Which SD 2/3" shoulder mount camera?

youngindiefilms

Well-known member
I want to add a SD 2/3" professional shoulder mount camera to my outfit and have no idea what to look out for. There are so many cameras to choose from and a lot of reasonable offers around. I can imagine one has to look at the hours of use, most likely the drum and other mechanical parts won't hold forever.

So which cameras would be reasonable to buy and are known not to break down easily even if they have quite some mileage on them?
 
If you go with a shoulder mount SD cam, you're going to need a deck to play back the tapes. Do you have a deck already? If not, have you priced the decks?

If you have a Beta deck already you could pick up a Beta cam for pretty cheap. The quality is good and you can still easily buy Beta tapes, but I think they've officially stopped making Beta decks so if yours breaks you'll have a pricey repair on your hands.

If you go with DVCPro you'll need a deck to play it back and they can be a little pricey. Plus you'll need to determine if you need an SDI board in the deck or component or firewire (the SDI and firewire boards don't typically come standard). With DVCPro, you also may end up with a camera that shoots in a format that your deck won't play back - for example, if you shoot DV50 you need a deck to play that back (some are DV25 only). The Panasonic AJ-PD900 shoots 30P and you need the AJPD950 deck to play that back. The SDX900 shoots 24p, and it may require a specific deck too. Or you may be able to find the firewire board and capture that way.

Look at your playback options first, then find a camera that fits those needs. Check the wear and tear on the camera, operation hours, the drum running hours, and threading.

We have the AJPD900 and 950 deck and bought them second hand - the deck has gone in for repair once, the camera still operates like it's brand new. The news stations in town still shoot DVCPro and their cameras have been to hell and back. All the professional, shoulder mount SD cams I've used were designed to take a beating, so if it still records a pretty picture and doesn't eat the tape you should be good to go.

Michael
 
I guess the big question is -- why would you want it? You can get an HPX300 that has the "look" of the shoulder-mounted SD camera, but costs about $7200 after rebates (including lens and two 32GB P2 cards), and does brilliant HD as well as standard-def.

So what would be the reason to go with an old SD tape-based model? Do you specifically need tape, or ?
 
There are still a lot of clients who don't need or want HD and I'd like to take advantage of a shoulder mounted 2/3" ENG camera, it is better suited for some jobs of mine than say a camera like a HVX (which I previously had but I hate the form factor).
I've seen quite some cameras around that can be had for below 4500 US$ including lens, viewfinder, battery mount etc., I have batteries already.
As much as I'd like to get a HPX300, it's too much money for me at the moment. And it's not really about the look of the camera, but I'd really like to have a 2/3" SD CCD sensor rather than a 1/3" HD CMOS.

I am eying something like a Sony DSR-400/450 or Panasonic AJ-SDX900. And it's reasonable to up-res the footage to HD, if the footage from a Canon XL2 holds up for theatrical output, why shouldn't the footage from a pro 2/3" camera hold up, right?!

If you go with a shoulder mount SD cam, you're going to need a deck to play back the tapes. Do you have a deck already? If not, have you priced the decks?

If you have a Beta deck already you could pick up a Beta cam for pretty cheap. The quality is good and you can still easily buy Beta tapes, but I think they've officially stopped making Beta decks so if yours breaks you'll have a pricey repair on your hands.

If you go with DVCPro you'll need a deck to play it back and they can be a little pricey. Plus you'll need to determine if you need an SDI board in the deck or component or firewire (the SDI and firewire boards don't typically come standard). With DVCPro, you also may end up with a camera that shoots in a format that your deck won't play back - for example, if you shoot DV50 you need a deck to play that back (some are DV25 only). The Panasonic AJ-PD900 shoots 30P and you need the AJPD950 deck to play that back. The SDX900 shoots 24p, and it may require a specific deck too. Or you may be able to find the firewire board and capture that way.

Look at your playback options first, then find a camera that fits those needs. Check the wear and tear on the camera, operation hours, the drum running hours, and threading.

We have the AJPD900 and 950 deck and bought them second hand - the deck has gone in for repair once, the camera still operates like it's brand new. The news stations in town still shoot DVCPro and their cameras have been to hell and back. All the professional, shoulder mount SD cams I've used were designed to take a beating, so if it still records a pretty picture and doesn't eat the tape you should be good to go.

Michael

I wasn't aware that you must have a deck to playback and capture the footage. So no capturing off the camera directly at all, or what was that with a firewire card? I might be able to get access to a variety of decks so I would have to check before hand what decks are available and base my camera choice on that.
 
Last edited:
Most SD cameras only have composite out for hooking to an external monitor, so I wouldn't capture from it. It's the poorest signal you can get from a camera. There are cameras with firewire outputs (the SDX900 has the option), but using the tape as a deck is putting more wear and tear on the camera.

I'd suggest saving your money until you can get the 300 or 500 if you want the ergonomics of the shoulder mount. The extra money you spend for the body and lens would be spent on the deck anyway, and you won't have the moving parts that break down in an SD cam that shoots to tape (plus the P2 cameras typically weigh less).

That said, if you go for a 2/3" SD cam, try to find the SDX900. It shoots 24p to tape and the footage it produces can be beautiful.

Michael
 
Thanks for the heads up Michael. I've seen a SDX900 camera incl. lens and battery mount for around 3000 US$, supposed to be in good working condition. I don't mind shooting on tapes, do you figure 2000 US$ is enough for a good deck, assuming my total spending limit is US$ 5000?

I don't like anything P2 very much, had a HVX... I don't really like anything proprietary. If I really go again for a card based cam I'd rather stick with XDCam EX since you can shoot cheaply on Memory Sticks... but even second hand XDCam EX cameras are more than I can spend at the moment.

Thing is I don't need the camera now, I have tools to get my jobs done. I was asking myself in general if it's reasonable to get a good SD 2/3" camera or not. Guess if I'm lucky and get a good deal such as 3000$ for a complete setup plus a deck... doesn't sound too bad in my book.
 
If you don't need it now, I'd wait, but keep your eyes open for great deals. That said, if you can find an SDX900 in good working condition for $3,000 that's a steal. It may be the deck that breaks your budget.

Try to find a deck and price it, and if it's in your budget go for it. If you have clients that don't require HD, having a 2/3" cam is nice and looks better than any DV camera.

I don't know exactly what deck is recommended for the 900, but if I get a chance to google it later I'll post what I find (it's going to be a busy week so it may take a few days). Let us know what you decide to do.

Michael
 
Good thinking. I can wait to get this camera, so I don't think I'll have big trouble to find a good deal. It's all up to the deck I guess, I'll also look into this. Thanks for your help Michael, it's highly appreciated.
I'll be away for 5 weeks anyway to shoot a film, I'll have a Sony EX1R for that project, would love to get hands on a EX3 and see how comfortable it is.
 
Last edited:
The SDX900 was THE camera when it came out, it was king of the rentals and massively popular. If going Sony, the DSR570 was huge, I think the 450 was its replacement.

I think the SDX900 has a firewire port... not 100% sure on that.

$3k for a complete SDX900 kit... that's crazy. That's 90% off. It may only be standard-def, but it's the best standard-def ever made.
 
I've seen a SDX900 around with a firewire port, the offer said it was an option. The set for 3K didn't have the firewire board, guess the board isn't that cheap.

What are your thoughts on a SPX800?
 
I know I know. But if the SPX800 comes in a bit cheaper than the SDX900 with a deck then it's worthwhile and I'll ride the P2 train again :)
 
Back
Top