Where is UGA when you actually need him?

If need be, we would spend a bit more, but the water is a necessity. Solar power is iffy at best, only about 6 good hours a day on sunny days, and panels are expensive too. At best, you might be able to get 20% of what you need from it. Wind is a little better, but not much when you consider you really need at least 10mph winds, and most of Georgia averages at half that. With water, unless it is a seasonal creek or stream, will give you up to 60%, all the time.
 
Well, it looks like the 25 acres in Washington county is the fore runner. It sits a little south of Sandersville, lots of trees and hardwoods, a decent stream, and not much at all for miles around it. Spent several hours up there yesterday and trampled through about 60 acres of brambles and at least 3 different counties, and this was the best one. Still going to look around some though.
 
***STATUS UPDATE***
Ok, we have more or less decided on the 25 acres south of Sandersville. The owner accepted our initial offer, and came back with a different deal than what he agreed to. We offered 10% down on August 21st, balance over 10 yrs at 9% at $2,600 an acre. He wanted 15% down, and a 5% Earnest Fee at 9% and he paid closing. The 5% is in case we back out, he keeps the money for the hassle, but it is applied towards the down. That is close to $3,200 we need to pay now. I asked what happens if he backs out, and was told we could sue him for the money back. Our last offer was 10% down @ 10% over 10 Yrs, but now he wants us to pay closing. I said we'll think it over and get back to them. Overall, the price is really good, but I'm getting the Heebies over this fee.

Then our Landlord calls the wife, asking if we are ready to sign another lease, our time is up at the end of this month. So much for being able to get ready at a slightly more leisurely pace. We have a little more than 2 weeks to do this, or sign another 1 year lease, and pay on two properties and traveling back and forth for the next 12 months. Or, option C, get a temporary place up there while we get sorted out. Still two rent payments either way.

And to top it off, the wife hasn't gotten a Georgia Nursing license yet, or a serious job lined up. On the other hand, there is a VA Hospital in nearby Dublin, and she doesn't need a Georgia license to work there. But again, no job lined up yet.
 
***STATUS UPDATE***
Ok, we have more or less decided on the 25 acres south of Sandersville. The owner accepted our initial offer, and came back with a different deal than what he agreed to. We offered 10% down on August 21st, balance over 10 yrs at 9% at $2,600 an acre. He wanted 15% down, and a 5% Earnest Fee at 9% and he paid closing. The 5% is in case we back out, he keeps the money for the hassle, but it is applied towards the down. That is close to $3,200 we need to pay now. I asked what happens if he backs out, and was told we could sue him for the money back. Our last offer was 10% down @ 10% over 10 Yrs, but now he wants us to pay closing. I said we'll think it over and get back to them. Overall, the price is really good, but I'm getting the Heebies over this fee.

Then our Landlord calls the wife, asking if we are ready to sign another lease, our time is up at the end of this month. So much for being able to get ready at a slightly more leisurely pace. We have a little more than 2 weeks to do this, or sign another 1 year lease, and pay on two properties and traveling back and forth for the next 12 months. Or, option C, get a temporary place up there while we get sorted out. Still two rent payments either way.

And to top it off, the wife hasn't gotten a Georgia Nursing license yet, or a serious job lined up. On the other hand, there is a VA Hospital in nearby Dublin, and she doesn't need a Georgia license to work there. But again, no job lined up yet.

the owner did not accept your initial offer. he came back with a counter offer. if he had accepted your initial offer, both parties would agree to the details in writing and you would have a document with signatures of both parties.

it is common to put down earnest money for a purchase. the amount of earnest money you put down is negotiable. as far as your ability to get the earnest money if you back out, it depends on how the contract is written. if you buy the property "as is", then if you back out, he keeps the earnest money (with possible exception of you can't get financing). or you could chose to have the contract worded such that you can get out after an inspection (with land, a percolation test) if things don't go well. finally, you could have it so you can get out for pretty much any reason.

when the deal closes, earnest money will go towards the purchase. you won't get a refund check of $3,200. i would try to negotiate a lower amount for the earnest money.
 
PK, try this- http://www.georgialandcompany.com/catalog/manage/prodDetail.asp?ID=41379#detail

UGA, you surprise me! A serious answer... to the topic? Are you sick boy??? LMAO! Yes, I understand that if WE back out, the money is forfeit. My concern was what if HE backed out for whatever reason. It is owner financing, so that isn't an issue. As for the amount of the fee, we were told by the realtor that 5% is normal. Like I have said, I have never dealt with this before.
 
PK, try this- http://www.georgialandcompany.com/catalog/manage/prodDetail.asp?ID=41379#detail

UGA, you surprise me! A serious answer... to the topic? Are you sick boy??? LMAO! Yes, I understand that if WE back out, the money is forfeit. My concern was what if HE backed out for whatever reason. It is owner financing, so that isn't an issue. As for the amount of the fee, we were told by the realtor that 5% is normal. Like I have said, I have never dealt with this before.

5% is likely what they typically request from the buyer. but the amount of earnest money is always negotiable. i know that because i used to be a realtor.
 
Thanks PK. Half of me is hoping we don't get it, because then life as we know it is going on a long vacation. It will be a purely frontier experience for at least the first six months. No toilets, water, or electric. If we survive, it should make a good doc. If we don't survive, put the footage together and set it on the shelf next to Grizzly Man.
 
That explains why you took this so seriously and answered like you did :) What would you suggest we offer?

i have absolutely no clue. haha. i've been out of real estate for several years and i don't know what comparable properties in that area have been selling for. but if you've already been talking about one price with the guy and then you suddenly start going lower he is going to get annoyed and won't want to work with you.

if you do end up doing a documentary about living in the wild, remember not to eat the poisonous berries. :beer:
 
if you do end up doing a documentary about living in the wild, remember not to eat the poisonous berries. :beer:
I do like berries, so there might be a chance of that. I am familiar with blueberries, blackberries, and red raspberries, so as long as I stick with those, I should be ok. It's the shrooms that will likely get me. What does a Morel look like again?
 
That looks great, and well new experiences are great!....and by the photos featured in the page you can tell that it is a great place to film anything....
 
Back
Top