Which one to buy - FS100 vs. FS700 vs. F3

Erik Wittbusch

Well-known member
HI,

having my first thread started, I hope not to repeat questions again and again...


I am a documentary filmmaker and cameraman for industrial/image films located in germany.

I never owned a serious camera. Period.

I want one (not necessarily now) and I saved some money. I mostly worked with Sony EX1/3 or Panasonic HPX500 ENG-Style Cameras. For some shots I also used the Canon 5DII with dedicated Glas.

I want a camera that suits my needs for documentary work, what means a lot of handheld stuff and a not to big camera setup. Small and easy would fit best here. But I don't want that videoish look of the Sony EX1/3 with its small dynamic range and no shallow dof at all. I hope for a camera with a filmic look in hightlight handling especially as I am often confronted with different light situations with people standing in front of windows and in cars.
But I also want to use the camera for my paid industrial work, where shallow depth of field is often not wanted and sharpness means everything. Only for interviews a nice balanced picture with something like a 70 up to 85mm prime would be nice. Most of the times there is absolutely low light conditions and no time for setting up the big lights.

First, I thought about the FS100 - prices have fallen ( I can get one used but with full warranty for 3000€ with the kit lens!). Big Sensor - no DSLR flimsyness - amazing lowlight capabilities. The kitlens will be a no brainer for my run'n gun industrial work, where a lens change means a lot of bad things will hit the sensor and shallow depth of field is not neccessary. I had my hands on it and it didn't feel bad at all. Only the hightlight handling was a bit of a drawback for me...

Then, I was thinking if I could make it without ND-Filters and the boxy design, which isn't exactly what I think fits best for documentary (direct cinema style handheld).
The FS700 is a bit better - ND-Filters, better Grip with the advanced focus button and arri style rosette, cinegammas (!!) and the slomo option, which could come in handy for the technical work, I often do. But its a bit bigger and heavier and doubles in price (at least for me it would be at 6700 Euro new incl. Kitlens).

Both seem to be good cameras, but I really search for the ultimate filmic look in a small form factor for documentaries. I don't mind the size so much, when the camera is on Tripod (Industrial/Imagefilms). I have found some problems with the harsh highlighthandling of the FS cameras. But I never relly used these cameras myself, so can't really judge on it.

I still find the C300 to expensive. It's important for the industrial work, to have 1080/50p onboard (FS100/700), which the C300 hasn't. I also find the highly recommended formfactor a bit uninspiring. The big handle has to be always on camera, because theres all the sound and the display... But the picture can nicely be controlled with C-log and all the profiles in camera. Also the 50 MBit Codec seems to be a nice one, too.

Then, the F3 was brought to me. I never relly considered this "beast", as it was always out of range for me. But with the F5, the prices are falling extremely. I can have one for the same price as the FS700! Okay, it's been a demo camera for nearly 2 years with 240 hours, but there is still full warranty.
It is a huge and heavy thing when handheld, but managable for me (I hope!). But I need definitly some sort of zoom option like the Kitzoom on the FS's. The Sony Zoom for the F3 ist clearly way to expensive for me. I thought, I use some Canon 17-55/2,8 IS or 24-105/4 IS (which I'll have to buy) and my old 80-200/2,8. I also have a 17/2,8 Tokina for Canon EF.
But there is no easy Metabones Smart Adapter for the F3. Only the big MTF with the exteriour control box for iriscontrol, which is not an option for handheld work. Or the expensive Optitek solution (1650$!), which needs power from some battery.

I think I can't go with the FS100 anymore, even it is so unexpensive.

The FS700 isn't even perfect, but seems to fit my needs best. But only for more then double the price of the FS100...
Both would come with the kitlens and the Metabones adapter. Later I'll invest in the cheap Samyang cinelens kit for "serious" work. Maybe the 17-55/2,8 IS for handheld documentary style. I won't need a rig, as I find the FS100/700 handheld pressed with the back to my chest a nice way of filming. I will also have monopod with stabilization, hanging from my neck. I don't like shoulder work that much, but I will need it nevertheless here and there.

