When does voting end?

Wednesday, November 12 at 12:00 (noon) PST (California Time)



edited to change the date in case anyone comes in here and stops at this post
 
Hmm. There wouldn't be a possibility of extending that by a couple of days? I really want to watch and comment every entry.
 
I'll push it out to Monday, November 12. Still at 12:00 (noon) PST (California time). It will not push out any more than that.
 
Thank you! I really appreciate that. I would feel terrible if I didn't have time to rate and properly comment each entry.
 
25 more films to go,

I also have a question about the voting, all w have to do is rate them then on the 12th you'll collect the results right? I dont see anything that says submit or send. just changeable ratings.
 
probably what he meant.

Jason... you just rate them as you go along or all at the end... whatever your preference. Once you cast your vote, it is in the database. You can update or change your ratings for any film and the system will recognize that.. YOu can do that only until the end of the first round of voting though.

2nd round will be only for new votes. Films you haven't voted on out of the finalists.

later,
Jason
 
I actually meant, Monday, November 10 ... but will leave it as it stands.


Wednesday, November 12, 12:00 noon (california time)




Jason M - No, if you vote for all the films on the first pass then those votes will carry through to the second round and will remain fixed. In the second round you can vote for any of the finalists for which you didn't vote during the first round.
 
I think that's better than it was last time (where the votes in the 2nd round could be changed). It was said somewhere here, and it is true, that they should be rated as they stand individually not by the competition.
 
i didnt even know there was a second round, guess it doesn't matter I'm not really comparing one film to another when I'm rating just on how good I feel they are on their own, how they make me feel, production value, story and so on.
 
Hehehe!

Looks like I got it wrong last time also..

I thought I can only vote for five best entries ( like one 5 stars, second 4 stars,.. )


And I don't know how I got that idea..

Good to know now for sure..

The second thought is on voting on finals.. Why not to change your scores later.. On lets say presidential elections, you can change your thoughts.. As you watching less amount of movies later, you can decided more prone than after watching 74 movies..


Cheers, this timeI will be more focused on voting rules


:)
 
Last edited:
Larry,

I have never voted before so excuse me if my questions sound stupid or redundent.

Are we voting for "we like everything in it" short or are there categories for best audio, best lighting, best story ect.?

Thanks,
Chip
 
Chip...

Everyone will have their own system, and certain aspects of the film that weigh more heavily on how they respond.

It's kinda just however you come to the decision that a film is about an 8 out of 10, or whatever. I remember Gage rates all the films based on several different criteria... sound, directing, acting, etc, etc, etc. Then he would throw out the high and low scores and average the rest. So maybe he had 7 categories and they were rated as: 10, 5, 6, 7, 8, 4, 7. The 10 and 4 might get thrown out, and then he would add and average the remaining five.

And, I think that was a very thoughtful and thorough way of doing it. Now as a voting system for the fests, that has been tried in the past and doesn't work well. You just end up with a bunch of spreadsheets and a lengthy, potentially confusing voting system, etc. But, it's great (I think) when folks do that kind of thing on their own. Likewise, I also think it's just as fine if someone watches a film and responds kinda like "That was alright... hmm... I'm gonna give that a 6", or "Wow... That was pretty dang cool... I gotta give that a 9".

Not really what we had in mind if it were something like "hmm... I definitely want this to win, so I am going to give it a 10, and I'll just give everything else 5's for the most part" (an extreme example to illustrate the point).

The system is pretty straight forward now (we think) in it's execution and allows you to decide for yourself what makes a film good, or bad.

We just don't want the "ranking" monkey to get a hold of you. :) The system is setup to encourage treating each film as it's own entity rather than just one of a group of films that you must rank. Again, the audience response as a whole will take are of that part.

At least that's the idea.... :)

Take care,
Jason
 
Back
Top