would probabaly work ok on 7.2v too.


Here's the setup I use:
Archer_Lemo-DC_Power_Cable_.jpg


That's just a regular 12v output port [3-pin Lemo 0B connector] on the Steadicam camera stage.

- Mikko
 
The original one on e-bay says it will do 9 to 12 volts, but they're in china and want a ton to ship it.

The other link doesn't specify what voltage it is, but it looks like 8 or 9 volts in the picture.

This one looks almost identical, is 12 volts, and is domestic: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2703736&body=MAIN

I think I'm going to snag one and try it out.



Mikko, got a question for you on flying with a monitor. I know the standard setup is to mount it down on the bottom of the sled, but doesn't that make it hard to see sometimes? Especially if you're tracking the subject or having to turn the sled a lot? I've got a marshall I'm trying to mount on my X-10 rig, but it's as heavy as a brick. I was thinking of mounting it on my vest on an arm in front of my face. Is that just crazy talk?
 
You want the monitor connected to the rig so that it moves with the camera. The monitor itself is a referance for the movement.

The most logical place is down below where it serves as counterweight for the camera.

Another benefit is that you are simultaniously looking down at the ground in front of you - where you should be looking anyway when moving.

- Mikko
 
Cool thanks for the heads up Mikko. Too bad about the smoke... Damn stuff is always trying to sneak its way out. Thanks for the link on Tiger too troutpro. I think I may have to get one of these. Sure would be nice to be wireless periodically for a directors monitor. I'm just looking for something to show the video, could care less about color, focus, or intermittent interference. Looks like this should fit the bill.
 
Hey guys,
Seen any of these video sender units that work off of 9 volt batteries? I'd like to attach one to my HVX200 so I can monitor my shooter without hovering over his shoulder all the time.

Thanks for the help.
Jim
 
I have a set of these (just like Mikko's) and run them off an 8-AA pack I made out of parts from Radio Shack (two enclosed 4-AA battery holders glued together plus a power connector). With NiMH batteries that's 9.6v, and the TX ran about 13-14 hours on a charge (with 2700 mAh batterries). So a standard 9v battery should work, I'd guess for maybe 3 hours or so. The TX/RX themselves are marked as nominal 8v btw.
 
Ted,
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I am as far from being electronically inclined as an orangutan. So, is there any chance you have instructions/diagram/parts list for your modification? Would you mind sending them to me if you do?
Jim
 
Back
Top