If never anybody had told me about the F3... which has a beautiful way of highlight handling and dynamic range even recorded internally. It seems as if the 14bit internal sensor-reading makes the big difference. The picture would fit me 100%, but with all the optional things like lenses, batteries, cards and adapters for my existing lenses, it's another price class. I like the stabilized Canon-Zooms a lot for my handheld work, but they would be an expensive option on the F3.

Any help appreciated...
 
I've owned F3 / FS-100 & used all 3.

Hands down the best image quality (by far) & least "video" look - F3
If you really need 240 fps & the option for 4k - FS700
Best bang for the buck (allowing extra cash for lenses/accessories) - FS-100
 
Thanks Ryan,

240 fps would be nice of course, but far from being important.

My only concern with the F3 so far is the lack of a stabilized zoom lens on a budget.
Optitek F3 to EF adapter with either Canon 24-105/4,0 or the plasticky 17-55/2,8 would
be a 2600 extra...
 
Last edited:
To me, it really sounds like you should look at the c100 for your particular needs. It has the best form factor for handheld work and it will support those IS canon zoom lens you want. You should put your needs above brand loyalty. Hand holding a f3 with a canon lens really seems to me you are trying to fit a square pet into a round hole.

And I mean no disrespect for the Sony products. They are wonderful tools.
 
Last edited:
As an FS100 owner I think you indeed need to check the C100 - Id say its the goto budget cam right now

As for the sony kit lens - its pretty horrible to manual focus IMO - tend to not use it where possible

Or another way of looking at it

None of the cameras are quite right for you.. so buy a used FS100 and keep the extra money in the bank for your next camera?

Another way of looking at it.

None of the cameras are quite right for you.. so get an F5 which is, over time it may be cheaper (and much more satisfying to use) than riding depreciation on an upgrade path
Loans are cheap right now

Another way of looking at it.

The Fs100 is so cheap you can buy some lights or something to add other values to your shots


One thing.. The FS100 - its sort of magic, it seems to always work and somehow be responsive, the 700 certainly lags (to monitor) in slo-mo and seems to just be a bit more wooly to operate some how - for example when changing frame rate the camera goes black for a week like when you hit roll on the 5d.

I think you have enough knowledge to work it out for yourself

I have thus far had cheap cameras and a good budget for accessories, lav mics, spare batteries, cabling and the like, also nice tripod, if you dont have that lot get the FS100 and those bits.

One warning on the FS100, ND and mattebox and/or vari will cost 30% of the camera price!

S
 
Last edited:
With some frankenrigging, a 10-bit external recorder and SLOG the F3 blows the other two away for image quality (it manages to somehow creep surprisingly close to the Alexa's mojo), however even rigged in a streamlined setup, it remains an unwieldy and ergonomically awkward camera if you have to do any handheld work, though of course on sticks and support gear that's not really an issue.

The FS700 and FS100 both put out really nice images for the money with good custom profiles, and the FS700's high framerate options are pretty wonderful and unique - but again it's a question of what you really need.

I was a bit peeved at first with the F3's lack of 1080p50, but I've found that the camera's 720p50 output (when recorded in high bitrate 10-bit ProRes) upscales pretty seamlessly for 1080p output.

When the FS700 was announced I was pretty sure I'd go that way (in favour of a used F3), but that was before SLOG became standard on the F3 - with SLOG switched on, the F3 enters a whole different ballpark in terms of image quality, it's got a level of mojo that (with the use of 10-bit recorders) is going to keep it a relevant and usable camera for a long time to come... albeit an awkward one to handhold.

The biggest advantage the F3 is going to have over the FS700/FS100 for documentary/run-and-gun shooting is a good 2 stops of dynamic range. The extra DR gives you a level of leeway with your lighting and exposure that the 11.5-odd stops of the FS cameras won't. Which could in turn allow you to work faster with it.

That said, if I were only shooting documentary-style work, I'd probably opt for the C300 over the F3, ergonomically it's just much better suited to that style of work, and by not needing an external recorder - it remains a much lighter and small camera package to wield - you just have to protect your highlights more than you do with the F3.
 
