which is the better camera and why?

  • Thread starter Thread starter martin096
  • Start date Start date
M

martin096

Guest
Hi

its time i get myself a new camcorder but I can't decide whether to chose from the Sony SR12 or the Canon HG21. I'm slowly getting to know the difference between cameras but I just want to make I chose the better one from someone with a better camera knowledge than me.

here’s some specification between the 2 cameras:

Canon HG21
http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Camcorders/High_Definition_HD/HG21/index.asp


Sony SR12
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665291496

hope you can help


Thanks
 
According to camcorderinfo.com the HG21 is the better camcorder....
It produces sharper images with better colors....
It's also cheaper,etc...
However manual focusing is almost impossible on HG21....
The SR12 has a small wheel which is very useful for this...
 
I couldn't help but notice on that site the JVC GZHD7. sure its a little more then what i would like to spend but looking at the quality on vimeo.com it looks amazing and i think it would be worth that little extra longer to save for. The Hard Drive is a little on the low side (60 GIG, 5 Hours of video) but i suppose i can't be to fussy.
 
manual is all the way for me, i can't stand my camera, its nothing but automatic so i can't really do much focusing, exposure or shutter. but quality is just as important. i think i may invest in this camera just before Xmas just so i have an excuse to shoot a special occasion :happy:.
 
The HD7 was criticized on review sites for the low light performance, but customer reviews from Amazon, B&H,etc. are very positive!
Also from the footage I've seen on Vimeo,etc. this camera can shoot fantastic images if you know how to handle it. The auto mode is not very good but on manual controls you can get really great images!
 
Ignore camcorderinfo they always give canon higher marks worthy or not,i have the SR12 and its picture is brilliant better than my FX7 3 chip hdv,auto focus is not the best or wind noise from the on board mike i use my rode stereo with mine,but a great solid well built cam.
 
i went to look at the SR12 in shops today and i was very impressed by the look of the camera. i have took the JVC out the picture i couldn't get enough facts on the camera and i didn't like the reviews. I'm soon going to another store to view the Canon HG21. this is it now, i got to make the final choice a week and a half before xmas which camera i chose.
 
Don't forget...the Canon HG21 has 24p and 30p recording. If you do any sort of narrative work, those are invaluable features. On the other hand, the Sony has an AWESOME screen--the same one that's featured on the EX1. But if I were to get one of the 2 cams, I would choose the Canon.

My $.02.
 
i'm going for the canon HG21. i am happy with the reviews and your right. I'm excited to get this camera :D
 
Back
Top