When will owning an HVX be more practical?

Waiting is always an excellent idea.

Prices will fall, new higher capacity will come, best technologies will arrive, etc....

But, sometimes you just can't wait and you have to go with the best available choices at the time.

I whish I could wait another 6 months before buying a camera.
 
RayFrisby said:
I was all set to buy the Cineporter when released, I still may; but one thing is making me re-think going with Cineporter and not the P2 workflow; Weight.
When using the Cineporter and Firestore you are effectively tied to the camera with a cable. The implications when using it on a jib or steadicam mean that as well as cables from Audio to mixers and headphones, wireless mics etc you have another cable to contend with: and the HVX is not a big camera; so it can get pretty cluttered.
If I do go with two 8gb P2 cards and a P2 Store I have a proven workflow which can store almost 3 hours in total in 720 25p (Cineporter 150 min and two 16min cards. APROX). OK it costs more but I'm thinking the whole idea of being tethered to another device is just another thing that can go wrong. And if I do decide to use my laptop and DV rack for monitoring and recording I can be sure my footage is also safe on the P2 Card as well.


Yeah, it just seems like a mess. If you're moving around a lot, you take a chance of knocking out cables and such. Plus, the weight on the cineporter already looks like an issue. Lots of wear and tear on one's arms and shoulders after holding that thing for long periods of time.
 
philnerd said:
Nothing wrong with a 'wait and see' attitude. With new P2 capacities and related price adjustments, the Cineporter and potentially new AVCHD cams all right around the corner... waiting probably isn't such a bad idea if you don't need the camera now.


My DVX will keep me going until the time is right to buy a new camera. Maybe if I get hired to do a huge project, I'll reconsider.
 
Back
Top