Thank you for your opinion.

I didn't get my hands on a C100 so far - only C300. But the C100 has an really awkward position of the display and a rather unusable finder. It lacks any form of 50p which means no money from my clients for the camera.

I also don't think, that the kitlens is that bad. I gave it try for 30 minutes and was comfortable using the great "active" stabilizer mode, which gave my handheld shots a fluid effect. Okay its not for that DSLRish extra shallow depth of field look, but its cheap and light. I used that fly-by-wire focus rings already on some Sony foto cameras so I am used to it. It's far from being perfect for video but I was able to hold things in focus thanks to the deeper depth of field with that lens. Together with peaking and expanded focus (which can be activated on the grip on the FS700).

All in all FS100 or C100 seem to be the most reasonable cameras.

What makes me a bit problematic is my cineastic approach for handheld docu work. I think it is possible and have to be possible without lightning and big rigs or steadycam. The perfect camera for that has the ability to take a huge dynamic range without being unholdable. A stabilized zoom would come in handy too.

I can't really judge over the different way of handling with the highlights with all these cameras as you never know what kind of profile and grading in post people used for their videos in vimeo or youtube. But i tend to see a descending order: F3 (S log), C300/100 (c log), FS700 (cinegammas), FS100 (pseudo cinegammas).

I also must admit that i don't think these Canon C's are that good for handheld work. There is absolutely no chance to stabilize them by pressing them against your body without a rig. Maybe I am alone with this, but the FS form factor is better in this aspect. Not when it comes to flexibility or interviews from higher positions of course.

Maybe i just have to learn to accept this or that shortcoming and decide which one I can work with best...
 
The biggest advantage the F3 is going to have over the FS700/FS100 for documentary/run-and-gun shooting is a good 2 stops of dynamic range. The extra DR gives you a level of leeway with your lighting and exposure that the 11.5-odd stops of the FS cameras won't. Which could in turn allow you to work faster with it.

That said, if I were only shooting documentary-style work, I'd probably opt for the C300 over the F3, ergonomically it's just much better suited to that style of work, and by not needing an external recorder - it remains a much lighter and small camera package to wield - you just have to protect your highlights more than you do with the F3.

Thats exactly what I thought. But the C300 will cost (me) definitly more than the F3, which is a bargain at 6700 Euro.

The advantage of the C300 is it's compactness more than the form factor and the "all-in-one" package with a good internal codec (allbeit only 8 bit). I can also use my canon glass (Tokina 17/2,8 - Tokina 28-70/2,8 - Canon 80-200/2,8L).

Has anybody ever used the Optitek Canon ProLock i-mount? It should be possible to change Iris without externel box, but it isn't exactly cheap...

The FS700 will be cheaper thanks to the Metabones Smart Adapter for my lenses and the batteries and sd-cards vs. SxS-cards on the F3. It has built in ND's and is lighter than the F3. But the ability of the F3 to handle difficult situations regarding light is a no-brainer for me. I think one can learn to use the F3 handheld too, maybe it's a longer way to to learn. I should rent one at least for a small project...
 
I have the FS700 and it's great. Very nice image, not video looking at all if you use faster lenses, cinegammas and shoot more towards the wide open range. I think the big advantage (or at least from what I've read) of the FS700 over the FS100 is the Cinegammas. They're great profiles and require very little tweaking to get great highlights and colors. FS100 owners are constantly tweaking their profiles and it seems like it takes a long time to get it right. FS700 is great right out of the box, and you can tweak as much as you want. Plus, FS700 has much less sensor reflection issues.

C100 is a big NO go for me. No 60fps is super lame in 2013. You'd be surprised at how often you start using the slow motion once you have the ability to. It can just add so much drama to a shot, especially documentary B-Roll. For example, last week I was hire by The Bravo Channel to film some B-Roll of the Rose Parade. I shot it all in 60fps and 120fps and the client was completely blown away by how incredible the parade footage looked in slow motion. Not possible at all with the C100 or C300.

