Which combo with the AF100 makes most sense?

What is more important a good HD Field monitor and Lens (Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm)

Its supposed that AF-100 has a proper high definition monitor, Barry green confirmed that in other post, so dont trash your money.
 
That's true Pal.... but sometimes the client or the lighting department or the sound guy likes to peep over and see the image. You do present the whole lookyloos from peeping, but that's okay if they are paying the bill.
 
No more Field monitor:

No more Field monitor:

Okay, I agree - I will wait on the monitor for now.

This is what I am thinking after some good advice on this forum:

AF100 Video Camera
Lens - Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm
Panasonic Lumix 20mm f/1.7 Aspheric G- Series Lens
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14 - 45mm f/3.5 - 5.6 ASPH / MEGA O.I.S.

Plus a cinebag for the camera and lenses. :)

Is it December yet?

:smile:

Simon
 
Hi Barry,

Good question. I thought I need faster lens to accompany the 14-140mm lens.

What would you recommend?

Thanks!

Simon
 
You will need a faster lens, yes, but that 14-45 isn't it. It's only barely half a stop faster.

I'd say put the money towards some cheap/fast Nikon or Canon lenses and an adapter. The 14-140 is a good all-purpose general lens in all ways but one -- the speed is pretty slow. You should be able to pick up some fast single-focal-length lenses quite inexpensively that would be in the f/1.4 to f/2 range, and that will make a huge difference over the f/4 to f/5.6 of the 14-140.
 
Hi Barry,

Good point. I am new to lenses.

My wife uses the Canon 7D (for photos) and has 3 lenses (all ef lenses).

Are there any lenses that I could use on the AF100 that she could use on the Canon 7D?

I will look for some cheaper canon lenses that you mention that are MUCH faster.

thanks,

Simon
 
:)

:)

Wow! I knew that but I thought I need to wait until the adapter comes out where the AF will work with the AF100. Or am I getting confused.

I just checked her equipment, she has:

EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens
EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras

All slow lenses but still great that I can use them with the AF100. Would I still need the Lens - Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm?

So with an adapter like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Thirds-Adapter-Olympus-Panasonic-DMC-GF1/dp/B003150B6O

I can use the above lenses right away? cool.

One last question, could you recommend a few cheaper canon lenses that are fast. I found this one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Standar...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1285221449&sr=1-1

I appreciate the help and guidance.

Simon
 
Yes you could use the above lenses right away, but not in automatic mode, and changing the aperture on EF-S lenses would be clumsy unless you waited for the Birger adapter.

If you had access to those lenses, you should wait and try them out before spending any more on anything else. One area where the Lumix 14-140 would have a decided advantage is in autofocus; it's designed to have silent/fast video-style autofocus. If you need that, then the 14-140 is the lens to get. If you don't need that, it doesn't seem like you'd need the 14-140.
 
I would skip the 14-140. Not only is it slow but it is not sharp in the tele region as well.

These two:
Panasonic Lumix 20mm f/1.7 Aspheric G- Series Lens
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14 - 45mm f/3.5 - 5.6 ASPH / MEGA O.I.S.

Seem like good inexpensive ways to cover your wide angle/indoor shooting needs.

Then you can get very inexpensive manual lenses to cover more standard/tele:

Canon FD glass is very cheap and plentiful on ebay. You can probably get a 28mm F2.8 FD and a 50mm F1.4 FD for around a hundred each. But, they are strictly manual lenses.
 
Zuiko 35-100/F2 seams to be a great lens if you look at the focal and how fast it is. Not cheap but I can imagine something like it to stay on the AF101 in most situations.
 
Zuiko Digital
14-54mm
F2.8-3.5 II
$599.99
Nice range, fairly fast, moderately priced.

Zuiko Digital ED
14-35mm
F2.0 SWD
$2299.99

Zuiko Digital ED
35-100mm
F2.0
$2499.99

Fast but mo money.
 
Honestly, before spending much money of lenses that may not fit your needs, I'd recommend renting. Lens Rentals has a great selection of MFT/FT lenses that you can try before buying.
 
Thanks guys!

Good response.

I am learning a lot thanks to this thread.

I am sure I will change my mind another 100 times before December.

:smile:

Simon
 
if gh2 has great 1600 iso, the 14-140 would make it a decent event/all around video cam similar to hvx200..
 
if gh2 has great 1600 iso, the 14-140 would make it a decent event/all around video cam similar to hvx200..

No Power zoom though right? Are there any powered zoom lenses we can mount on the GH1/2 and AF-100 that will "truly" make them as capable/versitile as say an HVX-200, etc...?
 
Back
Top