Wireless Touch-To-Focus challenges with 5DMK IV, Canon Connect and iPhone 7

Budgieboots

Well-known member
Hello,

I have a Canon 5D Mark IV that I have been using for 4K video production while I wait out the next cycle of cameras.
Sometimes, I use the Canon Connect app with a regular iPhone 7 to remotely monitor what is being filmed.

For this purpose, it works fairly well.

However, the wireless touch/tap to focus does not work as well. It seems to be a tad fiddly and seemingly not as accurate as using the actual LCD screen on the back of the camera. Unresponsive even.

If I were to use another Apple product with a bigger screen, such as a iPad Mini, or even the massive iPad Pro -- would that improve the accuracy of focus?
I think the resolution of the video feed coming through the Canon Connect live view on the Wifi is 320x240 -- I don't know if having that stretched out over a bigger area would offer focus improvements.

The application of this is I'm trying to use the Canon 5D Mark IV on a gimbal and have someone else remotely tapping to shift the focus to where it should be.

I use a fairly beefy lens, a Tamron 15-30 F2.8 with the Wonderpana filter adapter on it (so it can wear a 145mm screw on UV filter) to get around the 4K crop -- so it's been a challenge finding a gimbal that will support that weight. It's like a lens wearing a dinner plate.

I did try it on a Letus Helix JR -- but it seemed to be a touch too much for it.

Curious about the Nebula 5100 slant.
 
Hello,

I have a Canon 5D Mark IV that I have been using for 4K video production while I wait out the next cycle of cameras.
Sometimes, I use the Canon Connect app with a regular iPhone 7 to remotely monitor what is being filmed.

For this purpose, it works fairly well.

However, the wireless touch/tap to focus does not work as well. It seems to be a tad fiddly and seemingly not as accurate as using the actual LCD screen on the back of the camera. Unresponsive even.

If I were to use another Apple product with a bigger screen, such as a iPad Mini, or even the massive iPad Pro -- would that improve the accuracy of focus?
I think the resolution of the video feed coming through the Canon Connect live view on the Wifi is 320x240 -- I don't know if having that stretched out over a bigger area would offer focus improvements.

The application of this is I'm trying to use the Canon 5D Mark IV on a gimbal and have someone else remotely tapping to shift the focus to where it should be.

I use a fairly beefy lens, a Tamron 15-30 F2.8 with the Wonderpana filter adapter on it (so it can wear a 145mm screw on UV filter) to get around the 4K crop -- so it's been a challenge finding a gimbal that will support that weight. It's like a lens wearing a dinner plate.

I did try it on a Letus Helix JR -- but it seemed to be a touch too much for it.

Curious about the Nebula 5100 slant.

It's actually a little bit more responsive than it seems. The camera receives the signal faster than it shows on the phone, but yeah overall it's a bit of a laggy experience. An iPad will help you use the interface a lot better, because you can actually aim the focus better and more accurately.
 
i can't speak for the 5DmkIV but i do have the 1DXmkII which probably has similarities.

on the 1DxmkII i had to buy the $700 wireless attachment so it "might" be better than the built in on the 5DmkIV (can't really say) but here is my expeirence doing exactly what your doing.

i bought the newest iPod Touch specifically for use on a gimbal (original Ronin...heavy) attached to a Ready-rig.com. i attach the Touch right above my right hand and can easily use my index finger to assign where i want it to focus.

the Touch is not as fast as the camera LCD. id say at least 1 second slower (ish). it does feel more sloppy as well but i have found it to be pretty accurate just the same. another big factor is to be able to start and stop without having to go to the camera to start and stop which is really annoying with this bigger rig and always makes the end of your shot look like you are drunk.

i have a fairly new iPad and an iPad Pro (version 1) and will tell you the results are the same. i think the resolution is better than you suggest but not good enough to truly judge focus even if you pinch zoom in close. if I'm manually focusing id never use a mobile device as i just can't tell focus good enough.

i can live with the (sloppy) results but they could be better. my biggest gripe is the tedious procedure of connecting the camera to the mobile device. this is as annoying as can be. because its risky to let your camera or mobile device go to sleep i set them both so they "don't". i eat thru batteries on a shoot with my 1DxmkII that chews them up way to fast in 4k but i have a small portable charger attached for the mobile device if i have long clips.

less than perfect but good enough for gimbal where you need 2 hands to handle the rig.

by the way i have the Crane 2 and although i have to add metal weights below the camera to get dynamic balance it does work very good although there is limited movement as the camera when you aim up too much or down too much it will hit the back motor. considering this limitation its still usable for less radical perspectives i have recently ordered a longer "arm" for the Crane 2 thats attached to the camera platform which lowers the camera and is supposed to compensate for the heaviness of the bigger camera. i haven't received it yet to know if this will completely compensate for this issue.

i have an A7sII and a LX100 and will say that connecting to their mobile for anything from my experience is completely useless so although Canon is not perfect its by far the best option to take advantage of the DPAF.

david
 
Last edited:
Back
Top