The FS700 is a very versatile camera compared to the C100 and C300 who can't even shoot slow motion. Sorry, C300's soft, half res 720 slow motion does not count in 2013.

As for the F3, I can't comment since I don't own one. I think the big disadvantage is to get the great looking 4:4:4, you need a recorder which add considerable bulk.

I guess you just have to look at what your needs are. If you mainly just shoot 24fps narrative and news / reality type stuff, C100 might be fine. But if you shoot stuff like music videos, sports, artistic pieces, beauty type shots and B-roll documentary, Slow motion is a must.

On a final note, I personally like the ergonomics on the FS700 and FS100. I shoot a lot of barebones handheld, and the FS cameras are so great for that if you shorten the Loupe, then it's like the best Z-Finder ever. If you hold the camera with your right hand underneath the base, it's an extremely well balanced handheld camera, much better than any DSLR for handheld stuff.

Personally, I think the ergonomic brilliance / run-and-gun nature of the C300 is just Canon marketing BS that has brainwashed people, because the biggest ergonomic weakness on the C300 (and this is a big one) is that the LCD and audio is a separate unit that you have to attach and that makes the camera a lot bigger. The C100, the EVF is really small and it's not rotatable which really limits it's use. On the FS700 / FS100, the Loupe, the LCD and the XLR audio are all one unit = compact and easy to fit into a backpack which is great for run and gun. There's no way you can fit a C300 into a backpack with a lens on and the LCD/audio unit. For a true run and gun camera, you need both the EVF and LCD as one unit that you can quickly take out of a backpack, and that is not the C300.

Overall, I really love the FS700. I just wish they would make the internal codec 4:2:2 and I would be over the moon.
 
Last edited:
If you can afford the C300, one idea would be to wait a couple months for the f5 to come out.

That is a drool-worthy camera to say the least. Has much better ergonomics that the Fs100/Fs700/F3 and did you see the test video on its dynamic range and low light capabilities? The test showed you could go four stops in either direction (overexpose or underexpose) and still have usable footage. I could see that being ideal for documentary work.

still would be the optilock for the canon lenses. But this would probably be my ideal camera.
 
The F5 will be a winner - no excuse.

But totally out of budget for me - body only will be 2x F3. No way...
I also can't really see what it delivers more for my specific needs. There are no ergonomics at all without extra rigging, extra finder, extra, extra, extra.

I would by the FS700 if I had never seen the difference with the F3 - and I am speaking of the internal S log 8bit 35MBit codec. For me (what I have seen so far) the difference between the FS700 and the F3 can be huge, especially in highlights and noise.

In my films I tend to use very slow editing. Sometimes shots can be 5 minutes and more without one edit, so a (digital) noisefree picture is much more essential than anything else.

I think i should begin with the F3 and 24-35-85 Samyang Cine lenses and simple adapter, better microphone, tripod, 2 spare batteries, 64GB SxS card and a big bag for everything.
I am waiting for a long term film offer. If I get it - optilock and ninja samurai will follow. More lenses later...

Bad idea?
 
I agree with Mr. Morgan_Moore. I own an FS100 and I love it. The camera was the least expensive part of the kit and the 18-200 is well ...what it is and fine for a few things. Buy one and buy a good matte box, good filters, a good rail setup, mine is Berkey systems and all the other things you will need. In the final analysis most of what you buy will move from one camera to the next and when you add gear to your kit add pro level well made equipment, not stuff that sorta works. If you are not in a hurry to buy then wait a month or two for the big shows that come every year like NAB where even more new cameras will be released and those that are currently on the market will drop a bit in price. Though I thought about it I am happy I didn't upgrade to the FS700 since I don't need the features it offers and get along fine with my ND filters and my Ninja 2 which is a nice investment and worth its weight in gold. 4.2.2. would be nice to have and my next camera will be the F5 this summer.
Just my two cents... Good luck.
 
The F5 will be a winner - no excuse.

But totally out of budget for me - body only will be 2x F3. No way...


I think you should stop and have a good think about your real budget over 3-4 years

Now I dont know your personal situation finances or workload, but there are times when it is worth digging deep into the pocket.

In my stills photography life I bought two costly cameras, a H1 and digiback and a nikon D3

Now I had to lease these but both of them lasted 4+ years*, (compared to the annual upgrade of my D1, D100, D70, D80, D90, D200) and those expensive leased cameras actually provided FAR the best value. (and are a creative joy to use)

if you see the four year picture you might find a lease on an F5 is good value.

You have seen the F3 half in a year.. thats one of the most expensive cameras ever.

So..

Option 1) Lease purchase an F5

Option 2) buy a used FS100 and enjoy it while you save up for an F5

Im pretty much on option 2.

A lot of my choice not to get a F3 or C300 was emotion. I just did not want to part with that much cash to get something that I wouldn't actually enjoy, or enjoy like a hasselblad or nikon D3 which are superb tools

S

*in fact my hasselblad is still wonderful in the studio (5k 16bit) and my D3 is great but the files a little small in D800 world
 
Last edited:
I think you have your pricing wrong Erik.

The F5 is priced at $16.5K. That is not much more than the F3 which is around $14K. For only a few grand more, the F5 just makes more sense IMO. Plus you get a great internal codec without having to connect to a recorder which is really nice IMO.

i seriously think with such a small price difference for so much more camera, the F3 days are numbered.
 
Last edited:
Even I, who don't even use the FS700 to make money but as a hobby. I already started saving up for the F5. Look how sexy it is compare to the FS700

f5r5side.jpg
 
I think that it is inaccurate to say the F5 is $16.5k. The body costs that but viewfinder( depending on which) and batteries and recorder bring it up another fifteen grand probably or more.
 
To use any of these cameras (professionally) you will power them from Vlock and use an EVF or monitor
IMO building any of these cameras is equally costly

(unlike red which 'forces' you to buy a touch screen monitor)

The F5 viewfinder is optional - you can use a zacuto/cineroid/smallHD etc


S
 
Just saw the footage that came out of F5 yesterday. It does looks amazing but gee it is not cheap.

 
Thank you for all your help.

But please don't forget that the F3 will cost the same as the FS700. At least for me. That's why I think the F3 will be best balue for money...

I don't think the F5 will do any better than the F3 in HD. It's a 4Kbetter camera and so is the sensor...
Just think about the difference between FS100 and FS700. Without those extra cinegammas, the FS700 would look worse. The signal-noise ratio is better with the FS100. Okay, the F5 will have some nasty electonical magic inside, but the physical resolution for HD won't be any better than with the F3.
And I'm not that interested in 4k. I was doing films with SD a long time when most people had their problems with HDV. My clients can't even use the films in HD but in some sort of SD resolution most of the time.

Newer isn't always better.

Same with photography. I don't like the D800 that much. It's an amazing camera as some others too. I like the EOS 1Dx much more.
More resolution in the specs doesn't necessarily mean a better picture output. Don't forget lenses, light and framing...

I don't think I can afford proper 4k lenses with the money my clients like to pay. With the F3 I would be able to produce HD on a top level for the cost 50% higher than the FS700. But only because all the additional accessories are much more expensive.

The F3 is an ugly box - as was my Hasselblad 500Cx, which I used up to 2004 with great success.

Nevertheless, thanks for the inspiring discussion here. Really enjoy your comments!

Erik
 
Last edited:
These are just some web videos, but it's also what one can expect:






I absolutely like how the F3 is pushable without producing noise in the shadows. This means no problem with protecting your highlights by underexposing. Even with internal S Log on SxS it's really great if you know what you do...
I call that flexible. Maybe C300 or F5 or FS700 seem to be flexible too, but in another way. You can always change lens, finder, have a rig or external recorder but you can't change the sensor or the internal handling of colour or dynamic range.
Of course I never really worked with the F3 - it's still just a guess from an untrained eye.

The next weeks I will work with 5DIII and the C300 a lot. After that I'll rent F3 and FS700 for some time and then make a decision before my next project starts.
 
Back
Top